Chalet Arrow into off road Arrow

zjrog

Observer
I really like what you have done with that trailer.:drool: I have an old tent trailer that I will be making offroadable as well. Could you show some better photos of the frame work you did? I know I'm going to have to reinforce the current frame, if not completely build a new frame. Nut I also don't have amenities in the trailer. No water tanks, sink, stove or electrical to worry about. And only one set of cabinets that I might remove.

JimQPublic

The shocks & larger tires will take away a lot of the violent shaking your trailer received. Go with a simple spring over lift (if you have not done it already). Very good shocks and low pressure in the largest tire you can go with is my main recommendation. Currently I'm running the exact same tires as my FJ with OEM rims & Wild Country RVT 33X12.5X17's but with 19 lbs pressure and it rides smooooooth over the wash boards. I would suggest the same size tire as your Subaru. ... :)

Thanks for the reply. On further review...

As long as I'm pulling it with the Subaru there isn't much point in a lift or the slightly bigger tires to match the Subaru- I'd have to swap the hubs out for 5x4.00 to match the Subaru wheels. Even then I'd only get about 2" more diameter (from 25 to 27") Instead I'll just take it very easy on any washboard until such time as I need a new car- then probably get something more off-highway worthy such as a 10 year old Montero or Pathfinder. After that it makes more sense to upgrade hubs, wheels & tires to match.

I will say that the Chalet is wonderful for remote camping. Snow slides off the roof and the furnace will keep it warm well below freezing. It's like our little hotel in the wilderness.

trayson

So, this thread is a year old. Any updates???

I have a chalet myself and the previous owner did some cool mods, but I am really jealous of your offroad mods. that's awesome.

Do you just operate without stabilizer jacks? I was thinking about a springover and going with 15's, but only bringing it up a little bit. I figure I could just put blocks under my stabilizer jacks to still use them. But I imagine yours are pretty much worthless?

What about the tongue jack? did you just get one that has a lot more length to it to compensate for the increased height?

I have a 2004 Chalet Alpine and I'm pretty lucky in that I have the front storage box. I also have dual batteries and dual propane tanks. I have a solar panel as well, but the way it's mounted wouldn't be really spectacular for offroad stability...

My unit has hot water as well as a toilet/shower. I think you mentioned you don't have hot water inside? Mine goes to the inside shower, outside shower and the sink. I've also got a window A/C unit that works when I have 110volts... (I have a honda EU2000i, so no problems on running the generator or a microwave). I've replaced all the lights with LED's to save power when dry camping...

Here's a pic of the dual tanks, dual batteries, and the solar panel. the previous owner was obviously a "woodworking" guy, so the solar frame is wood which is starting to show its age.
100_0696.jpg

Here you can see the A/C:
100_0706.jpg

If you look here, you'll see where the wall of the toilet/shower is (right) and you'll also see that the pretty much useless "bench" opposite the toilet was removed and an extended countertop and drawers were added.
100_0702.jpg

Since storage is at a premium in these, the previous owner made some shelves. The one over the window is removeable and just pops on and off.
100_0699.jpg

This one makes use of some otherwise wasted space and the cups stay on their hooks/tracks when folded down:
100_0701.jpg

This is how mine fuctions typically, as a 4x4 basecamp. This picture was taken at the top of the Fordyce Creek Trail in CA. After that we went over and did the Rubicon Trail (obviously I didn't tow the trailer on either! :Wow1:)

I'd love to hear more details about your frame reinforcement specifically. I would LOVE to add a reciever hitch to the rear. that would be awesome, but with the stock Chalet frame, I hear that's really asking for trouble...

Oh, lastly, with your rack for the boat, it looks like quite the ordeal to just "pop the roof up". I guess that's a tradeoff, but kind of a bummer because one of the reasons I adore the Chalet over my old traditional tent trailer is because I can pull over on the side of the road, pop the roof up in 30 seconds and make lunch...

mbuckner

Adventurer
So, this thread is a year old. Any updates???

I have a chalet myself and the previous owner did some cool mods, but I am really jealous of your offroad mods. that's awesome.

Do you just operate without stabilizer jacks? I was thinking about a springover and going with 15's, but only bringing it up a little bit. I figure I could just put blocks under my stabilizer jacks to still use them. But I imagine yours are pretty much worthless?

What about the tongue jack? did you just get one that has a lot more length to it to compensate for the increased height?

I have a 2004 Chalet Alpine and I'm pretty lucky in that I have the front storage box. I also have dual batteries and dual propane tanks. I have a solar panel as well, but the way it's mounted wouldn't be really spectacular for offroad stability...

My unit has hot water as well as a toilet/shower. I think you mentioned you don't have hot water inside? Mine goes to the inside shower, outside shower and the sink. I've also got a window A/C unit that works when I have 110volts... (I have a honda EU2000i, so no problems on running the generator or a microwave). I've replaced all the lights with LED's to save power when dry camping...

Here's a pic of the dual tanks, dual batteries, and the solar panel. the previous owner was obviously a "woodworking" guy, so the solar frame is wood which is starting to show its age.
100_0696.jpg

Here you can see the A/C:
100_0706.jpg

If you look here, you'll see where the wall of the toilet/shower is (right) and you'll also see that the pretty much useless "bench" opposite the toilet was removed and an extended countertop and drawers were added.
100_0702.jpg

Since storage is at a premium in these, the previous owner made some shelves. The one over the window is removeable and just pops on and off.
100_0699.jpg

This one makes use of some otherwise wasted space and the cups stay on their hooks/tracks when folded down:
100_0701.jpg

This is how mine fuctions typically, as a 4x4 basecamp. This picture was taken at the top of the Fordyce Creek Trail in CA. After that we went over and did the Rubicon Trail (obviously I didn't tow the trailer on either! :Wow1:)

I'd love to hear more details about your frame reinforcement specifically. I would LOVE to add a reciever hitch to the rear. that would be awesome, but with the stock Chalet frame, I hear that's really asking for trouble...

Oh, lastly, with your rack for the boat, it looks like quite the ordeal to just "pop the roof up". I guess that's a tradeoff, but kind of a bummer because one of the reasons I adore the Chalet over my old traditional tent trailer is because I can pull over on the side of the road, pop the roof up in 30 seconds and make lunch...

Hello trayson,

Since I have a Jeep Wrangler, I am looking at a Chalet LTW or an A Liner Alite ...

How is the A/C mounted in the window? Stored for travel? and size of A/C?

Best regards,

Mike

Last edited:

Waagman

Great job!

Nice job on the Chalet upgrade. I just bought a used Aliner (same type as the Chalet as they are virtually identical). I am planning to do the same as I have some friends with a similar model that had Deaver Springs in Santa Ana, CA put on the lift. They tow it with their Jeep and love it! I also just bought a Max Coupler hitch from Adventure Trailers to go with it. I debated whether to do so or just stay with the 2" ball but wanted to assure off camber trails wouldn't cause any problems.

Runt

Adventurer
Hello
Not much to up date as I basically just use it. I suppose since OP I added back up lights and a North Shore Rack for carrying the bikes. This trailer has had about 20,000 km on it so far at least of which about a 1/3 are forest service roads and a few trails with the local off road club.

FJ_Loaded_Up.jpg

Couple pictures from some outings.

FJ_Trailer_Mud_Hole_2.jpg

FJ_Trailer_Crossing_River.jpg

It all works great and have no issues. I have punched a small hole in the side from tree top going through it when it slide off of a rock on off camber situations that I have to fix but other than that it's great! I have already had a couple holes repaired. Luckly they are not that expensive to fix. This unit is only for a few years while my girls are small (for sale in three years). Once they get older and can go up and down a ladder I will go to a RTT on our old jeep. Its a great trailer and I must say these A-frame pop ups can take a beating if you set the suspension up right. A few pix of the underside as requested.

Rear_under_side_of_trailer.jpg

Frnt_under_side_of_trailer.jpg

0281.jpg

No the rack does not add much time to set up. The front cross bar has to release clasps that you pop then lift the cross bar and it business as usual. Far as the rear frame goes we reinforced it and replaced the rear cross member. It has hot water but out door shower only, folding couch in the back, sleeps four adults (two per bed). Solar panel set up is non stationary with a 80 foot cord that comes apart in 20 foot sections so I can find rays in the tree's. The jacks are OEM....I just add blocks of dead fall wood chopped to the right length. The tongue jack was replaced with a longer model with a large tire on the end. I believe the lock'n roll or max coupler units would really help a trailer like this out. What I have noticed is the reciver pin on the trailer side took a beating on a a tough trail with the off road club and the ball coupler stretched a bit. We tightened it up and had no failures but I was worried. If I was to modify what has been done the only thing I would change is the rack design to allot for a small hoist to lift a 40 hp jet on to the boat motor craddle. Motor dolly would bolt right to the back rack next to the spare.

Last edited:

cell4soul

Adventurer
Fell in love with these trailers the first time I checked one out.....I just pulled the trigger on this Chalet LTW yesterday. It has a dry weight of 1220 lbs. Loaded with gear, water and propane I should be able to keep the weight around 1500 lbs, which should be OK for my gutless 2dr JK. Tongue weight is minimal. It has A/C, heater, water heater, exterior shower, stereo, double bed and more. It has a small factory lift, but eventually I will add a few more inches to it, go with some 255/85R16's and add a lock-n-roll hitch. I am going to move the spare tire from underneath to the rear bumper. I will also build gas can holders and possilby a generator holder on the rear bumper as well. Eventually a solar charging system would be nice. This definitely will not be a true "off road" trailer, but should be able to get me away from the crowds just fine. Here is some pics:

01[1].jpg03[1].jpg26[1].jpg27[1].jpg37[1].jpg40[1].jpg46[1].jpg

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Very nice! I like the lift frame for the axle instead of tubing the body
What is the loaded weight? How does she pull?

Great thinking outside the box.

Petrolburner

Explorer
This build was a big inspiration in our buying a used Aliner. Looking forward to reinforcing the frame and putting taller tires and suspension under it. Thanks for posting Runt!

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
They have been around a long long time. I think 87 was the first, not sure. Chalet held the patent, then Aliner the brother of the original owner went out on his own as I heard it. They were originally based in San Jacinto, CA. I have owned two. Just love them. In honesty, with a little work they can be seriously off roaded. They are very strong, as the top locks it all together.

Sorry I have to post on all these things. I have had so much fun camping with them over the years. Really nothing comes close, for quick, dry and warm. The only problem I have ever experienced is storage, not much of that unless you pile stuff on the floor.

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
They have been around a long long time. I think 87 was the first, not sure. Chalet held the patent, then Aliner the brother of the original owner went out on his own as I heard it. They were originally based in San Jacinto, CA. I have owned two. Just love them. In honesty, with a little work they can be seriously off roaded. They are very strong, as the top locks it all together.

Sorry I have to post on all these things. I have had so much fun camping with them over the years. Really nothing comes close, for quick, dry and warm. The only problem I have ever experienced is storage, not much of that unless you pile stuff on the floor.

Seriously looking into this model, with my wifes health issues it seems like the more logical decision.

However I would still like to venture offroad and it seems like this might fit the bill!.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior