Casner Mountain Trail: Sycamore and Secret Wilderness Corridor

DJGoo

Too much WoW
That's really cool. How is the route? Do you need good ground clearance? Are there there any bits too steep for something without a transfer case?

toddz69

Explorer
That's really cool. How is the route? Do you need good ground clearance? Are there there any bits too steep for something without a transfer case?

The initial part of the trail is fairly steep for a sustained distance that I wouldn't want to try in something without a transfer case (unless it was a motorcycle, of course). I imagine you could bonzai it in a play buggy but they really have no business on a trail like this anyway. There is also another steep climb or two towards the end of the trail where low range is probably a necessity in a 4WD vehicle.

Todd Z.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
As noted on the Coconino NF web site, this is a 4x4 route. If you choose to go thru the process, a specific date is required, and you must pick a direction of travel - you can come in from the north and exit to the south, or do it the way we did, enter from the south, exit to north. The permit process has been streamlined compared to last year, but still requires some time and forethought.

The permit holder is responsible for: Any damage incurred, improper use, acts of God (including but not limited to flood, fire, earthquakes, tornado's, hurricanes, wars, pestilence, drought, disease), and anything else that may occur during your transit of the route.

Seriously.

Special Program for 4x4s

The forest service is offering a program for full-size four-wheel-drive vehicles (over 50" wide) for use on this trail between May 16th and October 14th. A permit is required. Permits will only be issued for groups with at least three vehicles and not more than ten vehicles. Group size may not exceed 25 persons. Only one permit will be issued per calendar-week. Allow two to six weeks for permit processing. Permits will not be issued for commercial use and not for overnight camping. The gates are closed and locked, but permit-holders will receive the combination.

Last edited:

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Well, it's almost that bad...

But, it's well worth it - I regard this as perhaps one of the most scenic trails in AZ.

teddyearp

Adventurer
Wow, nice. Imust admit all the views I saw were pretty breathtaking. Too bad about no overnight camping, but then again I usually like to camp in the trees anyways.

Thanks!

Scott Brady

Founder
A full trip report from Chris Cordes. Thanks again for the fantastic adventure Mark!
http://www.expeditionportal.com/adv...-mountain-trailan-unconventional-account.html

_38C3306.jpg

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
:Wow1: WOW, that is a lot of vehicles for a trail ride! Sure looks like some beautiful country though.

toddz69

Explorer
:Wow1: WOW, that is a lot of vehicles for a trail ride! Sure looks like some beautiful country though.

I generally don't like more than a few myself, but relatively speaking, this one was a piece of cake. All mature, experienced travelers, fairly new or reliable older rigs, everyone knew the basics like watching the person in front of you and those behind you, and everyone had a 2M radio for contact.

Now contrast that to some of the runs I do with our Bronco club: 17-20 vehicles, many/most with no comms, poorly maintained vehicles, inexperienced drivers.... makes me cranky in a hurry!

Todd Z.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior