Chalet Arrow into off road Arrow

Runt

Adventurer
Hello every one. This is my first post. So her goes......

After much thought I pulled the trigger on the purchase of a recreational trailer. This time I decided to try a 2006 Chalet Arrow that was lightly used.

FJ_Stock_Chalet.jpg

06_Stock_Chalet_Top_Up.jpg

Stock_Chalet_Drv_Side.jpg

So the “Monster Garage” work will start this week. The goal is a trailer that can handle rough logging roads/deactivated roads and the odd short stint of off road to the sweet camping spots. For starters it will receive a spring over axle lift and some new spring hanger to frame mounts & shackles. A set of 33” tires and OEM 5 spoke alum rims to match the cruiser will go on it for now. Custom alum. nose cone to hold the dual tanks, generator and some extra odds will also be added. In the back it will receive a spare tire/fuel can carrier with a 2” receiver for one of those awesome North Shore bike racks. A 65W solar panel will be mounted above the front window. I'm not sure on adding a new coupler such as a roll & lock or other similar contraptions (MAX Coupler ....I dunno ?) as this will mostly see rough logging roads and cross ditches. Any constructive input would be appreciated.

I started with a simple spring over conversion.....did not cut it. I was still dragin the back end through the logging road cross ditches.

0201.jpg

To be continued.......

Finally got around to posting pix of the almost finished Off Road Arrow. Just need to add the 65 w or 85 W solar panel. Basically this camping trailer has a 2000 lb winch on top with pulley system to pull the boat on top. The box in front holds two propane tanks up top and generator below and has a cradle to hold and lock up the boat motor. The suspension is a 3500 lb axle with 3500 lb spring pack, shocks and matched with 6 bolt Toyota pattern hubs with 33" tires. The front extended tongue allows full opening of the door and has a 2" receiver for a 360 degree rotating coupler once I get around to ordering one. The rear holds a full sized spare, two fuel cans and has a 2" receiver for a North Shore Racks 4 bike rack. The frame was reinforced and added too inorder to increase the strength. So far it performs flawlessly. Here are the results:

Camping_Trailer_Drivers_Side.jpg

Ps_Frnt.jpg

Drv_Sd_Rr.jpg

Best regards

Runt

Last edited:

OVRLND

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0017
I saw one of these in Moab. The couple using it seemed very happy.
Looks like you added a lot of utility to that hard-sided pop-up. Very nice.

Runt

Adventurer
Yes it does have a shower. It is even has hot water on demand. Its out side though. You can see the compartment next to the nose box on the passenger side. Thanks for the kind words.

Runt

Adventurer
Hi Rexsname
The cabinets have been holding up so far,,,,,,we'll see. It rides pretty good with the slightly deflated tires.

Runt

Adventurer
Hi Spressomon
I would guess the weight to be around 1700lbs with out the boat after all the mods. Fully loaded with water, fuel, propane, boat, motor & gear I have calculated the tow weight to be around 3000 lbs. The owners manual claims 1300 lbs in stock configuration....also stamped on the goverment inspection plate. I will take it over the scales soon and find out. I estimate the tongue weight to be about 300 lbs. The FJ Cruiser hardly even notices its there when going down the road.

Last edited:

Runt

Adventurer
OlimpiaFJ60 the frame looks like this...sorry for the crapy pix:

0291.jpg

So I went over the scales today and it turns out the trailer weighs in at 2689 lbs with all my camping gear, boat, motor, fuel, water, food, chain saw etc. The tongue weight calculated out to 220 lbs. The boat & motor weigh in at 582 lbs.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior