Classic SUVs?

p nut

butter
THAT is true. My wife is wanting to lean towards newer as well. May end up with a mid 2000s 4x4 of some kind. Maybe an Expedition like you said. I personally want something I can beat the hell out of and it'll run like a tank.

I like the Expeditions, but personally, I would go with GMC.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
What's there to say about the Travelall? I don't see many on Craigslist
Well, the Travelall has been out of production since 1974 and International went out of business entirely in 1981 so you're talking about a minimum of a 43 year old vehicle (and a vehicle that was not produced in extremely large numbers anyway.
My first two vehicles were Travealls, a 1957 (VERY rare! If only I'd kept it) and a 1967 (much more common) so I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for them.
Travelalls were ahead of their time. They were in the configuration of the modern Suburban a full decade ahead of the Suburban (that is, the Travelall was a 3 door configuration in 1957-59 and a 4 door configuration in 1960, while Chevy didn't go to 3 doors until 1967 and 4 until 1973.)

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
This is for a daily driver to schlep kids around? Just get a Tahoe/Burb/Expedition from a more modern era. Unless you like tinkering with cars on your days off, plus any other spare time you've got. And being stranded on your way to drop kids off at school or on a road trip.
-
I'd LOVE an old truck. '77 Scout would be my pick, with the removable top. Those things were beasts and my friends and I had a lot of fun. But to pick one up now? No thanks. I value my time with my kids and having a dependable vehicle to do other things.
-
I think any auto enthusiast has romantic thoughts of driving around in a classic/vintage rig. Reality is, they go back up for sale after the owner realizes maintenance isn't as simple as they remember it and time and money needed to keep the thing running is more than a new car payment.
^^^this^^^
Every time I get the itch for old iron, I remember they were POS when they were new. As I age time is my most valuable commodity...
You can pay cash for a new vehicle, doncha know. ;) Fullsize extra cab V6 pickup can be had in the low 20's. (dead horse)
Yep, I have to echo these guys.
I've owned a few old vehicles in my day. Usually it was because I couldn't afford anything better. Let me tell you, they nickel-and-dimed me to death.
Some things are best admired from a distance. I have nothing but admiration, respect, and a touch of envy for those who have the knowledge and the skills to keep an old beast like that running. In the past I thought maybe I'd become one of those guys, but now I realize that's just not going to happen. Too many other things have first priority on my time.
My last old rig I bought in 1993. I had romantic visions of restoring it to its original trim. It would have been a monster:
M-43.JPG
It only took 2 years and several thousand dollars to realize that I just didn't have the skills, the patience, or the equipment neccessary to take on a job like this, and I damn sure didn't have the $$.

Clutch

<---Pass
Hahaha I have a habit of picking up strays. I need to replace the space in my garage vacated by my 94 KLR650 hahaha

:D

I foresee that glossy paint is hiding a lot of pain and misery.

That V-Dub Definitely would be cool, but mang I have enough things keeping me busy...last thing I need is another thing to throw time and money at. ;) Especially my time....starting to process the veggies out of our garden and I am already b!tching. had to process a bunch of peppers this morning before I came to work. Have bunch more waiting for me when I get home...(craaaap... her hobby is leaching into mine...ha ha!)

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass

Yep, I have to echo these guys.
I've owned a few old vehicles in my day. Usually it was because I couldn't afford anything better. Let me tell you, they nickel-and-dimed me to death.
Some things are best admired from a distance. I have nothing but admiration, respect, and a touch of envy for those who have the knowledge and the skills to keep an old beast like that running. In the past I thought maybe I'd become one of those guys, but now I realize that's just not going to happen. Too many other things have first priority on my time.
My last old rig I bought in 1993. I had romantic visions of restoring it to its original trim. It would have been a monster:
View attachment 412959
It only took 2 years and several thousand dollars to realize that I just didn't have the skills, the patience, or the equipment neccessary to take on a job like this, and I damn sure didn't have the $$.

What is that saying? Sometimes reminiscing is best left in the past. ;)

Old 60-70's Fords get my neither regions all tingly....have to remind myself, I would be better off just smashing both of my thumbs with a 4 pound sledge right off the get go, than dragging one home, be a hell of a lot less painful. :D

Do like to look though!

Stumbled on this yesterday. https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/?0=0&dealer_id=751&sort=sort_time_desc&page_size=15&start=0

Yeah maybe I'll find a 1999-2003 F250 gasser. People are out of their minds for what they want for diesels. I'm partial to Ford cause I know the motors a bit better. Never owned anything from GM yet. Though I do love Tahoes and Burbans

AlexCold

Observer
I have to agree with everyone else, and that's coming from someone who has four 30 year old vehicles and has a 3 year old. If you need something to move kids around, do some camping, and off-road occasionally a more modern SUV is hard to beat. Older vehicles are great as 3rd or 4th vehicles rather than daily drivers.

I would vote for a Tahoe/Suburban over an Expedition as well.

I have to agree with everyone else, and that's coming from someone who has four 30 year old vehicles and has a 3 year old. If you need something to move kids around, do some camping, and off-road occasionally a more modern SUV is hard to beat. Older vehicles are great as 3rd or 4th vehicles rather than daily drivers.

I would vote for a Tahoe/Suburban over an Expedition as well.

Yeah that's true. I hate the generations between TBI and the second to newest one haha the looks just don't do anything for me. Too bad there aren't a ton of options for reasonably priced off road family camp-mobile

My favorite is "Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." :sombrero:

Yepppp truer words never spoken

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Old 60-70's Fords get my neither regions all tingly....have to remind myself, I would be better off just smashing both of my thumbs with a 4 pound sledge right off the get go, than dragging one home, be a hell of a lot less painful.
It's 3-door Suburbans (1967-72) that get me all atwitter. Especially if they're 4wd with a manual transmission. :drool:

Paddler Ed

Adventurer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998