Callen Campers still in business?

Fish

Adventurer
Dantheman
I met the guy that was fabbing the 2 smaller campers a few weeks ago. Think his name is Carlos, he said he worked there in the past. He was doing some real nice work on those 2 campers....wish he woulda' built mine. With any luck they will have him fab the frame for yours?

I believe Carlos is the welder who had quit when my build was being done and then came back and finished it. A little chunky with a beard?

rynosurf

Adventurer
Anybody have any insight on what the specific disadvantages of the Bel-Air wood-frame cabovers are (other than rollover accidents, of course)? Why are steel or aluminum framed shells so much better as to justify more than twice the price?

A few reasons I can think of.

Steel frame may rust a little but wont rot out on you if it leaks.

You can attach a rack directly to the shell that will support you and your whole family if you want to hang out on top with a good vantage point.

You can attach steps, jerry can holders, shovel mounts etc to the shell and you know it will be secure.

crupe

Anybody have any insight on what the specific disadvantages of the Bel-Air wood-frame cabovers are (other than rollover accidents, of course)? Why are steel or aluminum framed shells so much better as to justify more than twice the price?

Here is what I noticed after owning a Callen and viewing the Bel Air.

There just did not seem to be any backbone to the frame when I pushed on the siding and interior skin. I wanted to make a few anchor points on the interior and I did not have much faith in the structural members. The folks at Bel Air said they could strengthen a specifc area for a minimal charge.

As mentioned I would not want to walk on the roof with the Bel Air.

The Bel Air only has a single rear door. The whole back end is hinged and can lift up. Bel Air states its best to secure the back where it meets the bed with sheet metal screws to better secure the back. I did not like the idea of putting sheet metal screws in my bed that would have to be removed to lift the back end. The hardware for this whole back end did not seem like it would have much longevity lifting the weight on a regular basis.

The exterior siding and interior skin seem almost identical. Alot less weight to haul around as well. Bel Air said they can add a cross bar type roof rack as well.

Bel Air states they have folks from as far as Texas come out to purchase. Maybe I'm missing something.

It would be nice to get some real feedback from a Bel Air owner.

I wish that Caravan built a cabover. They seem like the real deal.

Dantheman

Good points from both of you. Thanks.

My main concern about the Bel-Air has been that rear cargo door. I agree that the gas shocks that lift the door seem a little wimpy. And I've been wondering what steps they take to stabilize the rear of the camper under driving conditions with a lot of lateral stress. I can see now why they recommend sheet metal screws to anchor the cargo door and firm up the whole back end. I would be using the door often so I would probably come up with something to stabilize it with a quick-release system , rather than sheet metal screws.

Anyway, I'm going to Callen today to check on my existing order. The very fact that they haven't taken steps to provide a phone number (after presumably having their line terminated for non-payment) tells me they don't have a very serious commitment to press on with the business. They've effectively cut off inquiries from prospective customers because I don't even see an e-mail address on their website for communication.

(Today will be interesting to say the least........)

Terrainist

Explorer
Welded steel frame camper (Callen) vs. welded aluminum sides and top screwed together vs. wood framed - staples, nails. The main difference is durability and strength.

I own a Callen cabover, have had it apart, and am familiar with metal fabrication processes. The Callen's roof is welded to the sides. Everything is welded together.

I have yet to see an aluminum camper where the roof and sides aren't screwed together with sheetmetal screws. While the roof and side structures are welded panels, they are still screwed together. And the aluminum is thin walled, not substantial. Most aluminum campers I have seen were essentially light weight shells.

Off road, truck campers get jerked around and shaken violently. Drive over a rock with your right rear tire and the top of the camper wants to go left in a fraction of a second, as in now.

This kind of jerking around can tear apart a wood framed camper. It will turn a camper that isn't strong enough into something that is flimsy.

Consider the used market for a Callen camper too. Can avoid some of the headaches that way.

Dantheman

Can't disagree with Terrainist. Those lateral forces have been my concern.

Met with Scott Callen yesterday. He seems determined to make a go of it but his relationship with his Dad (who owns the business and the land) appears to have deteriorated further.

My project had not been started, nor had any materials been purchased as yet. He offered to 'fast-track' mine because I have several short trips coming up. But, essentially, I told him to put a 'hold' on my shell for now, that I would find an alternative for my trips through June, and I would stay in touch with him and see how things develop.

I asked for a private phone number so I could communicate (which he gave me), advised him to get the business phone reconnected ASAP if he has any hope at all of making this thing fly, and wished him well.

Scott has worked in this business a long time. He knows exactly how these shells are constructed and has hands-on experience in every phase, except probably the welding, which I presume requires a certified tradesman (he said his welder was coming in that night). But, as a lifelong small businessman I can say that Scott is certainly not a seasoned operator yet and doesn't exactly excel in the area of diplomacy. But he seems to be learning (the hard way).

The relationship with Callen Sr. is vital, in my view, and my next mission is to track him down.

Fish

Adventurer
The Senior Callen is Jim. I worked with him on my previous shell around 10 years ago. He's a difficult to get along with person and pretty resistant to change as is evidenced by the same exact receipts they they've used for at last 10 years. I'd swear that some of the stuff in their "showroom" was sitting there 10 years ago.

I believe Jim lives in Idaho or Colorado most of the time now. He's an avid hunter and moved to somewhere in the mountain West, if he hasn't come back to haunt Scott. Scott and I did talk about his relationship with his dad when I was having my shell built. Scott wasn't too happy that his dad was "telling him how to run his business", but OTOH Scott was screwing it up by himself.

Dantheman

Crupe (and anyone else interested),

I have gotten pretty deeply into the Callen situation and there have been some good things happening. Among other things I am lending them some of the expertise (at no charge) I have picked up over the last 35 years. I have considerably more confidence now that you can get a rebuild or a new camper in a reasonable time.

Anyone interested can get details from me at 760-294-3195. I return all messages, so leave one with your name and phone.

theMec

Adventurer
Thanks Dantheman! I got my Callen a few years ago. My family loves it. It fits our life style perfectly. Hopefully with your help, many others can enjoy their Callen. Sorry if I sound like a commercial. Callen's fit & finish isn't perfect. Is that better?

Crupe (and anyone else interested),
I have gotten pretty deeply into the Callen situation and there have been some good things happening. Among other things I am lending them some of the expertise (at no charge) I have picked up over the last 35 years. I have considerably more confidence now that you can get a rebuild or a new camper in a reasonable time.

Anyone interested can get details from me at 760-294-3195. I return all messages, so leave one with your name and phone.

bajajoaquin

Adventurer
Glad the Callen is working for you. .....

And therein lies the problem! The shells do work. They work great, and there's no other real option. Can you imagine how long Callen would have lasted if there was even one real, viable alternative?

I hope they get their acts together, because they have a good market niche to fill.

RB1

Observer
Anybody have a link to or pictures of the frame of these campers? Looked around on the net a bit and didn't find any. These campers sound like exactly what I have been looking for to put on my 2007 2500HD. I would like to see a bit more of how they are built :ylsmoke:

Fish

Adventurer
Anybody have a link to or pictures of the frame of these campers? Looked around on the net a bit and didn't find any. These campers sound like exactly what I have been looking for to put on my 2007 2500HD. I would like to see a bit more of how they are built :ylsmoke:
You rang?

IMG_2367-1.jpg

Fred Puhn

I could not contact Callen by phone so I drove there. He was in and chatted with me about my desire to restore my 30 year old Callen shell. He said Cox cable would not let him reuse his old phone number that had been there forever. Anyway he could not provide me the authentic restoration I want, so I still need a source. Is there anyone in the San Diego area that can restore a shell so it looks nice without modernizing it? I love the sturdy design and the slanted windows of the Callen and want to keep it on my 56 Ford pickup.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Fred - how much of a resto do you want? Reason I ask is that the small things like lights, etc - and even to some extent the panels, are basically unobtainium now. I've been unable to find tail light lenses for my callen, for instance, so I'm going with LED's and fabbing some housings.

Is it structurally still sound? Is it primarily the cosmetics that you're concerned about? If so, your best chance might be to find some more old callens, and cannibalize them.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears