BRX Expedition Trailer Roof Replacement

I have a 2018 BRX Expedition trailer and the plywood sheet that is underneath the exterior of the roof is rotting out and needs to be replaced.

I am trying to decide if I want to do this repair job myself so I pulled back a section of the exterior molding to try and determine if the roof just consists of an exterior thin sheet of aluminum and the plywood sheet. That is what it looks like, but I'm not sure.

I have searched this forum and several others and so far have not been able to find any threads or info about replacing the roof on an expedition or teardrop (factory built, not homemade/DIY) style trailer.

If anyone has done repairs or a replacement to a trailer roof your insight and experience would be greatly appreciated. I would like to have at least some idea of what I am getting into if I try to do this repair myself.

Attachments

• IMG_5105.jpg
    IMG_5105.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5106.jpg
    IMG_5106.jpg
    1,015.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5100.jpg
    IMG_5100.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5093.jpg
    IMG_5093.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 35

DFNDER

I’d still try to get the company to fix it. They should be concerned about their reputation enough to want to fix it. A professionally built trailer just shouldn’t fail that soon. Then again, wood in a trailer is always a risk.

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

Did you buy it new direct from the MFGer?

If so did you call them for assistance?

Looking at thier website they are not cheap. That is a crazy amount of rot for a 5 year old trailer. You would think they could do something

@DFNDER @Obsessed2findARuggedHybid @BuckinghamBuilt

I bought it used. I suspect it was actually stored outside and not covered most of the time.

I have been in communication with BRX but so far haven't got an answer if they can fix it. I know it's out of warranty and I am willing to pay, I just want it fixed. There are numerous things that I have already had to fix since I bought it.

I can't find a FB owners group but I did post the same photos and details in several overland trailer FB groups. So far I have not been able to find anything on Google, YouTube, Facebook, etc. about replacing/repairing an overland trailer roof or even about the construction. Everything I have found so far is about "regular" RV rubber roofs.

Where did you buy it? This expensive of a trailer should be designed to store outdoors. Like I said unless it was buried in snow all winter that is some crazy rot. Do you live near NC ?

BuckinghamBuilt

@DFNDER @Obsessed2findARuggedHybid @BuckinghamBuilt

I bought it used. I suspect it was actually stored outside and not covered most of the time.

I have been in communication with BRX but so far haven't got an answer if they can fix it. I know it's out of warranty and I am willing to pay, I just want it fixed. There are numerous things that I have already had to fix since I bought it.

I can't find a FB owners group but I did post the same photos and details in several overland trailer FB groups. So far I have not been able to find anything on Google, YouTube, Facebook, etc. about replacing/repairing an overland trailer roof or even about the construction. Everything I have found so far is about "regular" RV rubber roofs.

What model is that BRX trailer. I can't tell from your pics if its a teardrop or square style. If the latter I don't see it being hard to remove and replace that entire roof yourself. Heck you could even insulate it better.

I suspect that the previous owner did not maintain that camper at all as it looks like the entire perimeter is rotted so this is larger then just a small leak from a bad seal where water entered.

Think this is your rig? If so likely a rental. This could explain heavier then normal use. Did not see any posts of issues on these rigs but thier FB page is company owned and they likely delete negative posts. They seem well built. You would think they could at least help youScreenshot_20230226_100821_Facebook.jpg

Think this is your rig? If so likely a rental. This could explain heavier then normal use. Did not see any posts of issues on these rigs but thier FB page is company owned and they likely delete negative posts. They seem well built. You would think they could at least help youView attachment 767419

+ @BuckinghamBuilt

Yes, that is who I bought it from but that specific picture isn't my rig. It is the same model, different roof rack, tent and wheels. It was a rental and I have a rental business in GA as well.

In an interesting turn of events I actually got an e-mail from my contact at BRX earlier this morning with an update that someone would be reaching out to me this week thankfully.

I also learned that while it was owned by Rove it was submerged in deep water several times and was not fixed correctly. None of this was disclosed to me when I bought it from them.

Based on the 3 for-sale posts I have found for the same model they do seem well-built. Hopefully I can repair it back to good condition but this has ended up being an expensive lesson learned.

Wow sounds like they dragged it under water like a submarine. I think folks get carried away do to the " off road" marketing and lack of common sense of these type of rigs.

Hope they step up. They seem like a decent build and company. Maybe they will someday get rid of the wood in the structure. Lots of rain in the south east

Wow sounds like they dragged it under water like a submarine. I think folks get carried away do to the " off road" marketing and lack of common sense of these type of rigs.

Hope they step up. They seem like a decent build and company. Maybe they will someday get rid of the wood in the structure. Lots of rain in the south east

Hopefully so. Stay tuned - I'll post an update once I talk with the person at BRX.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12