Camping Gear for the Casual Family Campers

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
I have the cookset that is very similar to that. The cooking stuff is nice, the cups are pretty good too. The plates and bowls aren't great. I think buying a nice set of nesting pots/pans is better, then buy plates/bowls/utensils that fit your needs separately. This one did intrigue me though: http://www.rei.com/product/843003/rei-nesting-tableware-set-service-for-4 But again, after looking at it in real life, I think buying stuff separately is best (unless you are so incredibly tight in space that the nesting kit is more important.)

If we don't match the description of the thread title, then noone does!

Been raiding the kitchen on our first few trips for cooking gear and now looking at getting a specific camping set. Anyone have any thoughts on this one? http://www.rei.com/product/830776/gsi-outdoors-pinnacle-camper-cookset

Are there better options out there at a similar price? My wife and I, our two kids age 10 and 12. We have a dog too, which is worth mentioning as his spectacular plate/pot/skillet licking ability makes dish washing at the end of the evening much easier!

Honu

lost on the mainland
honestly I find I have a lot of closet stuff ? some worked some did not and everyone has such different needs wants
but it from REI dont like it return it ?

we bought that set and tried it did not like it at all
always like these for how compact they are slick design so if space is tight might be a good setup :)
I have the round cups like those did not like that triangle design and my kids did not either ? that is why it went back ! the cups !
might not bug you and your kids :) hahahahah

but we have the square GSI set plates and bowls and its OK I still kinda like the corelle ware but its heavy so next trip we are going to just use the GSI plates and paper
the reason we quit using them is the greasy breakfast plastic stuff seems harder to clean ? and I hate cutting stuff on plastic prefer the more corelle home feel stuff even when camping ? so kinda go back and forth :)

we do have a set of GSI pots pans large pinnacle set but only use it when we need non stick and the way it nests its no biggy to bring it for mac and cheese and boiling pasta
for everything else I am a grill it or griddle it kinda guy so cant say about long term on the non stick or durability cause ours are minimal use really

I hate raiding the kitchen cause you tend to forget stuff :) prefer having my kitchen stuff camp ready for most of it :)
OH my kids are 4 and 9 :) so I hear ya

If we don't match the description of the thread title, then noone does!

Been raiding the kitchen on our first few trips for cooking gear and now looking at getting a specific camping set. Anyone have any thoughts on this one? http://www.rei.com/product/830776/gsi-outdoors-pinnacle-camper-cookset

Are there better options out there at a similar price? My wife and I, our two kids age 10 and 12. We have a dog too, which is worth mentioning as his spectacular plate/pot/skillet licking ability makes dish washing at the end of the evening much easier!

Honu

lost on the mainland
one thing we are happy with is switching to insulated cups hat have lids and straw holes
the kinda cups that we got from target with snap on lids little drink hole you can slide shut or open and or stick a straw in !

no more bugs or tree stuff falling into the drinks and if the kids knock them over we are not all wearing what they were drinking :)

boblynch

Adventurer
The first post was dead on accurate. Rule #1 keep Mom happy. Rule #2 see Rule #1. One thing that goes a long way towards that goal is keep the kids happy. Teach the kids to learn how to pack the basics and be more independent on the trail.
Hydration - water bottles with insulated covers (make sure they stay hydrated early and often)
Footwear - good hiking socks and sturdy footwear (nothing ruins the day faster than a blister or sprained ankle)
Snacks - light weight day packs with healthy snacks
Temperature Control - hats and sunscreen (summer); fleece and hat (winter); proper rain gear (always)

Other things to pack and make sure they are learn to use: first aid kit, maps, compass, camera, etc.

luk4mud

Explorer
After years of solo, group and family camping, many, many wasted dollars and time, I really try to live by a few rules:
1. Simple is better. The less plugs, dials, buttons, etc, the better. Take coolers. My Yeti holds ice for a week or more, and I dont need to fuss with a dual battery, digital gauge, upgraded 12 volt plug etc. 10lb block of ice and I am good to go.
2. Light is better. Whether I have the space or not, hauling stuff costs money.
3. Don't buy cheap junk, but the glamping brands are often not the best value and dont help me build the retirement fund. Coleman and GSI brands usually work fine for me, I love the Snow Peak stuff, but I'd rather work less and enjoy my Coleman gear more than work more to pay for Snow Peak. That being said, I dont skimp on safety or comfort items. I like a comfy camp pad (Nemo), quality bag (Coleman 0) and tent (Marmot).
4. Innovative is more impressive than expensive. I get a kick out of the fella that makes a toilet out of a chemical bucket, double kitchen bag and kitty litter than the guy with the latest $200 device that does the same thing. I wash my hands with a recycled Tide 1 gallon jug, take a shower with a modified bug sprayer and use my wife's last kitchen rug as a tent porch mat.
5. Learn from the scouts. They figured the camping thing out long time ago. Take good care of your gear, learn the proper way to start a fire (means you dont need to bring much), use their timeless techniques and you will have a safer and better trip. The scout handbook is a great investment for any regular camper ... and is more useful for me than the much ballyhoo'd "VDEG".
6. Eat well. We probably eat better camping than at home, by design. Family and friends look forward to camp trips when the food is different and good. To me, camping means home made beef jerky, mahi mahi in shalots and white wine, shrimp stir fry, chicken asada tacos and a great glass of red wine and time with family/ friends.

Honu

lost on the mainland
luk4mud :)
we are on the same page :)
on the Snow Peak stuff I found nothing equals there IGT for us but the stove is a partner steel :) gas grill is a magma and the charcoal is a SP so I think going all in is not needed all the time ;)

on the lighter sense selling the trailer we have been on a quest for lighter I think we are going to get a small trailer this time around no electrical most likely a manley base model with lid and thats it just to have stuff pre packed when we can but the lighter thing ! loading and unloading our setup has gotten easier and easier as we have lightened a lot of our stuff even our camp chairs going from the normal 7-12 lb ones to the 2lb when you are talking 4 of them is a big savings and same thing for pads and bags going nemo and nice down bags etc..

funny about the mahi mahi :) being from Maui I am used to good fish but tonight we had one of my old mahi mahi recipes

butter in fry pan put in fish cook one side flip spoon full of grainy mustard on each piece cook some more then scrape off mustard with back of spoon set fish aside (cooked how you like when its fresh I only cook 2-3 minutes so its raw inside if frozen I pull off when still raw but it will cook up with sitting
then with the mustard fish juice and butter in pan (start with about 2tbs per filet) put in half bottle of white wine and reduce till its a thick sauce then put the fish on rice and spoon sauce on it ;)
its easy one pan for fish one for rice and fancy in a way :) so can be done camping

I still like my fridge though :)

madmax718

Explorer
As far as the toilet goes- don't get the cheap bags, absolutely nothing sharp goes in there. Kitty litter is fine, don't forget to dig out the clumps. Lol. Umm, the luggable loo lid isn't tight, so don't spill it

I've picked up a lb of the diaper crystals- should instantly gel. 1 tablespoon apparently soaks up 16oz of liquid. Lol

M_e_l_v_i_n

someone forgot who posted they use a commercial chaffing dish and can boil water for cleaning in it saw some at the commercial costco that were deep and good enough size to get a plate into :) great idea

This is Brilliant! I'm planning out a kitchen box right now and I think I've come up with a size restraint item.

Also I can't wait to try a wok when camping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears