CO2 vs Portable Air Compressor

Golf286

Adventurer
I would like to know people's opinions about CO2 vs Portable Air Compressor's. I'm trying to determine the pro's and con's of each and unfortunately I don't have the room for an on-board..
Thanks

You've got room for an on board compressor if your driving an extera. I prefer the on board air because it doesn't run out, and have to be refilled. I use the medium ARB and I've liked having it available for everything not just tired but beach toys for the kids too. That's not something you'd want to do with the CO2 because it'd be more trouble than its worth. Now if your needing to run air tools you'll need a large compressor or large CO2 tank and those tanks aren't small. Just know alot of on board air options can be mounted anywhere, then run lines to make them more useful.

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
After years of using Viair, it decided to piddle-out on me probably because I ran it too long and it overheated. It decided to not reset, and due to the age, was not under warranty. Probably my third time using it. I purchased the heavier duty model so as to fill/adjust my RV tires as well as my Jeep and Polaris.

I ended up buying the PowerTank as my newest choice. HillBilly makes very good points, but for me, I already have a home air tank in my garage. So far, for my uses off-highway or RV, the PowerTank has not disappointed. Its fast, so fast, it will re-seat a tire if needed. The other I like most is, it cannot overheat and quit on you when you most need it coming off of a trail ride.

My only complaint if it has not already been addressed, in the event I turn my air pressure up to high, the air release lever becomes very hard to push, I mean its tough! But then again, I have not called the folks at PowerTank to discuss this issue.

Something to think about for sure.

<<<

RonapRhys

Adventurer
CO[SUB]2[/SUB] - fast fill ups, removable, can run air tools for a short period of time (at the expense of the fast fill up), but I believe these aren't cheap

OBA - basically infinitely usable, slower fill ups (but this can be solved with the addition of a tank). Also not cheap, needs to be hardwired in.

Portable compressors - least expensive of the group, infinitely usable, can get hot which makes storage a bit more difficult, difficult to run air tools

Gooseberry

Explorer
I have a 15lb power tank in the van and it does 4 sets of 285/75/r16 tires from 30 to 70 and could do a couple more but not a set. I did that as 30 is the lowest I run and really only go down to 45 on washboard stuff. I like it and it is clean quick and easy. I do have a small 12v compressor as a back up but it would take days to fill the tires with the duty cycle.

This is just a observation that has happened to me and it seems more times then not I'm using my CO2 to fill another rig after the compressor or lines fail while they air up.

On the hard lever on the power tank air chuck just put a little grease on the button under the lever works great

RonapRhys

Adventurer
I just picked up with the Superflow MV80. I've used those on more than one occasion and they seem to do a set with no real problems. Even two sets prior to heat being an issue. I'll be using mine next week out in Moab, so I'll have a better update then, but I don't expect any issues.

Golf286

Adventurer
Thanks for the great feedback guys.. Does anyone have any experience with the Smittybilt CO2 system vs the Powertank system? I'm wondering if there's a big difference between the two aside from the price..
Bill

radio_jumper

Adventurer
I have a power tank. Only problem is the cost of refills and finding somewhere to fill it at a reasonable price.

I may get another tank that I can just swap out at airgas or somewhere. Also may add oba and use that for the smaller jobs

Golf286

Adventurer
I have a power tank. Only problem is the cost of refills and finding somewhere to fill it at a reasonable price.

I may get another tank that I can just swap out at airgas or somewhere. Also may add oba and use that for the smaller jobs

What's the cost of refills in your area? Seems like the average around here is about $15 to $20 from what I've found so far..
Thanks Bill

Gooseberry

Explorer
I have paid $10 bucks up in the valley to $20 at air gas but its $15 for the fill at a place the handle fire equipment and they hydro tested it for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gator

Adventurer
I run both systems. I use my OBA for my ARB's, lower volume fill ups and quick shots to clear debris from stuff I may be working on. I have 5 gallons of storage for it so if need be, I can fill tires up in a reasonable time. I use the co2 for running air tools that use a lot of volume in order to work properly and at long spurts.
Lator.....

4x4x4doors

Explorer
Note on air tools with a CO2 tank: Wear gloves. That impact wrench gets cold!

I run a 20 lb CO2 tank with a locally sourced regulator. I swap out the tank when it gets empty. It moves from vehicle to vehicle with no problem. I also carry a 12 vdc plug-in compressor as an alternate.

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
I have a 15lb power tank in the van and it does 4 sets of 285/75/r16 tires from 30 to 70 and could do a couple more but not a set. I did that as 30 is the lowest I run and really only go down to 45 on washboard stuff. I like it and it is clean quick and easy. I do have a small 12v compressor as a back up but it would take days to fill the tires with the duty cycle.

This is just a observation that has happened to me and it seems more times then not I'm using my CO2 to fill another rig after the compressor or lines fail while they air up.

On the hard lever on the power tank air chuck just put a little grease on the button under the lever works great

Thank You Gooseberry, I will do this right now-GREASE my Nozzel thang!

<<<

summerprophet

Adventurer
Golf,
It really depends on your intended usage. I went through the same itteration a few months ago. (primarilly as I am running temporarily without a spare, while I make some revisions to the bumper and spare mount).

Options:
Portable compressor - cheapest, can transfer from vehicle to vehicle, no air tools, slowest, infrequent use OR short, lifespan takes up cargo space
CO2 tank - depending on brand and size, your next cheapest option, or equal to OBA. Can power air tools, refilling costs, can transfer from vehicle to vehicle, high use and long (near infinite) lifespan, takes up cargo space
On Board Air - depending on brand and size the most expensive option, With additional tanks, can power air tools, stuck in vehicle, variable lifespan depending on brand and usage, does not take up cargo space.

Portable Compressors are a cheap option, and seeing as that is the benefit, I wouldn't drop big cash on top end models
I purchased a Superflow, and it works, run under $70 and deos what I need it too.

CO2 tanks have a few options
Powertank has the best reputation, and runs pretty expensive. The tanks need to be refilled, rather than swapped out, so plan additional time when filling.
Smittybilt has a questionable repution on a number of their other products, but I am really not certain about air tanks. Compressed gasses is fairly well regulated in this country, so I would think that the Smitty tank must meet some minimum standards as far as regulator sealing and tank safety. Smitty only has the one size, so make sure that works for you.
ALSO, there is a guy on ebay selling home made units similar to powertank with standard airtanks. The benefit is being able to just swap out tanks rather than refilling, which may be a benefit depending on your filling facilities. His prices were similar to a smitty system. I didn't like the fact that he didn't have great protection around the regulator.

On Board Air.
This is going to be far to expensive unless you are able to plumb the system yourself. It is not rocket science, but time consuming and some head scratching. Compressor, lines, additional circuit, and storage tank. To many variables to consider here as you are building it to suit your needs. Viair and ARB offer products. Soem people swap out AC compressor for an On Board Air system, but I personally like AC.

LR Max

Local Oaf
C02 all day. Seems like on the trail, those with an air compressor need to use my tank to make things faster.

They are big, I guess that is a downside.

If I was to do it again, I'd get a locally sourced tank and a nice regulator with gauges on it. When the tank pressure gets to 500 psi, that means you are getting near the end. Take it and swap it out. I've had trouble finding places that'll do just a straight fill up on my nice and pretty tank. Also with the locally sourced tank, when you jack@$$ friend drags it around the parking you, you don't get unbelievably upset.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears