Cheap Fridge <$400 shipped

bdosborn

Anyone who wants to leave a competing model fridge in my care so that I can run the same test is welcome to! :) I imagine that the competing fridges are probably a bit more efficient, overall - once you get the box down to temperature the first time, the steady-state duty cycle is more a factor of thermal mass and insulation.

I found this a little late but here's the energy usage of a Waeco 40:

WaecoCF-40_No%20Case.jpg

I ran the test without the transit case. It was full of beer and I didn't open it. Ambient temperature was 80F/27C. I logged ambient temperature as well. Amp-hr usage after 8 hours was 5.6 and the total usage for 24 hours was 11.1 amp-hrs.

More info here:
My Waeco Review

Bruce

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
I just got to spend another 3-day expedition weekend with my Edgestar 43 and it performed flawlessly. I'm so glad I bought mine.

I have found that if I load it full with warm sodas and beers, and then leave it running overnight off the car battery, it will use enough battery capacity to drop the voltage down to the low-voltage cutoff point. But once the cooler's contents are chilled, I can leave it running for 2-3 days without the low-voltage cutoff kicks in.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I found this a little late but here's the energy usage of a Waeco 40:

WaecoCF-40_No%20Case.jpg

I ran the test without the transit case. It was full of beer and I didn't open it. Ambient temperature was 80F/27C. I logged ambient temperature as well. Amp-hr usage after 8 hours was 5.6 and the total usage for 24 hours was 11.1 amp-hrs.

More info here:
My Waeco Review

Bruce

Great Data Bruce!! I feel pretty good about those results.

CRJeepin

Observer
Are these EdgeStars going out of production? Compact Appliance and other sites have gone out of inventory of the 50q and 63q models, and the 43q is on sale for $500 with free shipping on Compact Appliance. Even EdgeStar's own website only shows the 43q right now.

Just curious what others think, been saving pennies to pull the trigger on one and looks like I might have to wait a little longer for an ARB or Engel if I don't jump on an EdgeStar soon.

CaliMobber

Adventurer
Huh.. interesting. yea its funny how they say $500 on sale, when I paid $380 shipped on mine. At $500 Id be very tempted to go with an arb or other. But keep your hopes up, They have ran out of edgestar fridges before and sold simular alternatives for times up to 4 months. Im sure its just a back order issue and will be resolved eventually but IDK....

XJBANKER

Explorer
I agree with Calimobbers theory. I paid $280 shipped for mine scratch and dent and it had a tiny dent in it that was hardly noticeable.

CRJeepin

Observer
Agreed, at $500 it's only $200 short of the ARB fridge. Will keep an eye on it and snag a cheap one if I can!

Thanks,
Chris

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Huh.. interesting. yea its funny how they say $500 on sale, when I paid $380 shipped on mine. At $500 Id be very tempted to go with an arb or other. But keep your hopes up, They have ran out of edgestar fridges before and sold simular alternatives for times up to 4 months. Im sure its just a back order issue and will be resolved eventually but IDK....

At the $500 mark it would be better to wait for a good used ARB to show up

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Don't buy one of these! I am on my third one, now my warranty is past 90 days, so my one year parts only is in effect and the extended warranty covers shipping and labor, but after I pay the fee to get a Return Number and ship it back. I regret not waiting and saving for a Engel or ARB, what I have is a very expensive dorm fridge.

ab1985

Explorer
Yeah, I would take comments like "don't buy one of these" with a grain of salt. Many of us, myself included, are using these fridge/freezers with zero problems.

That said, at $500 I don't know the value proposition still holds.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I agree but....

I just wanted to throw out my frustration....
One year ago, before a two week trip I bought a Scratch and Dent. It arrived and the 12v didn't work. I sent it back and they sent me a brand new one. Neither power supply worked on this one. I returned it and went with ice for the trip....

One year later, I buy another one (again, all the reviews on here have me believing I was super unlucky) I get a great deal on a brand new one (sale holiday weekend) it arrives and all works. I use it for 2 months on 110 and finally get to go on a trip and the 12v doesn't work.

Back to the beginning, now I am getting the go around on warranty, how to return it, etc.

Three bad units in a year. I just wanted to throw out another opinion... I know several folks on here who have had nothing but great luck with theirs, I have not!

YMMV

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger