Camper considerations

highwest

One of the reasons I stuck with Ford: Half ton truck still gets great payload. My sticker says I’m a smidge under 2k lbs (1,997).

Which is why the ATO and GFC campers were appealing with the low weight.

I haven’t been inside an ATO Habitat. Would it really be too cramped for 3-4 people? Wife and I on one side. Probably one small kid on the other (maybe 2), then one down on the truck bed.
I think our 6’ Flippac (similar to Habitat, but a little wider on top) is full with 2 adults and a 3yo, but I wouldn’t say we’re minimalist. We’re in Salt Lake area if you want to have a look sometime.

phsycle

Adventurer
We currently use ground tents (sometimes one, sometimes multiple). And we’ll continue to use ground tents depending on the type of trip. My thought:

Use Ground Tents: Base camp trips. ie venture out to various trails or destinations but return to main camp daily. ie Moab.

Use Camper: “Expedition” travels. Move camp day to day. ie Rimrocker Trail.

It’d be nice to have both of these options. We do love ground tents, as our main one (Springbar) is huge and kids love sleeping in it. But it’s a pain to set up. Just hammering in the stakes, my forearms are throbbing. (I’m in the high desert with hard soil and rocks).
Camper would be nice for quick deployment and for inclement weather camping where I don’t have to mess with digging trenches or deal with muddy gear.

Again, to those that mentioned the trailer: I would definitely consider one. But I just don’t have the space to store it.

rruff

Explorer
We do love ground tents, as our main one (Springbar) is huge and kids love sleeping in it. But it’s a pain to set up. Just hammering in the stakes, my forearms are throbbing. (I’m in the high desert with hard soil and rocks).
Get one that sets up and takes down easy. Way cheaper. And let the kids do the work anyway... ?

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
I haven’t been inside an ATO Habitat. Would it really be too cramped for 3-4 people? Wife and I on one side. Probably one small kid on the other (maybe 2), then one down on the…

⬆️ Think….synchronized swimming! ?

Maybe consider combo of a reinforced hi rise shell, and RTT and one kids sleeping in the rear seat of the truck (they do make support/mattress kits for that)?

phsycle

Adventurer
⬆️ Think….synchronized swimming! ?

Maybe consider combo of a reinforced hi rise shell, and RTT and one kids sleeping in the rear seat of the truck (they do make support/mattress kits for that)?

Ha, that’s more like multi-family housing. Mobile condo! ?

Get one that sets up and takes down easy. Way cheaper. And let the kids do the work anyway... ?
Great thing about the Springbar. Close to 7’ height the entire interior space. It feels so spacious compared to other tents. Great for rainy days.

Also, they do really really well in the wind. No flapping, no leaning due to flexible poles. Great for places like Moab where it feels windy 8/10 times we go.
Really well made. Very good for base camping.

BikePilot

I have the big MSR tent (MSR Habitude 6). It's well made and really light/compact when stowed. My 9yr old and I can set it up in about 5 minutes. It sleeps 4 comfortably and is rated for 6. I would think two of those would work great for ground tents for your crew. It has come through some crazy high altitude storms here in Colorado without any trouble or leaks.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Again, to those that mentioned the trailer: I would definitely consider one. But I just don’t have the space to store it.
We don't store ours at home.

Previous house it was parked on the driveway pad in summer and then stored in winter.

I think most people with trailers store them.
Ours is pretty much packed and ready to go. Just bring it home, fill with water, food and clothes then go.

phsycle

Adventurer
We don't store ours at home.

Previous house it was parked on the driveway pad in summer and then stored in winter.

I think most people with trailers store them.
Ours is pretty much packed and ready to go. Just bring it home, fill with water, food and clothes then go.

Yeah, that would make it feasible… if there were a storage unit close by that didn’t charge $$$$. Last time I looked, it was $200 per month for a 7x14 trailer storage. And that was pre-Covid pricing!

ChasingOurTrunks

We have done 4 adults, 1 dog in a roof tent + awning room combo out of a jeep JK. We were over payload, by a good margin, but in terms of space for sleeping, there was plenty. I'm bringing this up as it can represent another option besides the slide-in camper, and that would be to take a more modular approach to your truck. You can easily get a bed rack or a decent cap and outfit your truck with a tent and awning with room, which would be both lighter and way cheaper than going for a camper. You will get a cream-of-the-crop tent, cap, and awning with a room for well under $10k. A bed rack and more middle-of-the-road products could be done for about $6k, maybe less, and I'd wager that this mode would only weigh about 300 lbs (That's an estimate based on dead reckoning).

In our case, two adults and the dog were up in the roof tent, which was a 3-person model (Tepui Kukenam). 2 adults were down in an ARB 2000 awning and room, with a floor, and they were spoiled for space (could fit at least one more adult in there). We're currently in a king-sized Roof tent, which has room for three humans (granted one is tiny), two dogs, and a cat but with this grouping we actually don't need to use the awning; we would run out of seats in the truck before we run out of places for people to sleep. And, there are even bigger roof tents that offer internal dividers so your roof tent functionally has two "rooms".

Between the tent and the awning, you can then build out the back of your truck however you want. For us to mount the tent and awning takes about 40 minutes - less time than going to a storage unit and back - and it's far easier to store than a full camper. Plus, there's no harm in leaving it mounted the entire time.

phsycle

Adventurer
Did someone say mobile condo?

View attachment 784889

Out of curiosity how long to do typically go camping for?
Wondering in case of foul weather. It's always nice to have in indoor space to escape for a bit.
Maybe sit and pay a game etc...

When I’m daydreaming at work, it’s a 6 week expedition.
Reality: Average of 3 days (2 nights). Couple times a year, it’s 4-5 days.

That’s why we’ve loved the Springbar. Even if we’re trapped inside, it’s so spacious, we’re all good. We can stand up and stretch. You can stand in the ATO Habitat as well. I think they have an annex room, too (?).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior