Camping in Ouray - July '07

durango_60

Explorer
A lot of trails opened up this past weekend, check http://www.ouraycolorado.com/Jeep+Road+Conditions for the latest info.

Black Bear - open
California - open
Cinnamon Pass - open
Cork Screw Gulch - open
Engineer - open
Imogene - closed
Last Dollar - open
Ophir - open
Owl Creek - open
Picayune Gulch - open
Placer Gulch - open
Yankee Boy Basin - open

I'll be up there at least one day this weekend.:gunt:

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Sharkman said:
I can't seem to get a good description of the trail and difficulty level.....Of course I always get the "did you hear about the guy that died last year".....

The trail itself isn't actually that hard, though I havn't done it yet this year and washouts do happen. There's less than a handful of 20 yard sections that'll keep you puckering. And there are some very tight switchbacks, but other than 3+ pointing your turns, aren't problematic.

There is one section in particular that as you descend leaves your rig at quite the port list. It gets interesting when there's water/rain/snow/ice/wind/dust. Do it early in the morning before the afternoon rains and it is perfectly doable.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

The closest GOV campground to Ouray might be the.......

Amphitheater Campground, CO.........

It clings to the cliff just above Ouray. The views are awesome! Very short drive.

Or you could head south just a few miles and hang a hard left and head up this route to the Alpine Loop Trail area. Do a search for the Alpine Loop and you will see where this meets the 550 Hwy.

Or you could head just out of town toward the Yankee Boy Basin area. Very Beautiful and so worth it!

yankee_boy_basin_map.jpg

Ouray area Fun Facts..........

http://www.narrowgauge.org/ncmap/excursion7_ouray_history.html

Check out the whole narrowgauge website for tons of info on the area and trails!

http://www.narrowgauge.org/4x4/html/4X4.html

Have FUN!

Last edited by a moderator:

Rubi-Khan

Observer
Here are some shots of the tent camping at Ridgeway.

The second shot is the view from my camp site. You can camp out close to the edge of this cliff, but you have to cart your stuff in from the parking area. They provide the carts pictured.

View attachment 8852

View attachment 8853

The Ouray KOA is okay..... I can probably dig up some more pics of it if you like. There were lots of hummingbirds there last July.

Sharkman

Observer
Thanks again for all the suggestions.

We are still finalizing the agenda but I think the plan will be to stay at ridgeway state park for part of the time and the amphitheater part of the time.

Rubi-Khan; I appreciate the pics you sent of your campsite. Originally I was ruling out ridgeway because of the hike to the campsite (lots of stuff in the truck) but the views look pretty awesome.

Has anyone been on the lake? Worth bringing the inflatable boat to do some exploring?

Steve

Rubi-Khan

Observer
Sharkman said:
Rubi-Khan; I appreciate the pics you sent of your campsite. Originally I was ruling out ridgeway because of the hike to the campsite (lots of stuff in the truck) but the views look pretty awesome.

Steve

Glad to be of some help. Are you aware of the free primitive camping down around Silverton?

Whoknows

Observer
Rubi-Khan said:
Glad to be of some help. Are you aware of the free primitive camping down around Silverton?

I'd love to hear about it..........planning a trip for 2 weeks and will be in the area late July. I have a tent trailer (AT). Are the sites the type that one can access with a vehicle or hike in only?

Rubi-Khan

Observer
Whoknows said:
I'd love to hear about it..........planning a trip for 2 weeks and will be in the area late July. I have a tent trailer (AT). Are the sites the type that one can access with a vehicle or hike in only?

The site that I have the most experience with is at Eureka on the road/trail running from Silverton to the Animas Forks ghost town. The river runs right along side too. You would have no problem getting your trailer in there. If you arrive when there aren't many folks be sure to check out the 'spaces' back in the wooded area. There are no signs or instructions marking this area other than an old building along with mining ruins nearby:
View attachment 9043

Look closely and you will see a EUREKA sign on this building.

View attachment 9044

This is also a nice place because you are near the trailheads for Engineer, Cinnamon, and Stony Passes, etc. The only bad thing I've found about this spot is if you are there at a busy time it sees a lot of ATV traffic. I've stayed there 3-4 times and only saw this as a nuisance on July 4th weekend.

There is another area just above Silverton on the highway to Ouray. I have no experience with it, but I think they get more of the RV boondocker crowd. Check with the Silverton visitor's center. They can give you directions for it.

Let me know if I can be of any more help!

Sharkman

Observer
Rubi-Khan said:
The site that I have the most experience with is at Eureka on the road/trail running from Silverton to the Animas Forks ghost town. QUOTE]

That sounds like a great spot. We will check it out if we get a chance.

T-Minus 2 days............time to start packing the truck!

durangodds

Adventurer
There is also a lot of free, dry camping along South Mineral Creek and up towards the end Cunningham Gulch. Both of these places are RV accessible. South Mineral Creek is nice because it isn't the ATV hell that Eureka and Cunningham Gulch can be. It's easy to find too, just off the road from Ouray to Silverton a couple of miles before you get to Silverton.

Rubi-Khan

Observer
durangodds said:
There is also a lot of free, dry camping along South Mineral Creek and up towards the end Cunningham Gulch. Both of these places are RV accessible. South Mineral Creek is nice because it isn't the ATV hell that Eureka and Cunningham Gulch can be. It's easy to find too, just off the road from Ouray to Silverton a couple of miles before you get to Silverton.

Yup, that's the other place I was talking about but couldn't remember the details....

Sharkman

Observer
7-18-07

Thanks for all the information. What a great spot for a family vacation.
We ended up camping at Ridgeway SP every night except Wednesday. This was a ‘with kids’ trip so the facilities where a plus.

Agenda included:
Silverton
Ouray
Telluride (stayed at the Fairmont one night)
Imogene
Ophir
Blackbear (couldn’t do the pass cause it was closed)
Boating on the reservoir
Hiking
Mines
Hot springs
And much more

We also scoped out some great camping sites on the NF for next time.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Ridgway is great. Willman and I camped there last month although we weren't there long enough to enjoy the resevoir.

Great pics. Lemme guess, the field maggots were on Ophir Pass? I don't think I've ever been over Ophir and not seen a flock or two up there.

Wish I was there right now....:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78

Members online