Camper considerations

phsycle

Adventurer
I’ve been driving a new F150 for the past few months. Supercrew, 5.5’ bed. Same as my last one. I really wanted to go 6.5’, but wouldn’t fit easy in the garage and hardly any available on the lot. I’ll make it work, I hope.

But I am looking at campers. I initially wanted a FWC. They’re nice, but severely limits the truck for truck use. So I nixxed that idea.

GFC is light and functional. But I have a family of 5. Not enough space unless we bring an extra tent.

I think I’ve landed at the ATO Habitat. Enough space for all of us (maybe two kids sleep in the bed. I’m doing bedrug so it’ll be nice enough). And easy to use as a truck for projects and errands. Kind of pricey. Maybe I’ll look for used. If they ever pop up.

Any others I should consider? Priorities are, sleeps 4-5, open bed for truck stuff, and relatively light.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I’ve been driving a new F150 for the past few months. Supercrew, 5.5’ bed. Same as my last one. I really wanted to go 6.5’, but wouldn’t fit easy in the garage and hardly any available on the lot. I’ll make it work, I hope.

But I am looking at campers. I initially wanted a FWC. They’re nice, but severely limits the truck for truck use. So I nixxed that idea.

GFC is light and functional. But I have a family of 5. Not enough space unless we bring an extra tent.

I think I’ve landed at the ATO Habitat. Enough space for all of us (maybe two kids sleep in the bed. I’m doing bedrug so it’ll be nice enough). And easy to use as a truck for projects and errands. Kind of pricey. Maybe I’ll look for used. If they ever pop up.

Any others I should consider? Priorities are, sleeps 4-5, open bed for truck stuff, and relatively light.
1st off, congrats on the new truck.

I know you're asking about truck campers but, if you want to leave the bed open for truck stuff, have you considered a trailer?

A bonus is if you want to explore while camping, you don't have to pack up camp to head out then unpack again when you get back.

Sleeping 4-5 might be easier too. Not sure what the age range is but, if they're still growing something else to think about.
We are looking at a different trailer now as ours has single wide bunks and our kids outgrew them. Years ago really, lol
Wish we had skipped this and just went for double bunks off the hop.

Point being, think long term usage too.

Last edited:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
At 4-5 people is where an expanding trailer or big ground tent start to make a lot of sense. Kids don't stay small for very long (as me how I know), so even if you can squeeze a couple in someplace this year, it won't work in a couple year's time - which makes any $$ investment seem harder to justify, unless your plan can sleep those people as they approach adult sizes.

phsycle

Adventurer
Thanks @Herbie and @Todd n Natalie

Yes, I did consider a trailer. But 3 things:
- No good storage option
- Some places here in Utah would be a handful for a full-size truck, much less one with a trailer.
- Oldest is 15. In 2-3 years, we’ll be down to 4, then couple years after, to 3. So it’ll be a little tight for the first couple years but should be doable.

We’re more of minimalist campers anyway. Relatively speaking, as our friends and neighbors all have 5th wheels with all sorts of lux comforts. Not that a trailer would put us in that category but the first two points above are really the biggest issues. So I’ve decided a truck camper would be the best compromise.

Or, to go further down the minimalist road, we’ll just keep using the Springbar tent, and get a high-rise shell. Two kids can sleep in the bed while we have plenty of room in the ground tent.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
@Todd n Natalie Did you lift your truck? I’m thinking cheaping out for now and do a spacer/level lift. And fit some 35’s, which would smooth out the ride quite a bit.
Nope. just a 2" readylift level. (Wanted to maintain a bit of rake for towing) 35x11.5R20's on factory wheels fit fine. Went with Toyo AT3's Load range E. 12.5's would rub. Also with 11.5's there is no poke. Tires are fully inside the wheel wells.

truck 1.jpglevel.jpg
truck and trailer 2.jpg

EDITl: If you're looking for a good source of info for your truck, I recommend F15014thgen.com It's been a wealth of info for me.

phsycle

Adventurer
Looks great. I’ll check into the Readylift. I need some support for the rear for the camper, although it won’t weigh much.

I’m probably going Raptor size of 315/70/17’s. Hope they won’t poke out too much but I don’t mind a little bit.

It also doesn’t have the Fx4 package so I might look into some RCI skids.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Looks great. I’ll check into the Readylift. I need some support for the rear for the camper, although it won’t weigh much.

I’m probably going Raptor size of 315/70/17’s. Hope they won’t poke out too much but I don’t mind a little bit.

It also doesn’t have the Fx4 package so I might look into some RCI skids.
You should be fine. That'll look good and be functional. Win / win.

69724965-80C6-465D-8AE1-4AB3180A0AFD.jpg

ramblinChet

It's important to identify your payload capacity and begin working backwards from there. For an average truck with a payload capacity of ~1,500 pounds, two adults and three children will cut that payload in half. I travel at 50% of my payload capacity and my cooling, braking, and suspension systems operate well.

And no, you can not legally increase your payload capacity by using airbags, aftermarket springs, etc. If you disagree then you can call your State Police Inspection Division, or dealership, or insurance company, etc.

rruff

Explorer
There are some nice tents that pop up and take down quickly. I think that's how I'd go rather than try to cram everyone into a small camper. For instance:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
It's important to identify your payload capacity and begin working backwards from there. For an average truck with a payload capacity of ~1,500 pounds, two adults and three children will cut that payload in half. I travel at 50% of my payload capacity and my cooling, braking, and suspension systems operate well.

And no, you can not legally increase your payload capacity by using airbags, aftermarket springs, etc. If you disagree then you can call your State Police Inspection Division, or dealership, or insurance company, etc.
Good points. Def check the payload sticker on the driver door frame.
Airbags, springs, load range E tires etc does not increase payload as mentioned but, it may help the truck cope with the weight better.

The ATO Habitat the OP mentioned only weighs 340 lbs. So he should have a bit of room there.
I think a FWC or similar with 5 people onboard and a camper loaded for traveling would put the average F150 over weight.

phsycle

Adventurer
One of the reasons I stuck with Ford: Half ton truck still gets great payload. My sticker says I’m a smidge under 2k lbs (1,997).

Which is why the ATO and GFC campers were appealing with the low weight.

I haven’t been inside an ATO Habitat. Would it really be too cramped for 3-4 people? Wife and I on one side. Probably one small kid on the other (maybe 2), then one down on the truck bed.

GeorgeHayduke

We manage a family of 4.5 (2 adults, 2 kids, 70 lb dog) in a GFC. Wife and kids upstairs, me and the dog downstairs. I have a small platform that I put in for camping but it easily slides out in 3 pieces when I need the full bed. A Decked system might also present a good sleeping surface that preserves your truck utility without need to be removed.
PXL_20220711_050212738.MP.jpg

Otherwise, why not a GFC/super pacific/etc + a ground tent? I can imagine having spaces to separate adults from kids might be helpful.

One other idea: if you run an awning some of those come with walls that could give you a ground tent where people could sleep that is also attached to the truck.

jmnielsen

Tinkerer
If you didn't want a full blown camper trailer, maybe go with a GFC and then a small offroad trailer with a RTT on it, similar to this:

Or maybe an offroad teardrop with RTT on top?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior