Callen Camper visit.

Clutch

<---Pass
I miss the Callen I had years ago,but the height did limit where I could go. Parking could be difficult,some cities have a vehicle height limit in certain areas. It seems to me the Baja crowd would like this as well.

Cities!? What the Hell you doing exploring the urban jungle!? Supposed to out in the back country! :) Be honest you just want it to fit through a drive-thru... ;):)

Years ago I was on a Baja ride, and the guy leading the group had a slick service body popup...not really for camping but gave me some ideas...if you could combine the two...be a pretty slick setup.

He was able to fit two bikes in there. Never did get any pictures of it, but amazingly found it on another forum.

full cover web.jpg

Found this build too.

https://xplorethewild.com/2015/06/18/xplorebaja-camper-build/#jp-carousel-51

img_7466.jpg

chet6.7

Explorer
:D My city had a pop of 2K,they passed a parking ordinance limiting the vehicle height in front of the restaurants on the bay.They survive on the summer tourists,I guess they don't want RV's parked there,they can park a few blocks away,fine in the summer,a PIA in the OR coast winter.

A camper that is tall enough to hunker down in in really bad weather but having the option of raising the roof to change into a wetsuit/waders,or get dressed. I can't get my rig into the garage,but I can get under the carport,a full size Callen would not fit .

Clutch

<---Pass
:D My city had a pop of 2K,they passed a parking ordinance limiting the vehicle height in front of the restaurants on the bay.They survive on the summer tourists,I guess they don't want RV's parked there,they can park a few blocks away,fine in the summer,a PIA in the OR coast winter.

A camper that is tall enough to hunker down in in really bad weather but having the option of raising the roof to change into a wetsuit/waders,or get dressed. I can't get my rig into the garage,but I can get under the carport,a full size Callen would not fit .

Gotcha.

I like that OVRLND camper, but no barn doors. After having a Wildernest for a better part of 10 years...lemme tell ya, climbing in and out of a tailgate gets old. Love the darn thing, barn doors or a single rear entry door like on a FWC would be great, that and, for quickie trail head clothes change it doesn't setup in seconds like a Vagabond (and the like) would either. Do like how compact and low it is though. I can get into some real tight spots with it.

Have no interest in a slide-in either, the other thing I love about the 'Nest is being able to hose out the bed. Camping and riding moto is an hertitately dirty activity...I see myself destroying a normal slide-in camper right quick.

Service body with Callen on top? Yes, please. Would use the shorter service body, where the height matches the current height of the bed rails. This would provide for seating and a base for fold out bed(s). I like the idea of compartment storage outside rather than tasking up room inside.

Clutch

<---Pass
Service body with Callen on top? Yes, please. Would use the shorter service body, where the height matches the current height of the bed rails. This would provide for seating and a base for fold out bed(s). I like the idea of compartment storage outside rather than tasking up room inside.

Some interior shots of it.

11200886_991860934192468_6174275916282236076_n.jpg

11012892_991861027525792_392524029349948155_n.jpg

Thanks Clutch. Notice how the gentleman’s legs are extended as he sits on the top of the box? A lower service body would drop that height to a more comfortable seating position. I think that type of set-up has real potential and your attached photos illustrate that point. ?

Added comment: since I still need to be able to use my truck as a truck, the cargo rails on the side of the body would be very useful.

Clutch

<---Pass
Thanks Clutch. Notice how the gentleman’s legs are extended as he sits on the top of the box? A lower service body would drop that height to a more comfortable seating position. I think that type of set-up has real potential and your attached photos illustrate that point. ?

Added comment: since I still need to be able to use my truck as a truck, the cargo rails on the side of the body would be very useful.

You're welcome. Yep, a lower service body would be about perfect.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Cities!? What the Hell you doing exploring the urban jungle!? Supposed to out in the back country! :) Be honest you just want it to fit through a drive-thru... ;):)

Years ago I was on a Baja ride, and the guy leading the group had a slick service body popup...not really for camping but gave me some ideas...if you could combine the two...be a pretty slick setup.

He was able to fit two bikes in there. Never did get any pictures of it, but amazingly found it on another forum.

View attachment 490636

Found this build too.

https://xplorethewild.com/2015/06/18/xplorebaja-camper-build/#jp-carousel-51

img_7466.jpg
I'll try and swing by Callen for some photos. They were working on three when I was there a few weeks ago.

herm

Adventurer
they could take some inspiration from the roamin' chariot campers. I have one and we love it. very simple, light weight, works great.

Fish

Adventurer
Well, guess who's got his Callen on a new truck. That's right, this guy. Unfortunately, someone other than Callen had to do it.

Not sure quite what's going on with Tyler and Callen. I swung up a few weeks ago to have him look at and measure my new truck. (2018 RAM 2500 longbed... basically the same as my old truck) We set up a time a week later (Jan 18) to bring the old truck up to measure the shell for a new rack and start the swap process. On the appointed day I called Tyler and he told me that he was shutting down the company at the end of January. Didn't have the heart to ask what happened, but maybe he'll pop in here.

chet6.7

Explorer
Well, guess who's got his Callen on a new truck. That's right, this guy. Unfortunately, someone other than Callen had to do it.

Not sure quite what's going on with Tyler and Callen. I swung up a few weeks ago to have him look at and measure my new truck. (2018 RAM 2500 longbed... basically the same as my old truck) We set up a time a week later (Jan 18) to bring the old truck up to measure the shell for a new rack and start the swap process. On the appointed day I called Tyler and he told me that he was shutting down the company at the end of January. Didn't have the heart to ask what happened, but maybe he'll pop in here.

Dang,I had exchanged emails with Tyler just a few weeks ago,I was thinking of ordering a camper, but wanted to wait and see how the soon to be released Vagabond full size was priced .Callen Campers posted today,I wonder what is going on.
https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/new-callen-camper-shell-1st-generation-tundra.202280/

Fish

Adventurer
Dang,I had exchanged emails with Tyler just a few weeks ago,I was thinking of ordering a camper, but wanted to wait and see how the soon to be released Vagabond full size was priced .Callen Campers posted today,I wonder what is going on.
https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/new-callen-camper-shell-1st-generation-tundra.202280/

He told me that he had orders for a few to build and that he'd just have time to get those done before shutting down, thus he didn't have time to swap over my shell. Maybe one of the sales fell through? I thought it was odd that they had posted pictures on Instagram, essentially an ad, the night before he told me they were shutting down. I really, really hope they manage to pull out of this and keep the company alive. I damn near bought a utility body truck since I knew Callen was back up and running... glad now I didn't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger