Cheap Fridge <$400 shipped

ArmyTaco

Observer
So, the fridge got here today. This was quite a surprise because the delivery date was scheduled for Thursday. First test were quite satisfactory. Very quite, good size, digital readout is great, fast cooling. Overall it seems great. Now, we'll see how it performs in the vehicle.

A guy replied to my post on the Blue Room and he is the one that left the comment about this fridge in the FJC. He likes it and has worked well for him. Good Luck with your purchase.

texasnielsen

Outdoorsman
Took delivery of a 63 quart model yesterday. Very happy with size, construction, cooling, etc... Although a compressor-type cooling appliance, (not latest technology), I expect to get many years of use and the price was right.

jcbrandon

Explorer
... Although a compressor-type cooling appliance, (not latest technology)...
Please help me understand what other technologies you are comparing it to. Are you referring to thermoelectric coolers that operate on peltier plates? Is so, these are quite different from a compressor-powered refrigerator. A thermoelectric cooler typically can only cool to about 45-50 degrees below ambient temperature. If it's 95 degrees outside, your food won't stay cold enough to be safe. Thermoelectric coolers are also not very efficient; they use more power than a good fridge.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Please help me understand what other technologies you are comparing it to. Are you referring to thermoelectric coolers that operate on peltier plates? Is so, these are quite different from a compressor-powered refrigerator. A thermoelectric cooler typically can only cool to about 45-50 degrees below ambient temperature. If it's 95 degrees outside, your food won't stay cold enough to be safe. Thermoelectric coolers are also not very efficient; they use more power than a good fridge.

I was guessing a Sawafuji swing-motor compressor....

Seth Kendall

Adventurer
Only complaint so far is that the latch isn't quite tight enough to feel like it is really holding the lid solidly down. This will be a simple fix. I plan on just adding in 2 small pieces of foam rubber to the opposing sides of the clasp to cinch it down a bit. Oh, and my fridge arrived without 1 of the feet. I emailed them, and it is on it's way free of charge.

texasnielsen

Outdoorsman

Yes, based upon my doctorate degree :ylsmoke: issued by Wikipedia, I understand that thermoelectric cooling uses the Peltier effect to create a heat flux between the junction of two different types of materials. My reading said that this effect is commonly used in camping and portable coolers and for cooling electronic components and small instruments. As I believe you point out, this is a cooling and not freezing technology and definitely not as efficient. However . . .

my comments were more in the vein of the technology currently offered (by example) the latest ARB offering (http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23462&highlight=ARB+freezer).

My comments were not to suggest that the Edgestar isn't a terrific product. It's a compressor-style technology that has been around for over 150 years &#8211; a proven technology if there's ever been one.

I have not experienced any issue with the latching of the lid being tight enough on the 63Q model. If I were doing an evaluation of the product so far, I would give it 5 out of 5 stars. The real test will come at Barnwell Mtn. in a couple of weekends.

Seth Kendall

Adventurer
Yeah, the latch thing is so minimal I don't really think it is really a flaw. The lid just wiggles a bit up and down. I want it just a tad tighter. So far, I would rate this fridge at least a 4, edging towards 5.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Yes, based upon my doctorate degree :ylsmoke: issued by Wikipedia, I understand that thermoelectric cooling uses the Peltier effect to create a heat flux between the junction of two different types of materials. My reading said that this effect is commonly used in camping and portable coolers and for cooling electronic components and small instruments. As I believe you point out, this is a cooling and not freezing technology and definitely not as efficient. However . . .

my comments were more in the vein of the technology currently offered (by example) the latest ARB offering (http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23462&highlight=ARB+freezer).

My comments were not to suggest that the Edgestar isn’t a terrific product. It’s a compressor-style technology that has been around for over 150 years – a proven technology if there’s ever been one.

I have not experienced any issue with the latching of the lid being tight enough on the 63Q model. If I were doing an evaluation of the product so far, I would give it 5 out of 5 stars. The real test will come at Barnwell Mtn. in a couple of weekends.

ARB's new offering uses a Danfoss brand of compressor. Danfoss is efficient but hardly the latest technology.

Origins of Danfoss

Danfoss’ founder, Mads Clausen, was experimenting with thermostatic expansion valves on the small island of Als in Denmark in the early 1930s. His findings led to a the creation of a valve which improved utilisation of refrigerant, thereby limiting energy consumption.

Since 1946 the company bears the name Danfoss; it is a compound from the word "Danmark "(Denmark) and the verb "fosse "(flow).

literature on portable freezer compressors here:
http://www.ra.danfoss.com/TechnicalInfo/Literature/Manuals/06/bd_compressors_08-2008_pb100d302.pdf

lookin4yota

I guess I received the last "open box" unit. It arrived on time and well protected. The only flaw I found on it was a tiny scratch in the paint. No big deal at all. However, the reason somebody returned it became obvious when I plugged it in. Just like 1Speed reported, the temp display came on and let me set the thermostat, but there was no sound from the compressor and even after 20 minutes no reduction in temperature.

So I unscrewed the side panel (the one with the power receptacles and temperature display) and found these two wires unplugged:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3333/3293161895_1c1f814f7e.jpg

They appeared to be in position to be plugged into the top two "empty" spade connections.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3434/3293985920_bb889e865a.jpg

So, I plugged them in, crossed my fingers, and powered up. The compressor immediately kicked on (about as loud as a relatively quiet computer here in my office) and the temp was dropping within a couple of minutes.

I don't know if these wires were not installed correctly in the first place or if they came loose on their own from vibration during transportation. If that's the case, it could happen again over time or it might even happen to those of you whose unit arrived working perfectly.

I thought I would post this in case it does. A more permanent solution, if needed, would involve a soldering iron.

John

1speed

Explorer
Glad you got it working. Mine was the double yellow wire which was not plugged into the back of the temp readout panel.

texasnielsen

Outdoorsman
Yeah, the latch thing is so minimal I don't really think it is really a flaw. The lid just wiggles a bit up and down. I want it just a tad tighter. So far, I would rate this fridge at least a 4, edging towards 5.

Seth,

I just noticed on the first page of this thread that the unit depicted has but 1 latch on the lid. The unit I have has 2. Don't know if this is anything significant / the reason behind ... regarding the wiggling you're discussing but I suspect that may be the different perspectives we have of the tightness-factor. . .

Gary

Last edited:

yubert

Explorer
Seth,

I just noticed on the first page of this thread that the unit depicted has but 1latch on the lid. The unit I have has 2. Don't know if this is anything significant / the reason behind ... regarding the wiggling you're discussing but I suspect that may be the different perspectives we have of the tightness-factor. . .

Gary

P.S. - Thanks Jim :)

Mine arrived today in perfect condition and working order. However it also only has 1 latch on the lid and 2 hinges. I was wondering if you could post a picture of your unit? I wonder if they're the same models.

Last edited:

Seth Kendall

Adventurer
Mine arrived today in perfect condition and working order. However it also only has 1 latch on the lid and 2 hinges. I was wondering if you could post a picture of your unit? I wonder if their the same models.

Yep, mine only has the single latch too.

texasnielsen

Outdoorsman
They are not the same.

The photo on pg 1 depicts the FP430 - EdgeStar Portable Fridge / Freezer - 43 Qt.

I have the FP630 - EdgeStar Portable Fridge / Freezer - 63 Qt.

Didn't realize the clasp distinction until this evening. (same type, just one more)

IMG_0176.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan