CJ5 Resto-Mod Project

At this point in the game I got so busy that I had my dad come up to my place for a few days to help me keep this Jeep ball rolling. We installed the motor in the chassis and decided it was time to do a complete mock up of everything else. The goal was to make the pile of parts disappear. We know we'll have to remove the body for paint, but we wanted to get everything installed, fit, adjusted and working properly before the body came back off then while the body was at the paint shop, we could finalize all the chassis related mechanicals. I want to drive it before we send the body to paint.

I had the original body, which was rotted to hell and then I had this tub that I bought, thinking it would work...

...but ultimately, I was able to find a complete body assembly in good shape for $800 and it was the same year so the choice was obvious. Mounting the tub proved to be a pain in the butt though. A body mounting kit was purchased from OMIX-ADA thinking it would be a slam dunk. Let me just say that I did such a poor product review on their body mounting kit that Summit refused to print it.

Anyway, here's the new tub sitting on the chassis.

At this point in the build, we've pretty much decided that it has to be awesome. All of the mechanicals are already or will be 100% restored. The clutch rod asseembly, the pedal assembly, the parking brake pedal mechanism, steering column and shaft...all rebuilt/rebushed/generally made awesome.

We also bought a new wiring harness from American Autowire. It will be nice to have a completely new harness. Carbon build up over the years and flimsy grounding takes a toll on electrical.

As mentioned earlier, the body mounting parts were garbage, so we're still working on making sure the body sits square and flat and secure. I can't find any OEM bushings so I plan on making sleeves to re-create the OEM style of three part bushing. This is pretty much where we are right now.

ober27

Adventurer
I'm enjoying this. I've owned three jeeps, one being a 1975 CJ-5. At some point i would enjoy having another one from that era. Have you dealt with www.kaiserwillys.com ? I wonder if they may have some of the parts you're looking for.

I'm enjoying this. I've owned three jeeps, one being a 1975 CJ-5. At some point i would enjoy having another one from that era. Have you dealt with www.kaiserwillys.com ? I wonder if they may have some of the parts you're looking for.

I have not. I'm checking out their website right now. Thanks for the lead.

Northern MN, huh? I was born in Duluth. I really miss the north country.

ober27

Adventurer
Northern MN, huh? I was born in Duluth. I really miss the north country.[/QUOTE

Duluth is one of my favorite cities, I live in Bemidji. I'm sure you don't miss the rust caused by our salt covered roads. Nice old Jeeps are rare in this area.
I look forward to seeing how yours turns out.

Yeah, don't miss the rust. A few years back, we brought my grandfather a 1980 Ford F150 4x4 shortbed to drive in the winter (at his place in northern Wisconsin). It was perfect, not a ding in the body, one owner CA truck. It rusted completely in about 4 years.

Rust was a particularly bad problem with these changeover era Jeeps, or so I'm told. Not many of these era Jeeps have survived as a result.

CRolandLJ

Adventurer
Looking great so far. The stance looks perfect IMO. Too much tire on the shorter CJ5's makes it look funny real quick. Wish I had the time and space to tackle something like this. I'd likely pick a CJ to do it with as well.

I would never build a CJ5 as a crawler, I've made that mistake already. But as a small grocery getter or toy to play with at the cabin, I think they're perfect. Part of the intrigue is the look (obviously) and any roll cage ruins that look, (IMO) so this one won't be getting a cage or a roll bar.

BTW - did I mention that I have a spare CJ5 body tub for sale?

Xtreme XJ

Adventurer
Nice project... my 74 is.... in not such good shape...
So the new body is a 74 as well ? I thought they all had tail gates...

I'll be following & tearing up as this comes together....

Well done so far...

I am kinda of really digging the "primer" look.....:)
The thought did cross my mind to complete the build with the body more or less "as-is" but I think I'd have better luck selling it with a fresh coat of clean on it.

Nice project... my 74 is.... in not such good shape...
So the new body is a 74 as well ? I thought they all had tail gates...
I thought so too. Yes, the new body is also a 1974, or at least that's what the VIN says. VIN tags are easily removable though. Most things look right like the body mounting, the fuel filler hole, etc. I can't find any definitive information on the tailgate issue. But I googled "1974 CJ5 tailgate" and I found lots of pics of CJ5's without tailgates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan