C5500 TopKick 4x4 Crew Cab Build

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
Nice truck, you will be more than surprised in the handling and braking upgrade with the bigger chassis.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
That truck looks a beast! It will be fun to see it with your camper setup.

What was it used for in its former life, that it is a 4x4? I see Adidas on the gas tank....

NeverEnough

Adventurer
That truck looks a beast! It will be fun to see it with your camper setup.

What was it used for in its former life, that it is a 4x4? I see Adidas on the gas tank....

Factory 4x4, and it's actually WAY nicer in the cab, thanks to its former life as promotional vehicle for Adidas. They used it to pull a trailer around to events. I dropped some coin getting it checked out, including a dyno, and it's in great shape, 50K miles. Tulsa Truck is doing the chassis and suspension work.

I also finally have an excuse to paint everything! Desert Tan baby!

And it just occurred to me I should probably rename the thread- open to suggestions....

NeverEnough

Adventurer
Nice truck, you will be more than surprised in the handling and braking upgrade with the bigger chassis.

Thanks for all the input, BTW. It was a big help in making the decision, significantly less money than the new one up at Glover.

Now I need to think about tires.....

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
The "Lightly Used International 7400 Crew Cab 4x4 With The DT570 Motor Custom Camper Epic Super Turbo Family Hauler (with trailer) Build Thread"

Or something like that.

DocGary

I'm a sucker for bigger trucks. But because this is what I drive everyday
esage6as.jpg

Internationals are a great platform to work with.

DocGary

I'll be about 5" taller when all's said and done, but still should be able to squeeze under 13', even if I have to dump a bit of air to do it. BTW, buyer of my Topkick couldn't close in case anyone's interested. Reposted adds on Truck Paper and Commercial Truck Trader today.

You should be alright as long as you stay under 13 feet 6 inches that's the standard height of 18 wheelers like I Drive

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4

NeverEnough

Adventurer
You should be alright as long as you stay under 13 feet 6 inches that's the standard height of 18 wheelers like I Drive

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4

I got a chance to spend some time last week at ATA's national truck driving championships here in SLC. Amazing skills displayed.

There's a few underpasses in Utah and Wyoming that are 13', but not many. I'd hate to be a YouTube star, ripping the A/C unit off the camper!

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Well I think you are going to be very pleased with the differences on that truck vs the topkick. The t-kick is nice, but this thing is going to be great. With a little weight on the back it should even ride pretty nice.

Looking forward to seeing it put together!

NeverEnough

Adventurer
"Too Much Is" the obvious choice, given your screen name and the general scope of this build. Either that, or "Dreadnought".

:clapsmile

Can't remember if I ever explained my handle in this thread. It comes from never having enough time (or guts) to get out truly explore the world we live in. Not sure how I ended up with an inescapable compulsion to take on too much, but it's a blessing and a curse. I can't even begin to tell you how many things I would do different about virtually every project I've dived into, including a few that got so messy I just had to cut my losses and bail. This project is no different. It took way more time, money, and effort than I thought it would. However, it's been incredibly rewarding. I'm sure my next camper will be much smaller and lighter.

And while it's great for "camping", my personal preference will always lean towards lean and light (and burning considerably less fuel!), like enjoying this past weekend in Burnt Fork, High Uintas. It's just a lot harder to get the rest of the gang motivated!

CA_09031314373772-M.jpg

Me, sporting the same Moutainsmith backpack I've used for 30 years, and three of my boys at Fish Lake (poorly named, and one of many in Utah, BTW!) in upper Burnt Fork. When it comes to my backpack, there's always too much!

CA_09031314375879-M.jpg

As for the new beast, it'll start getting chopped up this week. Still checking out options for the rear suspension. The stretch will make it a good 16" longer than the Topkick setup, due to the size of the International's cab.

shachagra

Adventurer
I am psyched about your new chassis! I think you will feel so much better with those massive wheels beneath your work of art.
I vote for a new thread, but I'll be watching regardless.
When I decided on the International chassis for my truck, everything indication but the spouse said I should go for it. She thought it would be just too large. I'm glad we aren't completely emasculated in this country (yet)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman