Check your sportsmobile wiring!

Caoboy

Adventurer
I know pirate 4x4 is a bit extreme, but there is something to be said for a little freedom of speech.

I know this is a family type atmosphere here on expo, but I have seen things deleted or modified because it might hurt somebodys feelings rather than just being non-family.

personally I think a little drama like this thread is fun to read about and comment on. Even though its a sad rude awakening about SMB means and methods.

I am sick of all these over-sensitive PC attitudes these days.

Problem with FoS is that it is their forum, their rules. Same way you have rules in your house, and people just don't come in and start dropping F bombs. (Unless that is allowed in your house :) )
No matter how 'public' a forum is, the owners still pay for it, and have ToS that you must follow as you have permission to partake in conversation. Since they pay for it, it becomes a 'private establishment.' They could rule that saying flippity flapjacks is vulgar and you aren't allowed to use it, and you have to abide by that rule.

Not saying that a chingadera is a vulgar word, as I had always known it as 'that thingy' (in translation)

billwilson

Adventurer
Sportsmobile may as well remove themselves as a sponsor here and let u-joint go back to ruling this thread the way is was, and should have stayed.

I am surprised SMB has not heard about this thread and not commented on it to redeem themselves.

I feel EXACTLY like the guy above when he said he used to be stocked when he saw a SMB, now he feels sorry for whoever paid that kind of dough for such LOW standard, sub-par work.

Much too busy touring the factory with starry eyed marks with checkbooks

Anyone ever sat in the lobby during a delivery or when a client comes back with thier new 100k rig? downright uncomfortable IMHO

billwilson

Adventurer
Where is the sponsor ??? Has anyone noticed that this is the most activity the SMB thread has received since SMB West became the sponsors of it. Not much going on over here lately.

Ignorance is bliss.

LOL, see my other post, Hey, no one wants to get cut off from the Mother Ship :wings:

billwilson

Adventurer
fix

wow
think how much good pr they could get with a simple

"we dont know how it happened,
bring back and we will make it right with you"

but then again, your check most likely has cleared......

just waiting to get banned :ylsmoke:

jage

Observer
just waiting to get banned :ylsmoke:

Since SMB took sponsorship of this section, I always wondered if you were allowed to complain about them here.

I guess another theory is that we're not seeing all the people who have come before and been banned!

BanHammer-220x300.jpg

Patman

Explorer
waiting..........

I think it is unrealistic to expect a vendor (sponsor or not) to address the intial contact in a public forum. However I would expect them to contact the o.p. with a solution privately, and then they (the parties involved) can address it publically.

It sounds bad, but this should be a simple workmanship warranty issue. Might involve a roof panel replacement and p.h. reinstall.

Might be hard to let them touch it again, but if they're not given the chance to make it right they naturally can't.

4X4TOUR

As I stated in my prior post, I will not be having that shop do any further "work" to my van. I'll fix everything, so I can assured it's done correctly...

That wire discovery was the main eye-opener for me. What you also didnt see, was that I had to tighten 2 of those 3 bolts (2 werent even started, stopped at the plastic part of nuts).

On the drive home, I had a rattle like no other. It was the front light on the penthouse rattling. I was able to move it in all directions, meaning it was never tightened down. Had to repair it on the side of the highway.

OH, you'll like this one:

On my drive down there, I placed my BRAND NEW / unused Thetford electric porta-potti next to the 4wd shifter. When I went to leave SMB West, They had the awning laying on top of new porta-potti, damaging it in the process (scrapes from the awning on the top lid). I didnt notice it until I had to repair that light. Common sense says that if you put something metal, on top of someything plastic, bad things happen. Not even a piece of cardboard was used. Bottom line, they didnt care...

The whole experience is something I wouldnt do again...

Last edited:

Saline

Adventurer
I still don't understand why you haven't addressed the problems directly with SMB. I'm not defending them here, it just seems that it would be the natural progression in a situation like this.

Patman

Explorer
As I stated in my prior post, I will not be having that shop do any further "work" to my van. I'll fix everything, so I can assured it's done correctly...

Believe me, I feel you on this.

Hopefully if/when they do contact you, you can keep us updated on their offer to fix/help/discount/refund, etc.

Would be good to know, although it seems most already do.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
I would recommend that if you have an issue with a product that you contact the manufacturer directly. It is not reasonable to expect your posting on the Internet to be found by the manufacturer nor is it a proper place to address an issue if you are genuinely concerned about it. At this point you are merely creating drama.

Also, to clarify on sponsorships.
Companies such as SMB West help to support Expedition Portal and make it possible for our members to enjoy the online community we have all created. We, Expedition Portal management, separated Sportsmobile into its own forum category and titled it with ": Sponsored by SMB West" wholly on our own accord. SMB West did not require or even request that we do this as part of their support. We created the stand-alone SMB section because we think that Sportsmobiles are unique enough and have a large enough following and owners group around the world that Sportsmobile enthusiasts would enjoy a section of the forum dedicated for them.

Regards,
Brian

Last edited:

lowenbrau

Explorer
It is good drama, though. I enjoy these threads more than watching Paul Jr and Paul Sr. bash each other on TV.

It is good value for consumers to have places like this to air their concerns and have enthusiasts (who often know more about products than the manufacturers) give their opinion.

My opinion is that it really doesn't matter how you cut out a roof if you are going to reinforce it and cover it up. It really has no effect on the form or the function of the vehicle but you shouldn't be surprised if eventually someone uncovers it and calls your craftsmanship into question. I expect that SMB has seen this thread and is wisely ignoring it.

I'm shocked that this is the work of the location that is considered to be the best producer of SMB modifications.

Jonny

Observer
4x4 tour

Happy Monday overlanders!

This thread was brought to our attention by a customer. Unortunately Sportsmobile does not have representatives on the site monitoring it everyday.

Please contact Sportsmobile directly if you ever have any issues. We can only take action if we know of the problem and know who you are.

-Jonny

Jonathan Feld
j.feld@sportsmobile.com

Sportsmobile West (800) 827-3071
general e-mail - info@sportsmobile.com
service (Peter) - p.deltoro@sportsmobile.com

Kowboy

Adventurer
This here threads better than watchin' Oprah. :lurk:

Don't leave us hangin' ... whatever happened?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78