Building the AlumEscape

2012Taco

AlumEscape
Nice trailer. Got any pics of what your interior looks like when your using it? Just wondering about the functional space that is available and how you set up your interior when out on the road.

Thanks johnnieutah, I don't think I've got a shot like that at the moment but I'm gonna try to get a video posted up very soon with a tour of sorts of the inside. My gopro was giving me fits today and recorded the whole thing with no audio lol

2012Taco

AlumEscape
Thanks BSR, the punched plate was a stroke of luck for me as I stumbled across it while picking up other materials at the steel yard. I love the look and function of it plus it gives lots of options for mounting and moving stuff in the cargo areas of the frame without drilling holes all the time.

I do have some upgrades in the work this winter spring - I plan to make some changes in the wheel and tire department and upsize a bit to match my tow vehicle. Beyond that I'm exploring heat and awning options and generally trying to fine tune what I carry and how I organize everything.

V2.0 would hopefully be an aluminum frame to trim weight. I'd consider enlarging the body some (maybe 5' wide body, maybe 4'-6" at peak, 9' long?); the overall frame width would be the same to match my tow rig. Heat for sure, and I'd love to squeeze in some type of pullout kitchen.

2012Taco

AlumEscape
More updates! Plated in the fender wells with a skin of diamond plate to help protect the thinner skin underneath. I also bent this sheet to wrap under the frame a bit to keep water and roadspray from being driven up into the floor/wall seam.

IMG_2309_zps876c091b.jpg

IMG_2311_zps121bc0e7.jpg

Just toying with storage options. The boxes on the left are actually containers for kids toys.

IMG_2316_zps9e797611.jpg

IMG_2354_zpsb43bb1fe.jpg

IMG_2358_zpsac01f3b7.jpg

Mocking up the cooler location. I've since picked up an ARB 50qt that I keep in my tow vehicle so I'll probably give the cooler the boot this spring and fab up an aluminum chest for storage instead. The propane tank mount was fabed up using a bracket for a forklift tank. Along with building the mount from the floor to the bracket I cut the paddle latch and added the head of a ring eye so that it can be locked up!

IMG_2370_zpsb297ba01.jpg

IMG_2417_zps21d06771.jpg

IMG_2422_zps454fb3e1.jpg

IMG_2419_zpsc90f8003.jpg

Cut some stretch cord with hook ends and installed pad eyes to keep my totes in place.

IMG_2426_zpsbebf0f73.jpg

Good deal on new tires and I cleaned up my old steel wheels and painted them up. I also polished the old trim rings and bought some new center caps. NOTE - these have been run for ~3,000 miles now and I plan on making changes to this setup in the next few weeks.

IMG_2443_zps3a892190.jpg

IMG_2458_zpsdedf3f34.jpg

IMG_2463_zps13af50dd.jpg

:beer:

BSR

Utter Numpty
I love the look and function of it plus it gives lots of options for mounting and moving stuff in the cargo areas of the frame without drilling holes all the time.

:iagree:

I do have some upgrades in the work this winter spring ... exploring heat and awning options and generally trying to fine tune what I carry and how I organize everything ... some type of pullout kitchen.

Cool. Look forward to seeing the report in the spring on how the upgrades go, especially info on awnings.

Thanks very much for sharing, best of luck. :wavey:

BayDog

Question

Awesome professional looking build!
I was wondering where you got your temporary shed you are working out of? I could really use one of them to get my project done!
BayDog

2012Taco

AlumEscape
:iagree:

Cool. Look forward to seeing the report in the spring on how the upgrades go, especially info on awnings.

Thanks very much for sharing, best of luck. :wavey:

Thanks BSR - I'm excited about the prospect of the upgrades too. The awning is creeping higher and higher on the list as my Ez-Up canopy has seen better days; I had a washout day on a trip to Maine in late spring last year and woke up with what had to be 15 gallons of rain water pooled in the canopy that nearly blocked my inside the camper haha. Luckily I was able to bail it out without too much harm other than a bent up Ez-Up and some scratches on the body of the camper from the canopy frame.

I'm not set on what direction I'll go just yet though. The Foxwings have always caught my eye but I'm worried that I'll be short on headroom and it's a lot of staking to get one setup and secure with any light wind. There's the always reliable ARB bag awnings but it doesn't seem to be an "elegant" solution. I've also considered a Kelty Carport setup that I spotted here on another build as it provides some side weather protection that would expand my usable space when weather has me otherwise locked in.

I'm certainly open to suggestions here!

2012Taco

AlumEscape
Thanks BayDog!

The shed setup was one of those Black Friday deals from PepBoys I think? I've had it for a few years now (probably close to 10??) and I've certainly extracted my monies worth! The poles that come with it for legs are pretty light duty and failed in the second or third year that I had it when we had some gnarly summer storms roll through. After that I sunk six 10' PT 4"x4"'s 3' in the ground and bored the tops to take the roof pieces which has worked for the last few years and has made it quite sturdy. I've replace all the tarps a few times now too but that's to be expected. It's probably due for a new top but I'm trying to hold off 'til spring for that. About the only thing you need to do to use it year-round is keep the snow load to a minimum in winter; I knock it clean with a broom from the inside once it gets 3 to 4 inches on it.

:beer:

BSR

Utter Numpty
I'm not set on what direction I'll go just yet though. The Foxwings have always caught my eye but I'm worried that I'll be short on headroom and it's a lot of staking to get one setup and secure with any light wind. There's the always reliable ARB bag awnings but it doesn't seem to be an "elegant" solution. I've also considered a Kelty Carport setup that I spotted here on another build as it provides some side weather protection that would expand my usable space when weather has me otherwise locked in.

I'm certainly open to suggestions here!

I know what you mean. You certainly need plenty of height on the vehicle to mount on in order to get headroom with a Foxwing, although they are beautifully made bits of kit.

For a while, I used a Caranex awning on the back of the truck, lots of room for cooking and stuff. Not sure if you have them where you are, but they're great on a budget.
caranexh3.jpg

When I can afford to actually build it, my camping trailer will have a Tepui tent with awning underneath which will give me headroom for cooking.
Tepui_Tent_Autana.jpg

Be interested in which way you decide to go.

KLT88YJ

Observer
Haha thanks, feel free to lift some ideas for your work! You have a thread going for your trailer?? I googled the Pikes Peak one on lunch break today and it looks like it'd be a great option for taking on the trails with you to more remote and challenging destinations.

I've been away for a while. Thanks! I don't have a build thread, I've thought about starting one for it. When I made it I didn't take step by step pics, slightly phases lol. I just might make one up with what I have though.

Looking forward to your future upgrades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woodienut

Thanks Reboot11133 - I understand where you're coming from. I originally wanted to have a bit more of a rounded nose on this one but never came up with a way to do so without either losing the strength and using multiple plys of very thin material or shaping some dimensional lumber in a laminate (sort of what you see for the columns at the home supply stores) and losing the insulation space. After some cad renditions I decided on this boxier shape and am really pleased with the result!

As far as weight goes, she's a big girl. My estimate during the build based on material takeoffs was a tad over 2,200lb and it turned out close - around 2,100lb loaded with gear. The strength definitely cost weight but I'm happy with the trade-off. My Tacoma tows it without issue and the 3,500lb axle is overkill but were worth it for the brakes alone.

To do it again I'd strongly consider building the frame of identical design but from aluminum stem to stern. I also would consider going to all 2"x2" construction and lose the 2"x4"s. Perhaps shed a bit more with slightly thinner plywood. To be honest, I would almost consider doing the above with 5'x10' sheets and gain an overall larger space for close to the same finished curb weight.

Maybe the next one?? :rolleyes:

Apparently great minds think alike. Mine is 5'X10' and FYI it weighs 2,900 Lbs., it WILL sneak up on you.
Great build, very nice quality, be proud and enjoy it!

Oops some are sideways????

Attachments

• Swing-A-Way8.jpg
    Swing-A-Way8.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 89
  • Phone4.20.14 041.jpg
    Phone4.20.14 041.jpg
    564.6 KB · Views: 112
  • Phone 1.1.14 032.jpg
    Phone 1.1.14 032.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_3148.jpg
    IMG_3148.jpg
    545.2 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_2417.jpg
    IMG_2417.jpg
    520.6 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_2482.jpg
    IMG_2482.jpg
    510.7 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_2481.jpg
    IMG_2481.jpg
    511.7 KB · Views: 80

2012Taco

AlumEscape
Apparently great minds think alike. Mine is 5'X10' and FYI it weighs 2,900 Lbs., it WILL sneak up on you.
Great build, very nice quality, be proud and enjoy it!

Oops some are sideways????

Beautiful work, would love to see a build thread!

Looks like the weather is going to be pretty lousy here tomorrow so hopefully I'll get some updates to my build on here!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger