Classic SUVs?

farm

I have a 96 f350 4x4 crew cab. I sold my Ranger in favor of this more family friendly vehicle. It's rust free, but far from a show vehicle. I picked it up for 2 Grand and have never looked back. I think anything in the mid 90s is going to be your best bet. They're old enough that they're inexpensive, but new enough that parts are everywhere and it shouldn't take much to keep it reliable. Personally, I seem to have an electrical curse, so I bought this truck with crank windows, manual locks and as little electronics as possible so I won't have to worry about anything like that quitting on me. Just get in and drive it.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

OmegaMan73

Observer
It's hard to beat owning a classic 4x4. Take care of them and they'll take care of you. Up until a couple of years ago I refused to own a new vehicle. My daily drivers were Nova's and my Oldsmobile Omega. That's where the screen name comes from. Wrenching on them late at night to make it to work is a drag but you can only replace those parts when they break so after a while you've got a solid vehicle. It's people who don't take care of them that remember how bad they were. New cars don't smell as good. They have no soul. I've got an 89 K5 Blazer and admittedly I've had to replace and fix a lot of stuff. But I'd have no hesitation about driving that thing to Vegas right now. And yeah it gets used off road far more than street driven.
But alas I've strayed to the dark side and bought a 2017 Tacoma. Rides like a Cadillac compared to the blazer :)

pPspRVj.jpg

PU33e7v.jpg

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
Lot of that makes sense. I love the idea of working on my vehicles more than the actual work haha I used to work on my mustang and so much prefer throwing my money at someone else.

If this is the case, you'll like the idea of owning a classic SUV more than the reality of actually owning one.

Even when new, the older cars require more frequent maintenance and upkeep than any modern vehicle. Don't forget most classic cars probably had an expected lifespan of <100K miles, on many of them the odometers only went up to 100K, so that gives you a rough idea of how long they were expected to last. Maintenance intervals were probably every 5000 to 10000 miles vs the 30k and 60k of today's vehicles.

Driving a 30-40 year old vehicle isn't for everyone, you have to have a fairly high tolerance for stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan