Camping in Ouray - July '07

Sharkman

Observer
I am looking for a recommendation for camping near Ouray, Co in July.

We will probably spend a night or two camping in the national forest but we will be with the kids so we will need something a bit more civilized for part of the time. Has anyone stayed at Ridgway state park?, Ouray KOA?, any other good choices for tent camping?

We might take the Zodiac if there are lakes near by to explore.

Thanks,

Steve

Closer to Silverton than Ouray, but we camped at Molas Lake several years back.

V. nice place, cool, quiet, some sites with a little bit of a walk from the parking area too.

Supposed to be the "highest commercial campground" ... that and a quarter ... you've got a quarter.

The commercial campground is on the east side of the highway, but there is a small unimproved (if memory serves) State campground slightly south and on the west side of the highway too. V. nice location but had little kids along on that trip and they wanted a real potty.

KAA

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Slightly off toppic, but...

We stayed in Ouray last July. Sorry, we were in a hotel, but...

If you are there over the Fourth, the fireworks are spectacular. Actually, not the fireworks themselves, but the way that the sound rumbles through the canyons. Really neat.

They also had a parade that had some nice 4x4s. Most of them were representing the commercial jeep tours, but there were a couple of nice private ones that went by.

Just in case...

Oh, and I remember that we went by a campground on the west side of town, between the town and the mountain, along the river, I think. Looked like it was mostly RVs, don't know if they had tent spots.

Based on a quick Google, it must have been this one.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

goofiefoot

Adventurer
We camped on the Telluride side of Ophir Pass, just north of the main trail in an aspen grove. One of the most beautiful and tranquil campsites we ever found. Just look for a small trail off the main path. We found a tapped artesian well and camped a few yards from that. We love that area. I'm jealous! :(

hattrik21

Adventurer
I've never camped up there but I've heard the KOA is decent. I'll be camping there in Sept so if you do stay there, I hope I read good things from you on that place.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Ouray has somewhat limited camping due to the limited space inside the valley. Ridgeway does offer a bit more as I recall. If you want a fantastic place to take the family, just north of Silverton by about 5 miles or so there is a turnoff (west) that follows a river and leads to some super nice designated camping areas, some complete with "facilities."

My wife and I will be in the area that weekend as well. We love it up there. If you see a silver Discovery give us a shout.

durangodds

Adventurer
Sharkman said:
I am looking for a recommendation for camping near Ouray, Co in July.

We will probably spend a night or two camping in the national forest but we will be with the kids so we will need something a bit more civilized for part of the time. Has anyone stayed at Ridgway state park?, Ouray KOA?, any other good choices for tent camping?

Thanks,

Steve
Here is the Gunnison NF campgrounds page. http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/gmug/recreation/unc_camping.shtml You should be able to link from here and reserve a campsite. The Amphitheater site is 3 minutes out of Ouray, just above town and is nice.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
We stayed in the Ouray KOA last August, I was pleased with the setup... I would stay there again. I generally choose more primitive camping when available, but it was nice to stay in a location close to town.

Our KOA site:

Ouray%20(69).jpg

Sharkman

Observer
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions! My web searches hadn't turned up much so these leads will help alot....

cruiseroutfit: Thanks for the pic. The sites look less KOAish then I had feared.

Flounder: I'll keep an eye out for you Discovery.

Has anyone done Black Bear pass recently? I can't seem to get a good description of the trail and difficulty level.....Of course I always get the "did you hear about the guy that died last year".....

Steve

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Sharkman said:
...cruiseroutfit: Thanks for the pic. The sites look less KOAish then I had feared....

I felt the same way, I was thinking we would be sandwiched in between a handful of motor homes :D Just make sure you drive around the KOA and choose your site. The ones closer to the office are your typical KOA setups IMHO.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Sharkman said:
Flounder: I'll keep an eye out for you Discovery.

Has anyone done Black Bear pass recently? I can't seem to get a good description of the trail and difficulty level.....Of course I always get the "did you hear about the guy that died last year".....

Steve

I haven't heard anything about Black Bear being open, but then again, I don't really care as I will probably NEVER do that one. One of my amigos who is an absolutely avid Jeeper, did that road and when we found him in Telluride later in the day he was still noticeably shaken and pale. This is also the guy I spent 3 days with climbing big walls in Zion, so he's no stranger to heights or exposure. The photos his wife took were enough to convince me to not want to do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears