Canon DSLRs: on the edge of reason

articulate

Expedition Leader
Seeking advice. :)

I'm currently using a 35mm Canon exclusively with fine-grained slide film and scanning these with a Canon FS4000 recently purchased from Jeff. This combination works beautifully, and is far superior to my previous set up. I can get great files for magazines now.

However, I'm dabbling with the idea of adding a DSLR to my "fleet" - I can be working with two bodies for redundancy and flexibility. Cool, right?

The need:
A DSLR body capable of 8 mega pixels or more for magazine work. As I understand it, 8 MP is the bare minimum. I don't need a body and lens combo, unless it sweetens the pot significantly by providing a focal length I don't have or macro.

The conflict:
1. I thought a 5D would be primo. 1:1 sensor keeps me happy in the wide angle department. I love shooting at 19mm with the film camera. Camera body is currently out of my budget.

2. 20D. Popular choice, it seems. 8.2 MP. 1.6 "croppage" on the sensor. In the budget.

3. Rebel XTi. This is where things get funny. 10.1 MP capactiy, same sensor as the 20D, and about $50 less (retail).

4. 30D. No idea what sets this apart from the 20D; price point a few hundred more than the 20D.

That 10.1 MP on the Rebel unit gets me the most excited - constantly working at the bare minimum end of file requirements (with an 8.2 MP) makes me concerned. But what makes the Rebel series less money than the 20D and 30D? Construction? Processor? Other? And is it worth worrying about?

For those who do professional level work with digital cameras . . . are the 20D and 30D inferior, adequate, or excellent? Superior to the XTi with 10.1 MP? If so, in what ways and features?

Quality is at hand here. Bang-for-buck value is a close second. I work for a living like most mortals. :cow:

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
I can't comment on specifics cause im not a pro camera user... but.. we were out on a run with a 20D and the Rebel. One of the guys shoots for a magazine with the 20D and another shoots for nobody with his Rebel. They both swapped. and we could not tell a difference side by side taking the exact same pics. The price point of the Rebel is what blew me away. I believe its the consumer version of the "D"

Sorry i can't tell you more.. but maybe Wanderer could. He was there with the rebel. My mag buddy isn't on this board.

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
I've shot magazine covers with a 3.2 mega pixel point and shoot ... be careful of the mega-pixel race.

Anyway, the 20D is far superior to that point and shoot and any of the choices you mentioned have more than enough quality (as do you might I say) to shoot for magazines. The big difference among the cameras you are looking at is body construction and control. The 20D or 30D are going to be better constructed than the Rebel.

BUT, you are buying a computer now, not so much a camera. These things are going to be "outdated" within a couple of years no matter which model you get. The Rebel would be fine. But I think you'd be happier spending a few extra bucks to get the 20 or 30D (too bad I don't have one to sell:shakin: ) as the construction and feature set are probably a little better suited to your use/skills.

Dirty Harry

Adventurer
jeffryscott said:
Anyway, the 20D is far superior to that point and shoot and any of the choices you mentioned have more than enough quality (as do you might I say) to shoot for magazines. The big difference among the cameras you are looking at is body construction and control. The 20D or 30D are going to be better constructed than the Rebel.

Agreed on the construction. I don't know the differences between the 20D and 30D, but I thought that the 30D was supposed to be less expensive than the 20D. I remember hearing that as a selling point previously.

Scott Brady

Founder
main advantage of the 30D is LCD size, which is a big improvement.

Find a new / used 30D and you are set.

Go to Tempe Camera and talk with those guys. They are a local business that I try to support. They are also Overland Journal lovers ;-)

Offroader5

Observer
After just doing all this research myself...I can say that a couple differences are:
-The XTi has a plastic casing, where the 30d has a magnesium casing (as long as you buy the USA version and not the "PC body" version), so you gain a more durable casing IMO.
-The body of the XTi is also smaller than the 30d. The 30d is a bit heavier.
-The 30d has a slightly larger image format at the sensor.
-The XTi uses a pentamirror in the viewfinder where the 30d uses a pentaprism...what this does, I am not real sure...but I believe the prism is going to be more clear.
-The 30d has a wider range of ISO speeds and twice the shutter speed than the XTi.
-The 30d also has a faster continuous shooting rate at 5 fps vs. the 3 fps of the XTi, and also much better burst ratings.

I just today ended up buying the 30d.

Hope that helps :)

sinuhexavier

Explorer
Do the 5D.

I had a 1DS Mark II that died on me the day before a large shoot for Volvo. I couldn't find one to rent, so I went and bought the 5D. It is simply an amazing camera for the money. Yes the 1:1 ratio is nice for wide angle, but you also get the depth of field of a true 35mm focal plane. If you go to my website the picture on the home page is from my first day of shooting. www.sinuhexavier.com

After Canon replaced the 1DS, I sold it bought another lens some parts for the truck, etc. I still love the 5D and have since bought another as a backup. Shooting in .raw a tiff processed at full size ends up being 72 megs and is just simply amazing.

If you plan at all to sell your images to a stock agency hold out for the 5D and keep scanning your chrome. I still shoot Provia 100 for some commercial clients because you simply can't come close with digital. 6 stops for digital as opposed to 9 stops of range with film... But that's not what we are discussing...

Last edited:

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
If you can swing it, get the full frame. The 1.6 crop on my Rebel XT is a bummer. Still though, it's my opinion that most of photography is a combination of glass and photographer skill.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I have heard that the 30D has twice the shutter life of the 20D.

As John mentioned, the DRebel XTi has a small body compared to the others. Personally, I don't like it because I have to hold onto it with my finger tips instead of my hand.

Something to keep in mind with regards to a camera becoming "outdated" :

Technology may advance, but your current gear does not become less advanced.

For example: I bought a DRebel back in 2004. The XTi still did not exist. Since 6.3 megapixels combined with a few select lenses and the camera features I have still meet my needs...there is no reason for me to upgrade the camera body, regardless of how far technology has advanced. Until my needs change, my gear is fine. There is no need to keep upgrading your gear every time some new farkle shows up.

All that said...the 5D is pretty sweet.:)

Robthebrit

Explorer
The 5D is a good camera, I really like mine. That new 1D MKIII is pretty special too but a little more expensive than the 5.

Rob

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Robthebrit said:
The 5D is a good camera, I really like mine. That new 1D MKIII is pretty special too but a little more expensive than the 5.

Rob

It is very sweet, but the Canon rep told me the other day there is an 8 month wait if you aren't already waiting.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior