Classic SUVs?

boss324

Observer
I'd vote for a more modern GMT400 or GMT800 Tahoe or Suburban really coming down in price and decent aftermarket. Get all the modern amenities and have cash left over to build to your needs. Transmission and rear end are the weak link if half ton. For longevity go for a 2500 Suburban.

51dc13c0ce80a122ac49c9455734880e.jpg

f7fb0931faa88ef92083528e2615b0cc.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
At 1999+ the GMT trucks are now nearly 20 years old so they are definitely near future classics. The big question there is do you want IFS or solid axle.

In my opinion it's really a toss up. Where my solid axle truck may be 'tougher' (arguable) it rides lie crap, especially on washboard. On the other hand that can be mitigated with the correct springs.

As far as amenities I think you really have to jump to the last 5 years to get any real advantage. Short of collision detection, fuel economy via direct injection, automatic dampers etc my '73 has it all. Power seats, tilt column, BT, carplay, wifi, backup camera and so on. A properly tuned carb with electric choke will fire first crank every time.

Regardless I do agree the GMT trucks are underappreciated overland rigs, especially in 3/4 ton trim.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Burbs are pretty cool I guess.

Find a sweet Travelall. I grew up with a dad who was obsessed with IH and we've owned just about every form of IH vehicle in production, except for this big rigs. I currently have two scouts but there was a time we had a massive white travelall 5 spd diesel. Man I wish we kept that thing. So ************. Not the easiest to work on but they sure are unique and awesome.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Man I want a 67-72 so bad, I can't ever decide between k20, jimmy/blazer, or suburban.

Burb all the way :)
Blazer wheelbase is just short enough to not handle off road whoops and stuff to my liking.
The truck cabs feel small when it comes to off road travel and I should know as I have my granddads 72 long bed truck as my lowered hot rod.

For camping you can't beat the sleep inside setup with seating for 4 and a fridge between the back bucket seats

Clutch

<---Pass
I would in a heartbeat if I could swing owning something like that... but then again I may have a screw crossed with a loose wire.

Ha ha!

Too nice, too rare for me. Used to have a '73 Westy, it was cherry, loved that thing, but waaaay to nice to "really" use it, wouldn't even take it on gravel.

Think it is a good thing modern vehicles have no soul, then you don't feel too bad if you put it on its' roof.

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
Ha ha!

Too nice, too rare for me. Used to have a '73 Westy, it was cherry, loved that thing, but waaaay to nice to "really" use it, wouldn't even take it on gravel.

Think it is a good thing modern vehicles have no soul, then you don't feel too bad if you put it on its' roof.

I would give up a lot for a solid Westy Synchro :drool:

Burb all the way
Blazer wheelbase is just short enough to not handle off road whoops and stuff to my liking.
The truck cabs feel small when it comes to off road travel and I should know as I have my granddads 72 long bed truck as my lowered hot rod.

For camping you can't beat the sleep inside setup with seating for 4 and a fridge between the back bucket seats

I have to say, I was so drawn to the K5 being roofless that for the 10 years of researching and planning I neglected the practicality of larger vehicles. Now that I have three kiddos if I had it to do over again I would build a Burb, Sublazer or something based on a 3/4 ton TBI 4x4 suburban from the 90's. Basically I want Larry's suburban... with the top sawn off lol

Clutch

<---Pass
I would give up a lot for a solid Westy Synchro :drool:

Me too...but the tech hipsters more or less ruined that market, [and well, most of the VW van market] insane what a clean Syncro goes for these days or even a roached out one for that matter. Remember when you could grab a Bus for $500...those days are long gone.

Thought of doing a 60's Ford Econoline, since those are still pretty cheap (I know of a few clean ones here)...and again, always end up at the same conclusion...would fix it up then be too afraid to use it.

383a2a32880f4aa871e69482fb930f5a.jpg

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Me too...but the tech hipsters more or less ruined that market, [and well, most of the VW van market] insane what a clean Syncro goes for these days or even a roached out one for that matter. Remember when you could grab a Bus for $500...those days are long gone.

Thought of doing a 60's Ford Econoline, since those are still pretty cheap (I know of a few clean ones here)...and again, always end up at the same conclusion...would fix it up then be too afraid to use it.

View attachment 413231

They're pretty neat but even those vans are creeping up in price. All it takes is for one of those car shows on TV to do a build and whatever vehicle they just built suddenly sky rockets in price. For example, gas monkey did the ford Econoline truck thing for hotwheels and now any econoline van is suddenly 5k over what it should be. I saw one for sale for like 12k and it was in barely decent shape. And then there's this new diesel fad. Diesel brothers comes on and builds sick diesels and suddenly a non bulletproofed 6.0 is going for wayyyyy more than it should. And the 7.3?? Don't even get me started. One with over 300k on the odo is like 15k!! Come one people.

Rant done. Sorry about that.

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
They're pretty neat but even those vans are creeping up in price. All it takes is for one of those car shows on TV to do a build and whatever vehicle they just built suddenly sky rockets in price.

Tell me about it. Barrett Jackson sells a K5 for $220,000 and now parts are 10x what they should be.

Sorry to the OP, hijack over.

Clutch

<---Pass
They're pretty neat but even those vans are creeping up in price. All it takes is for one of those car shows on TV to do a build and whatever vehicle they just built suddenly sky rockets in price. For example, gas monkey did the ford Econoline truck thing for hotwheels and now any econoline van is suddenly 5k over what it should be. I saw one for sale for like 12k and it was in barely decent shape. And then there's this new diesel fad. Diesel brothers comes on and builds sick diesels and suddenly a non bulletproofed 6.0 is going for wayyyyy more than it should. And the 7.3?? Don't even get me started. One with over 300k on the odo is like 15k!! Come one people.

Rant done. Sorry about that.

Tell me about it. Barrett Jackson sells a K5 for $220,000 and now parts are 10x what they should be.

Sorry to the OP, hijack over.

yeah, prices are just silly anymores on just about everything...just don't want to work that hard for "stuff" yan know what I mean? It is cool and all, but at the end of the day it just a thing. Over all the drama with owning an old vehicle. Just want to get in and go.

Rant/hijack over!? Quitters! :p

Ultralite

Adventurer
Sorry I missed this thread while it was hot, don't know how I missed it. FWIW, in case someone is searching this thread later trying to make a decision:

1. I echo all the suggestions for the Suburban. Traded my high mileage one last year for an Express 2500 and miss it like crazy. It was a wonderful highway cruiser (2001 model 1500). My son an I camped in it easy. Just the best all arounder I ever had.

2. I get to itching for the classic 4x4s too. But then I remember how miserable it is sitting in traffic in my '69 Westy. Now, I keep my Westy in fine running order but I use it regularly. I think where folks get into issues with old vehicles (or most vehicles for that matter) is not using them enough and maintaining them regularly.

3. As far as the time commitment, I hear you. Between the couple of old vehicles I have there's plenty to do. When it comes to adventure I'm now at the stage in life where I want to turn the key and go more and more. I'm a little more leisurely in my turning of wrenches these days.

4. My son and I just welded up our own go kart from scratch. It was a blast but a real time commitment. We love doing things like that together and will keep doing so. But that time will have to come out of car projects to some degree.

5. My next adventure rig (the Express 2500 is about to go) will be a more modern vehicle where if I really get to itching for a project I'll order something to bolt on and be done.

I understand the allure of a classic. I think a person has to balance all that comes with it against all the other things they have going on. And, I'm hoping the more modern Suburban/Yukons will soon start to be considered classics in their own right.

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
Definitely gotta drive them weekly if not daily to keep them from leaking and breaking down. The flip side to that (no pun intended) is wrecking one stinks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior