C4500 Ambulance Camper

cjken

Explorer
Not much to report.
Been using it quite a bit locally for trips to the beach.

d55ba42bc0e94eeff0a080f99774eb7e.jpg

cjken

Explorer
Thinking about adding a generator.
I got this running recently.
Would it be crazy to mount on the racks over the cab?
Other option is in back outside cabinet, but I like that spot to store tools.
908d6f32f43c94d3c314f8d4077acf2a.jpg

I also gave a Harbor freight predator 3500 which is actually quieter than this, but a bit awkwardly sized for where I want to put it.
Just going to run occasionally too top off batteries when I need to run air conditioner for extended periods.
Solar seems to keep up fine under most other situations.

Reactions: mog

rlrenz

Explorer
Ozzrockrat installed the same generator a few years ago on his Freightliner medium ambulance- he installed it between the frame rails below the rear doors, with access through a door he added right above the rear bumper. Look it up here on the Expedition Portal

Reactions: mog

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Ozzrockrat installed the same generator a few years ago on his Freightliner medium ambulance- he installed it between the frame rails below the rear doors, with access through a door he added right above the rear bumper. Look it up here on the Expedition Portal

You can find it HERE
gen.jpg

cjken

Explorer
Thanks. I don’t think that I have enough room behind my fuel tank, but I’ll take some measurements tomorrow.

Hey how did you find your Kodiak? was it on craigslist or an online auction site? Im looking for one very similar and trying to find sites to search for them

baggio95

Yeah, it sold for like $28,500. Had 150kmi and the check engine like was on. I saw it listed by someone in the Salt Lake area for $75k last week and they didn't do anything to it. The previous twin to this one sold at the same auction for around $32k in June and had a little bit lower miles if I remember correctly.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Hey how did you find your Kodiak? was it on craigslist or an online auction site? Im looking for one very similar and trying to find sites to search for them
Try searchtempest to do a nationwide or regional search on Craigslist. I've had good success with them.
My truck as found on Craigslist (it was for sale with or without the service equipment on back)
c4500cenc.jpg
Ebay Motors is an option. I search the 'other vehicles' with 4x4 in the search bar HERE , and a nice variety of 'large' vehicles come up.
commercialtrucktrader has lots of trucks where you can search by make, key word, region, etc. From experience, a lot of the ads are quite old (I seen some up for over a year), which I guess the seller (dealers) just leaves up to generate traffic/inquiries.

cjken

Explorer
Yeah, it sold for like $28,500. Had 150kmi and the check engine like was on. I saw it listed by someone in the Salt Lake area for $75k last week and they didn't do anything to it. The previous twin to this one sold at the same auction for around $32k in June and had a little bit lower miles if I remember correctly.

Do you have a link to the listing in SLC???

Here is a recent photo of mine.
Chipping away at the project bit by bit, but have been using it a bunch for windsurfing trips to the local beaches.
9c59465567341fceb6af8bc4c7774c67.jpg

bd0da7847e4569a82882af30f6598f14.jpg

baggio95

Looking good!

I've been lurking around watching your progress. Once I can finish up my van build and get it sold, my plan is to get to work on my C4500 build. In the meantime, I use it for trips up to the mountains as well as hauling just about anything I can fit in it.

Are you ever Upstate with your rig?

Here's a link to the SLC listing. They clearly didn't make much of any effort and used the pics from the auction listing.
Overland Camper (DIY) 6x4 AWD 2007 Chevrolet C4500 6.6L Duramax... (craigslist.org)

cjken

Explorer
Thanks for the link.

I end up coming up to the Warrensburg/Lake George area a few times during the summer usually.

cjken

Explorer
Did the rear brakes. Was going to do the fronts, but they still have some good meat on them. All in all not a difficult job. Took a bit longer than i expected just because everything is so heavy so I worked slow.
2fcd5b35adc3bac1a0b0b367fdecce55.jpg

5d6d8516765ab3e3416e0b0f4c1f8a73.jpg

aeff7cb978504d607c7763a5541798d5.jpg

0d26354f01c274292f3a60d03f0fe029.jpg

baggio95

Nice! Looking good. I may try to tackle mine after I track down a slow air leak somewhere underneath. Do you know the torque spec for the lug nuts and what size they are?

cjken

Explorer
I heard the torque specs on the lugs is 400 ft*lbs. Confirmation on that would be appreciated. The lugs take a 30mm socket not sure of the thread in The studs.

My main air leak was from the leveling valves. Also had a compressor that was leaking from the head. Swapped all that out.

Installed a lift pump yesterday. Went in Pretty easily.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears