Building an Expedition-Worthy 2005 4Runner

sacto_patrol

Adventurer
I'm now the proud owner of an '04 4Runner and building it very similar to yours. Can you provide an update on the tires? Do you still like them?

DrJohn

Observer
I'm now the proud owner of an '04 4Runner and building it very similar to yours. Can you provide an update on the tires? Do you still like them?

Congrats on the new runner!

Still love em. I haven't really done any rock crawling or mud bogging with them yet though. So I can't really give a well-rounded review just yet. But they handled great on the light offroading I've done so far, and their highway ride/noise is much better than previous MT tires I've run.

FireGuy

Adventurer
Hurry up with the CBI bumper!:victory: I am in the market for a new rear bumper myself and I am looking forward to hearing about your impressions of yours.

kirkmoon

Neat set up. Love what you have done with the truck.

Just out of curiosity, where do your dogs sleep? In the back of the truck or in the tent?

The reason I ask is that I have a medium sized dog that I would like to take on similar kinds of trips and have been thinking about setting up a 4Runner for this purpose but I haven't been able to figure out an arrangement that would work for the doggie. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

DrJohn

Observer
So any updates...I know you have something else to get on the vehicle. I will call you soon.

Hey Brant, it's on and looks awesome :coffeedrink: I had to get right back into the field after installing it, so I haven't had a chance for photos, but I'm going to try and wash the rig today and post the results.

DrJohn

Observer
Neat set up. Love what you have done with the truck.

Just out of curiosity, where do your dogs sleep? In the back of the truck or in the tent?

The reason I ask is that I have a medium sized dog that I would like to take on similar kinds of trips and have been thinking about setting up a 4Runner for this purpose but I haven't been able to figure out an arrangement that would work for the doggie. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I put the rear seat down and let the dogs sleep in the cabin of the 4runner while I'm up in the tent. I was thinking of trying to hoist them up in the tent, but the husky is very dramatic and would probably never let me lift her over my head. It is nice to have a hair-free tent though :victory:

bobDog

Expedition Leader
I put the rear seat down and let the dogs sleep in the cabin of the 4runner while I'm up in the tent. I was thinking of trying to hoist them up in the tent, but the husky is very dramatic and would probably never let me lift her over my head. It is nice to have a hair-free tent though :victory:

Jeez! Plain as the nose on your face! a small circular stair case from the rear deck up thru the roof to the floor of the RTT and a few dog biscuits in the tent.:wings::coffeedrink:

DrJohn

Observer
Jeez! Plain as the nose on your face! a small circular stair case from the rear deck up thru the roof to the floor of the RTT and a few dog biscuits in the tent.:wings::coffeedrink:

:D That's exactly what the husky had in mind.

DrJohn

Observer
I always have at least 2 basset hounds around me so I tend to think like a lazy dog.
:smiley_drive:

She would probably prefer sleeping in the Fridge/freezer with her coat:

3849596532_9a321174b9_o.jpg

DrJohn

Observer
CBI Rear Bumper is On

OK, I finally got around to taking some pictures of the rear bumper. The CBI bumper is a quality piece! And it was an easy install, if you have help or a large floor jack. Many thanks to Steve and Brant at CBI for their excellent customer service.

I started installing the rear bumper, but I didn't have any help lifting it. I had balanced precariously on a floor jack, with several 2x4's and a weightlifting bench to add height, but I couldn't quite get it where it needed to be without help. Plus I had to get back on a survey a.s.a.p., so I took it into 4-wheel parts for the final stage (lifting it and bolting it on). There was a muffler shop next door where I got the muffler spot welded back on (had to remove the muffler attachment to slide the bumper on).

I've already had it in the field for a few days with the bumper on. Kudos to Steve for great engineering. Everything works flawlessly - easy and quick swing-out for access to the rear; easy on and off gas can locker; wingnuts for hi-lift jack attachments and plenty of options for locking your gear; pre-drilled quick-fist attachments on gas can carrier, etc.

Here are the photos:

3856976154_ee024eb368_o.jpg

3856191447_9dcbd44465_o.jpg

3856976208_76961e0ac4_o.jpg

Close-up (check out those weld beads!)
3856187421_7b418c692d_o.jpg

3856976226_ef4fc9e4a4_o.jpg

I bolted on an ammo can to keep the gasoline accessories out of the cabin. It will also be a good place for trowels and other hardware necessary for archaeological surveys.
3856976262_6822c6cd46_o.jpg

They even threw in a killer decal:
3856187205_86274d044a_o.jpg

CYi5

Explorer
Awesome man, turned out great! I'll be ordering a couple of their gas can holders for my own bolt on jerry can swing out soon enough. I like what you did with the ammo can, very functional! Maybe line it with some of that drawer padding to cut down on the rattling inside?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78