Casner Mountain Trail: Sycamore and Secret Wilderness Corridor

Scott Brady

Founder
A huge thank you to Mark and Tami for coordinating and leading this trail ride. I had a wonderful time. We have about 500 images to import and sort, but here are a few to get things started.

The view into Sycamore Canyon from the ridge.
474756_10151938153498275_1918616679_o.jpg

Mark, opening the gate (this trail requires a permit)
casner_.jpg

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Thanks to everyone that came along!

Awesome panorama Scott! And trust me, it's truly impressive to see it in person. The trail runs a ridge top that divides the Sycamore Canyon and Secret Mountain Wilderness areas, and both the east and west side are spectacular.

If you are interested in seeing what may be the most scenic trail in Arizona, the permits are available from the Coconino National Forest. One group is permitted to travel the 8 mile long section each week from May to Oct, and it's limited to 10 vehicles and no more than 25 people.

I'm still uploading GoPro video to Youtube, and will post a link to the first one of 5 I split from the raw footage.

The current Casner Mountain Trail #8 closely follows the original stock route that Riley Casner used to move cattle from summer to winter pasture and back. The original route is shown on this topo map from 1932:

1932 map.JPG

This is from the base of Casner Mt - you gain 1600' of elevation in just over a mile.

Casner Mt - 1.jpg

Scott Brady

Founder
There were great people on this run, some that I knew, others I met for the first time. That is what makes trail runs so enjoyable, seeing families and friends have a great time in the outdoors.
casner_13.jpg
casner_5.jpg
casner_6.jpg
casner_7.jpg
casner_8.jpg
casner_9.jpg
casner_10.jpg
casner_11.jpg
casner_12.jpg
casner_4.jpg

Scott Brady

Founder
I took the LR4 along for the ride. Never needed "off-road" mode, but I did air the tires down to 24 psi and selected "Rock" mode and low range. Comfortable and capable, although the featured I appreciated most was the cabin air filter - pretty dusty.
941892_10151936163778275_950743250_n.jpg

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
few more:
Sycamore Canyon
Casner Mt - 2.jpg
Attic House Ruin - from about 6 miles away, Thanks Lee for the photo!
Casner Mt - 3.jpg
From the flank of Casner, looking towards Honanki Ruin
Casner Mt - 5.jpg
Up the trail
Casner Mt - 6.jpg
Into the switchbacks
Casner Mt - 4.jpg

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Video #1 is from the flat area past the gate to the top of the mountain. I'm not posting the others - they are on our channel is you wish to see them.
[video=youtube_share;oLkdgVTTDxQ]http://youtu.be/oLkdgVTTDxQ [/video]

Scott Brady

Founder
Those are cool Mark. This one shows the most difficult section of the trail at 11:55. I got lucky and the LR4 was right in front of you :smiley_drive:

toddz69

Explorer
A few additional photos from the day. Special thanks to Mark and Tami for leading the run. Tami - thanks for the bug spray :). We Arizonians are incredibly blessed to have you as tour guides for so many interesting trips. I had a great time and really enjoy trips with ExPo folks - high caliber in every regard.

Todd Z.

IMG_1426.jpgIMG_1430.jpgIMG_1427.jpgIMG_1428.jpgIMG_1429.jpg

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Just for reference, the Attic House ruin is circled in red in this photo:

Attachments

• Attic House without zoom.jpg
    Attic House without zoom.jpg
    505.4 KB · Views: 31

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
With everyone in the group on 146.46 two meter radios, we had perhaps one of the most interesting days of ******** chat I've experienced. Between Scott, Jay K, Todd Z, Michael T, and Sam, it was a great mixture of tech (when I think of Toyota knowledge, Jay K is at the top of the heap, Todd and Sam are EB experts, and Michael has one of the finest CJ-8's out there, and Scott knows too much about all of them...), great wheelin' stories, and general questions on Scott's recent journeys. It was also great to see the mixture of youth and crabby old ******ts like myself...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior