CO2 vs Portable Air Compressor

Golf286

Adventurer
C02 all day. Seems like on the trail, those with an air compressor need to use my tank to make things faster.

They are big, I guess that is a downside.

If I was to do it again, I'd get a locally sourced tank and a nice regulator with gauges on it. When the tank pressure gets to 500 psi, that means you are getting near the end. Take it and swap it out. I've had trouble finding places that'll do just a straight fill up on my nice and pretty tank. Also with the locally sourced tank, when you jack@$$ friend drags it around the parking you, you don't get unbelievably upset.

Thanks for the advice.. It sounds like you have a few friends like mine.. LOL!!

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I have paid $10 bucks up in the valley to $20 at air gas but its $15 for the fill at a place the handle fire equipment and they hydro tested it for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've found that fire extinguisher service/refill places are the way to go if you want your tank refilled. They usually have plenty of extinguishers that they have taken out of service - 2 ten pound extinguishers will nicely fill one ten pound power tank (one to cool it, one to fill it) and since they were going to discharge them anyway it is usually pretty cheap.

If you don't care about keeping your tank, just exchange at any welding supplier. Sometimes you can get really lucky (I have) an exchange a standard industrial tank and get somebody's shiny black power tank in exchange. :)

Golf286

Adventurer
Hey everyone,
Thanks for all of the insight and opinions that everybody has given.. We just got back from goneMoab and it was an amazing trip and it too it off I won a portable air compressor.. So now I'm going to buy a Powertank setup and run both.. It makes a lot of sense to have the best of both worlds.. Down the road I plan on doing a OBA system but that probably won't happen for a while

drbandkgb

Xterra Junky
What are you guys paying for refills? Looks to be about 30.00 here in Middle TN..

I own both.. and both have good and bad points.. The MV80 is a nice little pump..
I own the Smitybilt co2 tank..

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
I once ran nothing but high-end electric air, I even purchased the more expensive unit rated for RV pressures. That was, until I overheated it on a hot day. My bad of course. Being my third I decided to go with Power Tank. I have been supper happy.

XJINTX

Explorer
I have the power tank setup and love it for it's versatility on the trail.

Just an FYI I have had it filled at different place like AirGas , a welding supply and a fire extinguisher place. BUT the fastest (do while I wait) and cheapest is the local place that supplies all the restaurants and bars with CO2 and dry ice. $10 when completely empty.

tibfibber

Observer
I've got two 10# generic (not powertank) tanks that I used for CO2 about ten yrs ago. I used to get them filled for cheap at a fire extinguisher outfit that's now closed - been meaning get them useful again. Anyone know what the requirements or restrictions on fill are? ie: do I need to get them recertified?

DividingCreek

Explorer
I have a 20lb C02 tank I exchange @ the local welding supply place for $16. I use a fire extinguisher bracket as a holder and picked up a fixed pressure regulator cheap. I have less than $100 in the whole setup and have been using it for years.

farley27

Adventurer
for what I use it for(air tools and airing back up the rigs after surf fishing) the power tank has been great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78