Cheap Fridge <$400 shipped

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Ordered mine today using the Live Cashback search, which I had never ever heard of before, and got about $23 back. Thanks a million to the forum for that tip!

Rev

Adventurer
I'm glad I found this thread. I've been looking at a lot of fridges and this is half price.

Just for clarification, does this thing draw more than the Engel or Arb counterparts? If so, significantly more?

Also, does anyone have the 63 qt version and how do you like it? Would you expect for it to last a couple days on a single battery?

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I'm going to plug it into the trailer this morning and see how long it goes.
Killed the Conqueror's battery in a little less than 13 hours set at 41 degrees F.
There had been speculation that the Conqueror batteries were, well, less than "fresh" --- hitherto I had just used the battery to power a pair of compact fluorescent lights. Oh bother.

I'd really like the fridge to be able to run (in summer) for 3 days or so without charging the battery(batteries).
Let's hear some suggestions on brand and amp rating please.

I'm going to start another thread too.

1speed

Explorer
Killed the Conqueror's battery in a little less than 13 hours set at 41 degrees F.
There had been speculation that the Conqueror batteries were, well, less than "fresh" --- hitherto I had just used the battery to power a pair of compact fluorescent lights. Oh bother.

I'd really like the fridge to be able to run (in summer) for 3 days or so without charging the battery(batteries).
Let's hear some suggestions on brand and amp rating please.

I'm going to start another thread too.

My wife let hers run over 36 hours at 36 degrees on a relatively new Optima Red Top with no problem.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
I did a test on my engel the other week, I got 4 days with two 10 minute charges every day on the way to work and back- fridge was on max-empty
and temps are around 70-90 every day fridge was on 24hrs a day

To get accurate duration figures though is quite dificult as it depends on many variables

battery size
condition
set temperature
contents
ambient temperature
times being opened.

Usually I run my fridge as a freezer loaded full and turn off at night- even with warm night temps the food is still frozen come morning.

this extends battery life by 12 hours every 24- in comparison to constant on.

I do use the bag too which helps with insulation.

Think of the contents as well

a full frozen fridge full at the start of the batteries life will make a huge diference, than starting with warm food and going from there.

I always stock my fridge the night before and freeze whilst on mains charge, then in the truck on the way, it hardley ever cycles as the thermal mass is large inside a well insulated container.

testing therefore is rather dificult unless side by side with the same conditions

Batteries I always buy the biggest deep cycle that will fit- not the one specified for the vehicle

ExpoMike

I just took ours out for a day trip yesterday. Just some soda, water and sandwich stuff, maybe 20% full. I set it for 38* and put the items in it the night before on 120 volt AC. I put it in the Jeep before leaving, noting that being unplugged from 120 AC and pulled into 12 volts DC, it keeps the temp setting in memory. Nice.

I strapped it in and headed out. Yesterdays trip was more extreme offroading out at Truckhaven for the TDS offroad event. It got some fairly rough and extreme angles thrown at it and it never complained once. I could even hear the water and sodas bouncing around inside.

After a very long day and about 50 miles worth of offroading I got home and checked the temp read out. Showing 38*. I decided to leave it in the Jeep overnight to see if there was any issues with starting the next morning. Keep in mind I have a new Sears Platnium battery bought back mid Dec. 08. I went to start the Jeep about 14 hours after parking it and the Jeep started up as normal, no slow cranking or longer then normal cranking.

Since our normal use will be driving during the day and camping overnight, moving the next day, it was comforting to know it doesn't seem to cause any issues running overnight. I am very happy with this unit and as long as it continues to be problem free, it is a great value compared to the other options.

The only "negative" I found is, being a 43 qt. unit (similar to the Engel 45, instead of the 35), it is a little taller then when I was originally looking at the Engel 35. Because of this, I cannot open the lid all the way (only about 45-50*) because it hits the roof. Cherokees are a little shorter floor to roof then a lot of other vehicles, so this may not be a big deal but it is something to consider. Once I build my slide out for the fridge, it won't be a problem.

So far, one very happy customer and would recommend to others. YMMV

hovenator

Explorer
I've never had a portable fridge/freezer and it sounds like it would suit my needs perfectly. Is this a good size for weekend trips for 2 people? Or, are there other sizes to consider (bigger or smaller)? I want to buy one before the end of the month as we are exploring the Everglades the first weekend in April.

Last edited:

08whitex

Adventurer
I have had this fridge for about a week now and I have no complaints about it at all. It cools really fast and I let it sit overnight on a factory Nissan battery with no problems. I would have to say for somone who does not want to spend alot of money on a fridge this one is perfect.

It is a little taller than the engel. In the back of my xterra it I can only open the lid to about 80*

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I've never had a portable fridge/freezer and it sounds like it would suit my needs perfectly. Is this a good size for weekend trips for 2 people? Or, are there other sizes to consider (bigger or smaller)? I want to buy one before the end of the month as we are exploring the Everglades the first weekend in April.
It's on the big side for 2 for a weekend.
But that's good in Florida. You can fill it with lots of water, food, beer, etc.
My wife and I were doing pretty well with a 36 qt cooler; this thing is so much easier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears