CA license plate

gonejeeping15

Adventurer
Received my ham call sign CA lic. plate the other day. Directly below the call sign in small red letters is "dmv.ca.gov"

Kinda looks like a gov't plate on a Jeep?

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
They musta just added that recently. My latest custom plate doesn't have it. Get some white reflective tape and cover that up!

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Directly below the call sign in small red letters is "dmv.ca.gov"

I noticed that on a Cali plate here a couple weeks ago. My first thought was: "An official CA car here?"

Then realized it was just a regular plate with the URL on it. Kind of weird.

I like the State logo's better.

Fish

Adventurer
One thing with having your call sign on your license plate. DMV records are private. FCC records are not. So someone could use your call sign plate to look up your home address, if that's what was listed on your FCC record.

brussum

Adventurer
IIRC, I've seen the official state web address on some plates from Florida, Pennsylvania, and Ohio. Perhaps it's a growing trend.

kjp1969

Explorer
One thing with having your call sign on your license plate. DMV records are private. FCC records are not. So someone could use your call sign plate to look up your home address, if that's what was listed on your FCC record.

That's a good reason to use an alternate address, like work address or a p.o. box. I don't like the idea of using my call sign out in the Mojave (or worse, APRS position) and let someone know where I'm not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears