Calif Gun Rights=bill SB 249

Dave Kay

Adventurer
I hate to sound so ignorant but why have I neither seen nor heard ANYTHING regarding this law on radio or television? Is this some kind of a hoax?

Dave Kay

Adventurer
Ownership of an "assault weapon" is already banned in most cases by California law. The text of the amendment deals with kits that modify weapons with fixed magazine into ones with removable magazine. The way I read it, the weapon would not necessarily be confiscated, but the kit could be required to be removed.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/11-12/bill/sen/sb_0201-0250/sb_249_bill_20120522_amended_asm_v96.html

I want to point out that the date of that doc is Feb 2011, what is the story here?

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
I hate to sound so ignorant but why have I neither seen nor heard ANYTHING regarding this law on radio or television? Is this some kind of a hoax?

It is unfortunately not a hoax. What very well may be a hoax is what passes for news media in our state.

I want to point out that the date of that doc is Feb 2011, what is the story here?

The bill was originated in Feb 2011. As discussed above it was originally a bill that had something to do with an agriculture related issue that I'm sure was of vital importance in a state running an annual $17B deficit, but after being passed in the Senate it was recently amended by the auther to become a bill that would ban many semi-automatic rifles. Here's a link to the PDF of the latest version of the bill: SB 249.

It's often hard to read these bills because they are written to modify existing code, and you have to consider them in that context. The short description of the impact of this bill is that it would make it illegal to sell or possess any center-fire semi-automatic rifle that had one or more of the following features: collapsible or folding stock, thumbhole stock, pistol grip, forward pistol grip, flash hider, grenade/flare launcher.

I'd urge anyone who cares about this issue to visit www.StopSB249.org to learn more about the bill itself and what you can do to voice your opinion. We expect the bill will be heard by the Assembly Appropriations Commitee sometime this week.

Dave Kay

Adventurer
Thanks for the info Dave, I've only just now got over the shock and yes, it would be a no-brainer for ALL concerned to protest to the legislature. BUT---- I fear that will very likely do nothing to stop this action. Lawsuits and injunctions are probably the only option for CA residents to enjoin, and/or donate time/money/ whatever to beat this down. Another foreseeable problem is that the CA judiciary is notoriously liberal, e., g., pro gun control. So, if these zealots have their way, I see a really long and tough road ahead for gun CA owners.... maybe few options but to send your gear out of state or send yourself and family along too and just abdicate our Second Amendment rights.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
I agree it seems unlikely we can stop this from being passed by the CA legislature, but I urge folks to express their opinion nevertheless. Frankly, the best chance we have is if we can avoid a vote on the bill by some parlimentary stalling approach. The deadline for passing all bills is about the end of August (I haven't looked up the exact date this year).

I think there is a small chance that Brown might veto it if it reaches his desk. While he was running the CA DOJ as Attorney General people working for him were responsible for the regulatory findings that bullet button equipped rifles were legal. He may just be a smart enough lawyer to recognize that the state will have to fight this one in the courts and, and there is a good chance of defeating it there.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
I think its been like 20 years or so. No mass confiscations that I'm aware of? Pretty sure all my buddies still have their pre-ban "assault" weapons. I don't have my tinfoil hat on just yet. :)))

Have to go farther back in history, and away from the United States.

Hitler,

England,

Canada,

Historically, most firearm confiscations, started with 'innocuous' registration of said firearms.

FellowTraveler

Explorer
Have to go farther back in history, and away from the United States.

Hitler,

England,

Canada,

Historically, most firearm confiscations, started with 'innocuous' registration of said firearms.

Let's not forget China after their gun ban where 70+ million individuals were disappeared, but 99% always mention Hitler instead Chairman Mao.

Anyway, historically there have been confiscations of weapons in America easy way to find the data is search the phrase (s) "American domestic counter insurgency history", "America's bloody counter insurgency history" and similar phrases.

As a side bar; the last time any militia used its teeth to counter those who deny the power of the constitution was in Athens Tenn 1946 just about a year after the U.S military participation UN treaty was enacted into law by Truman what quickly followed was the successful elimination of the citizen militias across America therefore reduction/elimination of the threat by American citizens organized as militia. Know this; your government the ones in control now have made participation in militia activity an act of terrorism.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader

Especially important to be all over the Assembly right now, especially the Appropriations Committee. Call, write, email, fax, or all of the above.

See www.stopsb249.org for more info. Also, look for the letter from CA Association of FFLs for an excellent analysis if you want some key points for your communications with your reps in Sacramento.

This bill is on the agenda for this coming Thursday.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
As a side bar; the last time any militia used its teeth to counter those who deny the power of the constitution was in Athens Tenn 1946 just about a year after the U.S military participation UN treaty was enacted into law by Truman what quickly followed was the successful elimination of the citizen militias across America therefore reduction/elimination of the threat by American citizens organized as militia. Know this; your government the ones in control now have made participation in militia activity an act of terrorism.

Ah crap, is Virginia seceding from the union again?

Does this mean I live in a terrorist state?

Help me understand how I'm being subjugated by my government again, but this time with fact, not wild assertions....

Commonwealth of Virginia Bill of Rights - Article I, Section 13:

"That a well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state, therefore, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; that standing armies, in time of peace, should be avoided as dangerous to liberty; and that in all cases the military should be under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power."

The current Virginia Militia under Virginia Code § 44-1 states "The militia of the Commonwealth of Virginia shall consist of all able-bodied citizens of this Commonwealth and all other able-bodied persons resident in this Commonwealth who have declared their intention to become citizens of the United States, who are at least sixteen years of age and, except as hereinafter provided, not more than fifty-five years of age. The militia shall be divided into four classes, the National Guard, which includes the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard, the Virginia State Defense Force, the naval militia, and the unorganized militia."

OBTW, Virginia isn't the only state that has similar policies in effect or a standing milita.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Especially important to be all over the Assembly right now, especially the Appropriations Committee. Call, write, email, fax, or all of the above.

See www.stopsb249.org for more info. Also, look for the letter from CA Association of FFLs for an excellent analysis if you want some key points for your communications with your reps in Sacramento.

This bill is on the agenda for this coming Thursday.

I'm all over this.

FellowTraveler

Explorer
Ah crap, is Virginia seceding from the union again?

Does this mean I live in a terrorist state?

Help me understand how I'm being subjugated by my government again, but this time with fact, not wild assertions....

Commonwealth of Virginia Bill of Rights - Article I, Section 13:

"That a well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state, therefore, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; that standing armies, in time of peace, should be avoided as dangerous to liberty; and that in all cases the military should be under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power."

The current Virginia Militia under Virginia Code § 44-1 states "The militia of the Commonwealth of Virginia shall consist of all able-bodied citizens of this Commonwealth and all other able-bodied persons resident in this Commonwealth who have declared their intention to become citizens of the United States, who are at least sixteen years of age and, except as hereinafter provided, not more than fifty-five years of age. The militia shall be divided into four classes, the National Guard, which includes the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard, the Virginia State Defense Force, the naval militia, and the unorganized militia."

OBTW, Virginia isn't the only state that has similar policies in effect or a standing milita.

I should have made it clear that I meant the militia sheltered in the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America manned by the citizen soldiers as referred to these days as "unorganized militia" which would stand in the defense of the people themselves as a deterrent to any would be tyrant.

The other three purely military entities mentioned were created by statute as standing armies via ******** Act Aka; NATIONAL GUARD ACT along with various other statutory created entities like the state defense force or state guard are claimed in statute as the militia using propaganda to fool the constitutionally illiterate.

You forgot the fifth entity known as law enforcement, why law enforcement? Well under international law any entity that wears uniforms or not bears arms either concealed or not and uses military rank are defined as a standing army. So, you see I bet you did not even think of that one did you? Anyway, law enforcement nationwide is under the control of the DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE during any declared state of emergency, your state would have statutes and perhaps a military compact or two under something like an emergency management assistance compact, then support functions aka; ESF for law enforcement. REF: Virgina Bill of Rights; "that standing armies, in time of peace, should be avoided as dangerous to liberty, so what part of this do you not understand"?

Former US military officers/enlisted, Oath keepers and brave Sheriff's around the nation are getting fed up with the fraud too not just the private American citizens who are all on the CZAR's list of terrorist at DHS.................................Just so you know I wear that badge honorably too......................:ylsmoke:

You sir, need to do your homework as in history!

Last edited:

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
[snip of ludicrous diatribe filled with half-truths] You sir, need to do your homework as in history!

The United States is not subordinate to International law and their interpretations or definitions. At no time is LEO under DOD authority; I cite Titles 5, 10, 16, 18, 22, 25, 40, 42, 43, 44, and 50 of United States Code (USC) and numerous other DOD Directives and Instructions. LEO is governed under separate US Code, state and local policy. You are aware that the military is under civilian control, right? You do know that by federal law the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is the Lead Federal Agency in any domestic emergency or National Special Security Event?

But I'm being silly... really, what am I thinking. I engage with you on this topic and refute your confabulation with fact, but it really is fruitless. Despite any attempt on my part to have a serious dialog, you'll continue to pepper this forum with your wild assertions of conspiracy, mysterious government agencies, and international cartels out to subjugate our freedoms; you'll continue to counter fact with innuendo and fabrications of the truth.

However, these inane contributions are entertaining, but I caution at some point they turn into pathology -- like when you actually do what those voices in your head are saying. ;)

Let's just let it go and agree that you share one thing in common with my grandmothers fruitcake. :wavey:

FellowTraveler

Explorer
The United States is not subordinate to International law and their interpretations or definitions. At no time is LEO under DOD authority; I cite Titles 5, 10, 16, 18, 22, 25, 40, 42, 43, 44, and 50 of United States Code (USC) and numerous other DOD Directives and Instructions. LEO is governed under separate US Code, state and local policy. You are aware that the military is under civilian control, right? You do know that by federal law the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is the Lead Federal Agency in any domestic emergency or National Special Security Event?

But I'm being silly... really, what am I thinking. I engage with you on this topic and refute your confabulation with fact, but it really is fruitless. Despite any attempt on my part to have a serious dialog, you'll continue to pepper this forum with your wild assertions of conspiracy, mysterious government agencies, and international cartels out to subjugate our freedoms; you'll continue to counter fact with innuendo and fabrications of the truth.

However, these inane contributions are entertaining, but I caution at some point they turn into pathology -- like when you actually do what those voices in your head are saying. ;)

Let's just let it go and agree that you share one thing in common with my grandmothers fruitcake. :wavey:

This is a perfect example of one who has nothing better to do than call out names and insult one whose opinion they do not like, no biggie.
I see the illusion of freedom and liberty is real in your realm perhaps from behind a curtain FULL OF LIES I'm now willing to bet you specialize in psyops.

So, you deny Leon Panetta and cohorts telling the U.S. Congress that the U.S. MILITARY is beholding to the UNITED NATIONS and not the congress relating to its war making powers? In your mind that's civilian control of the military I'd bet. Again, see it in their own words; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zNwOeyuG84&feature=player_embedded
http://avalon.law.yale.edu/20th_century/decad031.asp

Or how about the U.S. Supreme court rendering rulings based upon international law? I won't waste any time citing the many cases you can research them yourself. I'm well aware of Codes cited are broad and always subject to interpretation and I reserve the right to interpret the PATRIOT ACT & HOMELAND SECURITY as a malignancy to freedom and liberty DIGEST THAT SOME along with your grandmas fruitcake!

Again, As for DOD controlling LE again see emergency management assistance compacts (military compacts); emergency support functions (ESF) for law enforcement within the various states of the union, but again you'll just deny they exist.

"The truth you can't handle the truth"!

You remind me of the phrase, "it may not be legal/lawful or constitutional but that's the way it is" doesn't appeal to me and a vast majority of private Americans these days.

I'm guessing you will just keep up the tantrum and stay in the state of denial I'll not respond further.......................Have a nice day.:ylsmoke:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior