C4500 Ambulance Camper

OverlandFT

Cool, sounds almost exactly like what I built and it's been a solid setup. Only hiccup I found was that the ATV winch was really loud inside the camper. I wrapped it with sound deadening mats from Amazon and it cut down the noise significantly. Also, my wife was concerned about a kid playing with the winch switch and getting squished. I solved that by replacing the switch with a keyed momentary 3-way. The igus wire carrier is a good idea!

cjken

Explorer
Got the Kings mounted!
Went for a short drive.
08eb98709ac4ee73119e3834642c4e90.jpg

Ride is much improved.

Thrillbur

Very nice build. Looking for suggestions where to source a low mileage C4500 w/14 ft box. Also anything special to look for with these trucks. Any major pitfalls?

Happy New Year.

cjken

Explorer
Thanks!! Honestly I am new to the c4500 platform. I know a lot more about the E350’s at this point.
I’m kind of learning as so go.
Most are 14 foot boxes I found a rare 12 footer.
I think pre 08 is best because the emission system became more complicated at that point.

I got the prototype elevator bed working today.
I’ve been avoiding diving deep into the electrical, but I think that is next on the list.

Happy new Year!!

cabnetguy

I am also curious about the King shocks. How do the King smoothie shocks compare in performance and price to a comparable fox shock?

cjken

Explorer
The kings feel much better than what was on there. To be honest I have not put many miles on them yet. I’ve got the back of the truck apart so am avoiding driving much till I get things buttoned up.
I could not find Fox Shocks made to fit the Kodiak. I have to say the Kings seem better built than the Foxes that I had on my Quigley.

cabnetguy

Thanks for the info. I'm getting ready to rebuild the front suspension on my E-350 box truck using weldtec lift and fox shocks and was wondering if is worth using King shocks instead.

danneskjold

Thanks for the info. I'm getting ready to rebuild the front suspension on my E-350 box truck using weldtec lift and fox shocks and was wondering if is worth using King shocks instead.

Kings are King for a reason.

In my experience correct valving for the weight is what will really make a difference with shocks for heavy trucks, and Kings are really good at valving.

cjken

Explorer
The snow has slowed my progress.
However, I have most of what I need to finish the electrical systems.
For now I have a stop gap measure of mostly keeping all Ambo systems on a separate branch of 12v.
Not sure it is the best idea, but it will allow me to get everything functioning. I can always slim down the Ambo system later when I have time.

So as of now I am going to have

1 . cab/engine 12v
2. Ambo 12v (hooked to house batteries with a cutoff switch) still have some unexplained current draws that will be sorted out eventually.
This system will only be switched on when necessary since many of the attached devices are inefficient.

3. Camping 12v

4. Inverter powered 120v

For now 2-4 are on 340 AH lithium batteries.
These are charged by solar and/or shore power.
I currently have 3 standard batteries as well 2 are for starting 1 is orphaned and isolated. These all charge via alternator. I plan to run a DC-DC charger from the orphan battery to my house bank.

Question:
I have room on front of engine for an accessory.
Should I mount a second alternator or a engine driven compressor??
2nd alt could give me some redundancy which would be nice, but the truck is kind of air hungry with air ride rear, seats, and proposed tire inflation tank.
Thoughts???

c7225463dbd6e455b9402b51f53fe7bf.jpg

Korey H

The snow has slowed my progress.
However, I have most of what I need to finish the electrical systems.
For now I have a stop gap measure of mostly keeping all Ambo systems on a separate branch of 12v.
Not sure it is the best idea, but it will allow me to get everything functioning. I can always slim down the Ambo system later when I have time.

So as of now I am going to have

1 . cab/engine 12v
2. Ambo 12v (hooked to house batteries with a cutoff switch) still have some unexplained current draws that will be sorted out eventually.
This system will only be switched on when necessary since many of the attached devices are inefficient.

3. Camping 12v

4. Inverter powered 120v

For now 2-4 are on 340 AH lithium batteries.
These are charged by solar and/or shore power.
I currently have 3 standard batteries as well 2 are for starting 1 is orphaned and isolated. These all charge via alternator. I plan to run a DC-DC charger from the orphan battery to my house bank.

Question:
I have room on front of engine for an accessory.
Should I mount a second alternator or a engine driven compressor??
2nd alt could give me some redundancy which would be nice, but the truck is kind of air hungry with air ride rear, seats, and proposed tire inflation tank.
Thoughts???

c7225463dbd6e455b9402b51f53fe7bf.jpg

I need to figure out my alternator output so I can back into a B2B charger. As to air I’m kind of thinking the Sherpa Big Air as I’m planning for one of their 25k winches.

Their compressor is plug n play for our separate air tanks. Seems like good potential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cjken

Explorer
Found (Hopefully my last) air leak.

Mounted tires on rims, then rims (wheels for Mr. 7-ton guy so as not to use the incorrect nomenclature) on truck.

So far runs smooth. No balancing except for front Centramatics. Will get them balanced at some point just to be sure, but I can’t complain for now.

Working on interior slowly.

Got electrical mostly sorted and working
Solar (500w)
Victron controller and 3000w Multiplus.
Still need to add DC-DC charger.

Planning on adding a lift pump soon.

dde6ac1245b72c8b4ebccc2ed18de384.jpg

27bec2bad872561fb156655f84505e0d.jpg

59a00c9822b7ae644eb2f5d4b11b83a5.png

b498ac01dd55fff2284ce3e3a873843f.jpg

f8de204f60806ddaf5150736bdff2a90.jpg

5b6e475bae52b98255a5462231dd64de.jpg