CB Mount (Smokers need not apply)

Raszr

I have found that the Uniden 510XL or 520XL is a good fit without much mods for the ashtray. All I needed to do is remove the tray and bracket, trip the side mount and the lip of the top horizontal piece flush. The CB mounts flush with dashboard and looks like a natrual fit. Attached is the photos and one with red arrows showing where I trimed and how much.

Let me know what you guys think!

Raszr:arabia:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
nicely done and that is a great little cb...
the 510 is a perfect starter and for a few bucks more you get the 520 with RF gain & PA (in case you want to yell at folks on the trail from the comfort of your cab)

thanks for the pics

Willman

Nice mod!!!

I too have done the same mod and love it!!!!

You will like that placement of the CB...out of the way and easy to find!

:)

Raszr

pnwadventurer said:
I wish this worked on the older 80-series but it only works easily on the 95-97s.

I have the same CB.

Steve

I did the same mod on my 90 4Runner... What are the fifferences in ashtray size with your model year?:arabia:

Raszr

pnwadventurer

Observer
The ashtray is smaller. When held up to the ashtray, it runs from the right edge of the ashtray to the middle of the 12v outlet.

I guess if you had skills in fabricating a clean matching panel (or didn't care what it looked like), you could make it work.

1058666187_9a51a7a062.jpg

Steve

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
In the older 80 series you need to run a Cobra and remove the stock radio. Fits like a glove and appears cleanly.

Raszr

Is that a LORAN GPS system with depth finder in your 80? You planning on doing some deep water crossing? What nav system do you use on the GPS?

Also how do you guys post pics within your messages on the forum withou using the upload feature that requires you to shrink your photos to less than 16kb

SOCALFJ said:
In the older 80 series you need to run a Cobra and remove the stock radio. Fits like a glove and appears cleanly.

rionorte

Do you have external speakers with the Uniden set up?

If not how does it sound thru the bottom of the dash?

Nice you put pics where you trimmed. Real neat and flush after the fact. :)

esh

Explorer
That's a nice fit.

I have an external speaker on my 520 and even a crappy little external works better than the internal.

Need to rig up an outside speaker, I like the idea of yelling at people on the trail. :D

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Raszr said:
Is that a LORAN GPS system with depth finder in your 80? You planning on doing some deep water crossing? What nav system do you use on the GPS?

Also how do you guys post pics within your messages on the forum withou using the upload feature that requires you to shrink your photos to less than 16kb

Tom, thats a Baja 540C GPS, not a fish finder lol... same basic housing as the fish finder though, yes.

You can post pics using UBB code in either imageshack or like i did, webshots.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
pnwadventurer said:
Is the Cobra a single DIN?

What Cobra model are you running?

Steve

Steve,

yeah it's a single din size CB radio with front fire speaker so it works perfect.

The radio is a Cobra 18WXStII.

alia176

Explorer
I have the same install and unit as SOCALFJ and highly recommend it. Of course, you need a single DIN head unit in order to accomplish this. As with any CB install, your antenna mounting will make or break the whole setup!

Cheers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears