Chile

mesha

Observer
You are lucky to live where you do.

My wife and I have been dreaming of chili for a long time. Some day we will get there. I especially want to visit the Atacama desert. Some parts go hundreds of years without rain, wow. I teach a unit in my science class about xerophiles, an extremophile that lives in low water conditions, and would love to look for some. I would also love to check out Ojos del Salado the tallest volcano in the world.

Navman

Adventurer
Awesome photos. I've been telling my wife for years that I'm moving to Chile one day. We haven't been there yet but planning for next year.

jpvm

Explorer
You are lucky to live where you do.

My wife and I have been dreaming of chili for a long time. Some day we will get there. I especially want to visit the Atacama desert. Some parts go hundreds of years without rain, wow. I teach a unit in my science class about xerophiles, an extremophile that lives in low water conditions, and would love to look for some. I would also love to check out Ojos del Salado the tallest volcano in the world.

Hi , well all pics you see here, from the "north" of Chile , are only of the southern part of the Atacama Desert, but in the northern part of this desert , some 600 more miles (still in Chile) into the nrth, you may find these spots where statistically there hasn't rained for hundred of years (this is why its called , and it is in the Guinness Records, as the driest desert of the world). And turning into Conaf (which is our park service and conservation agency) they can guide you to see flora and animals that actually survive these conditions. Its incredible when once a year, the southern part of the desert, receives some drops of rain, it turns into a gigantic garden that dies in a week, it's called the bloomed desert, and thousand of photographers and visitors travel north.
Those pictures where there is a full moon at night, are very close to the are of the Ojos del Salado Volcano (6890 masl = 15.200 ftasl) area.

jpvm

Explorer
Awesome photos. I've been telling my wife for years that I'm moving to Chile one day. We haven't been there yet but planning for next year.

Cool, we won't move , we'll wait for ya :bike_rider:

img8187o.jpg

img8200c.jpg

img8194y.jpg

jpvm

Explorer
Good morning , thanks the Creator today's Friday (finally!)

More northern Chile !!! we ROCK :):coffeedrink::coffeedrink:

img7558j.jpg

img7562v.jpg

img7625i.jpg

img7709v.jpg

img7749bl.jpg

img7785zz.jpg

img7982t.jpg

img8152i.jpg

jmccandless

More great pictures!

A quick update to my trip, I'm still going but only for one month. :coffeedrink:

The whole car issue worked out easier in Argentina. So, I'm flying into Bariloche to pick up a rental and will then tour/fly fish my way around Patagonia throughout Arg. and Chile. Possibly down to Rio Gallegos...

Thanks again for pics and inspiration!

Best,
Jason

Last edited:

jpvm

Explorer
Good luck man , next time , try MORE Chile ok ?
These pics are excactly of the opposite side of Patagonia (which I love) and what you'll see down there , this is what I've got this time ... :smiley_drive:

img8062wo.jpg

img8055n.jpg

img8095j.jpg

img8104r.jpg

img8112q.jpg

img8116e.jpg

img8178q.jpg

img7691w.jpg

coax

Adventurer
Here's a few more pics of Chile from my trip. Really wish I would have had the cruiser to go exploring more, but my transportation consisted of a bus :smiley_drive:

DSCF0101%20Near%20Valle%20de%20la%20Luna%2C%20Atacama%20Desert%2C%20Chile.JPG

DSCF0007%20More%20Dunes%2C%20Atacama%20Desert%2C%20Chile.JPG

DSCF0040%20No%20bus%20yet%2C%20%20Chiloe%2C%20Chile.JPG

DSCF0009%20Rio%20Ascensio%2CTorres%20del%20Paine%20NP%2C%20Chile.JPG

DSCF0060.JPG

DSCF0084.JPG

Chile

coax

Adventurer
Nice pics man !! Very nice places , you covered North to South Patagonia I see.

Thanks! Yep went from the north down and crossed into Argentina near Puerto Montt. If//when I can make it back I'd love to take Highway 7 is it?? all the way down south. In some respects Chile reminds me of colorado. Mix of desert and mountains, lots to do and see!

jpvm

Explorer
Thanks! Yep went from the north down and crossed into Argentina near Puerto Montt. If//when I can make it back I'd love to take Highway 7 is it?? all the way down south. In some respects Chile reminds me of colorado. Mix of desert and mountains, lots to do and see!

Yes , its called "Carretera Austral", it starts in Puerto Montt southbounds, but then have to take a 4 hour ferry and the continue driving south , its a great place to visit for nature lovers and crowds haters :elkgrin:

some pics of this road....

carraustral0302xm.jpg

carraustral0319zr.jpg

carraustral0320ku.jpg

carraustral0344sv.jpg

carraustral0444hc.jpg

carraustral0459ho.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger