C5500 TopKick 4x4 Crew Cab Build

LowTech

Dirt Track Traveler
I do have to say that in that size I prefer the Goodyear MVT's. We have them on the She Beast (Elise's M109). They have been way smoother on the pavement than my Mich.

. . . sent without me knowing . . .

NeverEnough

Adventurer
Those are good tires. They provide a very nice ride, and really seem to work well for us (the Army). I have heard very few complaints about them at all. The only thing is that when people leave them sitting for too long it can damage the tires occasionally, by splitting the tire a bit. Really, though, that happens on any tire if you leave it sitting for a year or two with that much weight on it etc.

I didn't think complaints were allowed in the army anyway : ) Thanks for the vote of confidence.

I do have to say that in that size I prefer the Goodyear MVT's. We have them on the She Beast (Elise's M109). They have been way smoother on the pavement than my Mich.

The truck on your avatar really is a beast, very cool. John, the owner of Stazworks that's doing my wheels, also runs the MVT's on his old International 7400. But the XZL's seem to be easier to source right now, at least at surplus prices. My plan is to run them at about 95psi on the highway. What pressure do you run MVT's on the highway? Hopefully I'll have a chance to try them both over time.

My new truck has had a busy week: suspension inspection, tune-up and drive train inspection, frame shop (it had some twist in the rails, $$$$), and alignment. It was an expensive week, but glad I've had everything thoroughly checked out to make sure it's road-ready. I also got around to having the subframe powder-coated.

CA_10121308445451-M.jpg

Due to popular vote of my boys, as well as Ford Prefect, I'm keeping the chassis black for now. I'll post some pics next week of the camper's new look, hopefully sitting on the truck.

LowTech

Dirt Track Traveler
The truck on your avatar really is a beast, very cool. John, the owner of Stazworks that's doing my wheels, also runs the MVT's on his old International 7400. But the XZL's seem to be easier to source right now, at least at surplus prices. My plan is to run them at about 95psi on the highway. What pressure do you run MVT's on the highway?
You're right, the Mitch's are easier to find (at the moment, but I keep watching ;) We've been running the MVT's @ 45psi Front & 35psi Rears (4). The truck weighs in at 1400lbs stock. We added the mod'ed rims and 395's I think total they are just under a ton. Don't really know how much the stock 11 rims and tires weighed. Added weight from the build is pretty lite, maybe 3/4 ton?
I started at 75psi and kept dropping it till the tread was flat on the pavement. I've also heard from others that they run them about the same.

I've been watching your build from the early days ;) Been very impressed w/ your creation. Hoping that in the next couple years some of or travels will be in the Utah/Colorado area, have been there since I started doing these rigs in Cali . . . sure am missing it, the whole "Four Corners" states are really my preferred stomping grounds. Maybe we'll run into you while we're "Dirt Track Traveling"

I'll let you know if I see any MVT's popping up :)

Last edited:

NeverEnough

Adventurer
You're right, the Mitch's are easier to find (at the moment, but I keep watching ;) We've been running the MVT's @ 45psi Front & 35psi Rears (4). The truck weighs in at 1400lbs stock. We added the mod'ed rims and 395's I think total they are just under a ton. Don't really know how much the stock 11 rims and tires weighed. Added weight from the build is pretty lite, maybe 3/4 ton?
I started at 75psi and kept dropping it till the tread was flat on the pavement. I've also heard from others that they run them about the same.

I've been watching your build from the early days ;) Been very impressed w/ your creation. Hoping that in the next couple years some of or travels will be in the Utah/Colorado area, have been there since I started doing these rigs in Cali . . . sure am missing it, the whole "Four Corners" states are really my preferred stomping grounds. Maybe we'll run into you while we're "Dirt Track Traveling"

I'll let you know if I see any MVT's popping up :)

Great info, I'm still waiting on the wheels and tires, hopefully they'll show up on Thursday so I can try them out.

I checked out some of your trip photos, very cool. Hopefully we can bump into you when we venture south.

Work has been busy, like always, but I've squeezed in as much work as possible. The cab improvements are almost done, including a new A/V head unit and ceiling TV. The rig had a massive subwoofer, speakers and Alpine amp, which sound great. I pulled out the old carpet and put in new stuff, so it smells like a new truck now.

Last night I did a marathon session at my buddie's machine shop fab'ing up the rear buckplate/winchmount/hitch assembly. With everything made from 3/8" plate and 1/4" tube, I needed a better equipment and skills than I've got. Lots of cutting to get started. Luckily he's got the tools and the talent.

CA_10221318315352-M.jpg

CA_10221318401858-M.jpg

We clamped all the pieces into place, the tack'd it together.

CA_10221318320306-M.jpg

We got a late start, so it was working in the dark most of the time. Doesn't matter much with a MIG : )
CA_10221318314958-M.jpg

After making sure the assembly fit and could be easily removed, all the joints got welded up.
CA_10221318313712-M.jpg

I still need to clean it up before taking it to get powder coated, but I'm very happy with the result. I'll fab up a locking door for the winch access, which is a Warn 16.5ti.

CA_10221318312632-M.jpg

CA_10221318311401-M.jpg

Everything is ready except for the new wheels, mounting the new front bumper, and the forward leveling jacks. I might take it out for quick test trip this weekend without the new wheels mounted so I can have a decent comparison.

CA_10221318310217-M.jpg

NeverEnough

Adventurer
What´s up? Anything new?

Thanks for the continued interest. I wish I had some photos and more news, but other priorities have dominated my time the past few months.

The camper is all fitted to the new chassis, and the new wheels and tires are mounted. I haven't had time to do a decent road test, but the 30 miles I've put on the truck make me pretty excited to do a trip. I like how the big singles ride. There are a lot of posts indicating rear singles don't track as well on the highway, but that's not what I've experienced.

I've got the rear winch mounted, still need to mount the front winch, and the driving/fog lights in the bumper. Other than that, she's ready to roll! Now I just need an opportunity to escape!

njtacoma

Explorer
a blurry picture with your phone would be fine...

Just something to wet the appetite.

I have enjoyed this build, and the learning process.

NeverEnough

Adventurer
a blurry picture with your phone would be fine...

Just something to wet the appetite.

I had to go over to the storage unit today to drop some stuff off, so I pulled the rig out for a quick photo.

RVPassengerside-M.jpg

I tried to make it blurry, but there was too much light! And you know your rig is too big when 47" tires look small!

The family wants to stick with the two-tone color scheme, even though it's going to a major pain to keep the truck clean. I hope I get some time before spring to finish up some details.

LowTech

Dirt Track Traveler
I like the color of the box, what did you end up painting it?

I'm sure that if I scrolled back though pages of post I'd prob find it :-/ I will if you want me to ;)

NeverEnough

Adventurer
I like the color of the box, what did you end up painting it?

I'm sure that if I scrolled back though pages of post I'd prob find it :-/ I will if you want me to ;)

PPG Amershield aliphatic polyurethane, recommended overcoat by the manufacturer of the original coating. Curious to see how it performs.

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
PPG Amershield aliphatic polyurethane, recommended overcoat by the manufacturer of the original coating. Curious to see how it performs.

Good stuff, I will be painting mine with that when the current finish needs a refresh. Looks really good on that truck, much more proportionate. You'll like the difference in trucks for sure!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger