Callen Camper visit.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Went by Callen Camper today. I met Tyler the new owner. Great guy and he and Jim Callen were working on three campers. Smooth sided or the traditional corrugated aluminum. Looks like great fit and finish and beefy as always.
Jim's sticking around to show Tyler the ropes for a time. Everything reminds me of my three Callens in the past on three trucks.
I'm stoked to see a small business continue the Callen tradition.

chet6.7

Explorer
Went by Callen Camper today. I met Tyler the new owner. Great guy and he and Jim Callen were working on three campers. Smooth sided or the traditional corrugated aluminum. Looks like great fit and finish and beefy as always.
Jim's sticking around to show Tyler the ropes for a time. Everything reminds me of my three Callens in the past on three trucks.
Cool,If Drifter can't get a full size model out soon, I may get another Callen. I would have bought a Callen if they were in business several years ago instead of the ARE.Did you take any pictures? I would like to see the smooth side model.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Naw forgot to take some.
Real nice quality. If I sold the popup the Callen would be my choice.
Three smooth sided ones were under construction. The pics depict Tyler's personal truck with the corrugated aluminum.
Website is so much better. I imagine photos of customer's campers will be forthcoming. Easy to find location in San Marcos,Ca.

nastav

Adventurer
When I lived in San Diego you could always tell the older Baja veteran surfers from the “drink coffee and never surf” guys....the Baja vets usually had a well-used Callen......they always exuded a certain gritty coolness to me.
I hope the new Callen owners find success with the business.
The Callen camper is still a very valid concept.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Yeah,I had three of them on three trucks. You do have to watch the stress on the bed rails. I saw a older Superduty @ San Elijo which had done some serious offroading to northwestern Baja. The bed sides in the front half had collapsed and bowed way out. He had the cabover version with additional height,the rack,an additional weight. I'd get an aluminum rack if I got one. The steel one they make weighs more than the camper it seems. Based on our conversation Tyler should do well.

CallenCampers

Cool,If Drifter can't get a full size model out soon, I may get another Callen. I would have bought a Callen if they were in business several years ago instead of the ARE.Did you take any pictures? I would like to see the smooth side model.
Hey chet6.7, we have some shots of the smooth sided shells on our instagram @callen_campers. We do plan to upload new photos to the website in the near future.

CallenCampers

Thanks for swining by Regcabguy!

chet6.7

Explorer
I don't need a slide in,but a pop-up wedge-type camper wide enough to sleep east/west,several inches lower than the 42 inch above the bed rail model,with straight sides,and barn doors. I don't know of anyone making it.The Drifter,if they ever get a full size out,will have angled sides,I don't think they are doing barn doors either.The GFC is not what I am looking for.The Overland doesn't have full size barn doors,and it's a full pop-up.
Callen,if they made it, would have the only one with these features.:love:

Clutch

<---Pass
I don't need a slide in,but a pop-up wedge-type camper wide enough to sleep east/west,several inches lower than the 42 inch above the bed rail model,with straight sides,and barn doors. I don't know of anyone making it.The Drifter,if they ever get a full size out,will have angled sides,I don't think they are doing barn doors either.The GFC is not what I am looking for.The Overland doesn't have full size barn doors,and it's a full pop-up.

Was thinking the same, tall enough to haul bikes, plus a popup to stand in for camp mode...be awfully nice for changing in and out of moto gear.

This is a Callen.

IMG_0852_2-L.jpg

chet6.7

Explorer
I miss the Callen I had years ago,but the height did limit where I could go. Parking could be difficult,some cities have a vehicle height limit in certain areas. It seems to me the Baja crowd would like this as well.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Locally there was a Callen popup for sale 8'. Never seen one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman