Buying a Montero (3rd Gen)

Plumberjohn

Observer
I ended up getting the Limited for $3850 certified and emission tested. The body and interior are in great shape. I think it was a decent deal here. There are more expensive ones on the market here, and with higher KM's.
Happy with the purchase.

newworld2004

Adventurer
I got a 04 Ltd for $2800. With 200k on the clock.

$4k+ with 220k seems a bit steep, unless it's in immaculate condition. If they throw in the timing belt, spark plugs, water pump change, then it may be worth it.

Valve cover replaceable isn't that hard. Takes some time if you are meticulous like me.

Blinking light may be the freewheel engage solenoid. Mine would work in cold weather then disengage at hot running temp. $30-150 replacement. Unless you find one from a junkyard.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

I have been looking for last year , where are you guys getting these great deals?

Swank Force One

Adventurer
I got a mint 03 20th anniversary with 109k miles, documentation of early 60k service, fresh OME HD lift, valid smog, and new Duratracs for $5500.

Found on the internet. Bought it. Just gotta be ready to act instead of hemming and hawing and finding reasons to NOT buy.

Plumberjohn

Observer
I saw an 03 limited in BC for $2000! Ad listed quite a few maintenance items taken care of. If it wasn't on the other side of the country, it'd be worth a look.
They seem to pop up, but they do go quick.

loremordred

Observer
I have been looking for last year , where are you guys getting these great deals?
I agree.

I used craigslist and searched from the Oregon to San Diego, for weeks. Every now and then you get a special pop up.

I live in LA and drove down to La Joya to get mine.

Best places to find them, LA, Phoenix, Orange County, IE, San Diego, Ventura (occasionally), Bay Area has good finds at time.

loremordred

Observer
I got a mint 03 20th anniversary with 109k miles, documentation of early 60k service, fresh OME HD lift, valid smog, and new Duratracs for $5500.

Found on the internet. Bought it. Just gotta be ready to act instead of hemming and hawing and finding reasons to NOT buy.
Man I wish I'd found that one.... All inclusive

newworld2004

Adventurer
there is one 03 20th Anniversary with 133K , but Timingbelt.WP is done and asking is $6500, I believe it is too high for that millage, blue book is $4500. some sellers adding maintaance to their asking price which should not be like that.

Swank Force One

Adventurer
That's a good price. You seem to be intent on finding reasons to not buy a truck. You were considering paying more for a worse truck two weeks ago, but this one is too much?

Swank Force One

Adventurer
If you use screaming deals that other people got on the other side of the country as a benchmark to judge if your own vehicles are a good buy or not, you'll never buy anything, especially if you're not ready/willing to hop on a plane to California or PacNW tonite.

My experience was not typical, so i wouldn't consider it relevant, other than a "maybe i shouldn't invest $7k into a truck with 200k miles." $6500 for a 20th with 133k with timing belt/water pump documented is a good deal. This is your chance, go get it!

clmrt

Adventurer
there is one 03 20th Anniversary with 133K , but Timingbelt.WP is done and asking is $6500, I believe it is too high for that millage, blue book is $4500. some sellers adding maintaance to their asking price which should not be like that.

Blue book values do not apply to these things. Condition + Documented Maintenance History uber alles.

newworld2004

Adventurer
If you use screaming deals that other people got on the other side of the country as a benchmark to judge if your own vehicles are a good buy or not, you'll never buy anything, especially if you're not ready/willing to hop on a plane to California or PacNW tonite.

My experience was not typical, so i wouldn't consider it relevant, other than a "maybe i shouldn't invest $7k into a truck with 200k miles." $6500 for a 20th with 133k with timing belt/water pump documented is a good deal. This is your chance, go get it!

Thx, just want to be clear that timing belt/WP work done by his mechanic at his work place so it is not documented it is word of mouth. that was my hesitation , also he is saying all fluid was changed by him? is this something I can go for?

clmrt

Adventurer
So, you're asking the internet if you can trust a guy from the internet about claims made via the internet on a car being sold on the internet...

Receipts for the parts must exist. No docs = no proof. A pic of the dipstick would be better. A video of the truck at idle, cold start, 4wd shifting properly, all windows operating, that would be worth something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman