CJ5 Resto-Mod Project

Mounting the body proved to be a real PITA as no new body mounts are available in the original style, so I made them using a kit from a company I wish to remain nameless. Why give them any credit for work that I had to do to make their parts work? Here's what the parts description on their website says, "Direct OE replacement Jeep parts and accessories built to the original specifications by XXXX-XXX."

I soon realized that all of their parts descriptions on their website are the same. Who runs this company? They clearly don't give a crap about offering good parts.

Rant over, next was the steering column. The '74 CJ was a strange year. Apparently you could get them with or without turn signals...? I don't know, but different sources offer a wide array of info. I had a column I bought from my buddy Trevor of WFO fame, and it had the turn signal switch, but the mounting was different, so in true Stoffregen style...I made my own.

The plate that covers the dash is welded to the column, as is the plate that covers the (massive) holes in the floor. This allowed me to do away with the clunky bracket on the outside of the firewall and make it so the column mounted in the same place, every time.

More work today. Hopefully the cooling system will be finished and then it's off to the muffler shop to get a compete exhaust system. We're going one size large than stock and using a medium size turbo muffler. Hopefully this will give it a small boost in power, but keep it quite enough. I do want to hear the 6 cylinders firing though.

More pics soon.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I have noticed a trend forming, people want to drive a cool old stock Jeep.

I just started looking at the Jeep section again (traded our '11 Rubi on the '14 3500) and found this thread. I'm happy seeing your post that I quoted having just bought this:

image.jpg2_zpsfcfybd9t.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsuzy5wg9k.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsrm3wy3pp.jpg

I will follow the rest of your thread since I expect to see a pretty cool 5 at the end! (I'd have preferred a 304 CJ-5, but this 7 just kind of showed up!).

I just started looking at the Jeep section again (traded our '11 Rubi on the '14 3500) and found this thread. I'm happy seeing your post that I quoted having just bought this:

I will follow the rest of your thread since I expect to see a pretty cool 5 at the end! (I'd have preferred a 304 CJ-5, but this 7 just kind of showed up!).

Nice. I knew there was something going on with old, stock CJ's. What year is that?

My goal is to have the CJ ready for sale by Jeep Jamboree this year. I'll park it on the slabs, right outside the spillway.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Mine is a 1984. 2.5, T5, Dana 300 with 4.10s. I'd love a V8, but honestly, for what I'm going to use it for, the 4 banger will be perfect. It will be a lot of low range rough roads to fishing spots etc. I was shopping for a soa Samurai, but this came along and I couldn't say no. I plan on a 2.5" lift and 31s. After spending all of last summer using a bone stock TJ (non Rubi) with an auto to access my job site up six miles of ATV trail, I was amazed at what a bone stock rig can do with reasonable tires.

Last edited:
Mine is a 1984. 2.5, T5, Dana 300 with 4.10s. I'd love a V8, but honestly, for what I'm going to use it for, the 4 banger will be perfect. It will be a lot of low range rough roads to fishing spots etc. I was shopping for a soa Samurai, but this came along and I couldn't say no. I plan on a 2.5" lift and 31s. After spending all of last summer using a bone stock TJ (non Rubi) with an auto to access my job site up six miles of ATV trail, I was amazed at what a bone stock rig can do with reasonable tires.

A long time ago I had a 1980 CJ5 with a Iron Duke 4 cylinder and it wasn't horrible. It had a 5 spd and D300 t-case which made it ok on the trail. But yes, they are surprisingly capable on simple dirt two-track roads.

It's very cool that you can use this CJ7 for daily driving.

Your signature says "poor man's FJ40". That is a very insightful statement. Side by side, they are similar in appearance but underneath, I think the Toyota is a vastly superior vehicle. But in ways that you hope you never have to realize...

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Your signature says "poor man's FJ40". That is a very insightful statement. Side by side, they are similar in appearance but underneath, I think the Toyota is a vastly superior vehicle. But in ways that you hope you never have to realize...

If I had the extra cash I would have gone for a BJ40 or maybe a nice 302 early Bronco. But reality is that they are too much money to buy and fix up. The Jeep is so much more affordable, and pretty damn cool for its own reasons. In a perfect world I'd have one of each!

I didn't mean to sound like I was downgrading the Jeep. They are a whole different thing. I think the term is Jeep thing.

My first 4x4 love was Jeeps. There's so much heritage there.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Oh I totally get it. When I was 15 I used to alternate my doodling in shop class. One week it was all FJ40s, then a week or so later it would be all CJs. I built a wooden '82 Hilux in wood shop too. I think I still have the Hilux somewhere. There are so many cool old school rigs on my "must own" list. I just have to do it one or two at a time...

Still working on getting it on the road. I'm about two weeks over budget.

In searching for the "correct" fan, I found out that there was a 4 blade and a 7 blade fan, neither of them are clutch fans. Both are hard to find, especially the shroud. So instead of beating my head against the wall, a Derale 2100 CFM pusher fan was purchased and I'm in the process of mounting it in front of the radiator. I am worried that it will be visible from the front of the truck, so I plan on making a wire mesh screen that goes behind the grill, but in front of the fan, to hide it. Also had to modify the radiator mounting to make room for the fan. For the temp probe, I brought the radiator back to the shop that re-cored it and had them install a bung in the top tank, so there won't be any weird probe sticking through the core.

Pics later.

The small stuff takes most of the time to finish...

We've gotten a ton of work done on this project, even with my customer work load. And there's still a monumental list of to-do's.

The cooling fan options for the mid year CJ5's are not as abundant as for other years, and I really wanted the 7 blade HD fan and shroud, but they are really hard to find, and they don't have a clutch. Driving with the fan on all the time is not something I like, so I looked into fan clutches. None would fit in between the HD radiator and the water pump. So...electric fan. I went with a pusher fan, and chose the one with the highest CFM ratings, but getting it to fit was challenging.

The radiator needed to be pushed back to fit the fan behind the grill, so I modified the radiator support. It's a minor mod that added tons of strength to the weak stock support.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears