Coffee Makers?

jerdog53

Explorer
So we went this way looking to improve the quality of the coffee but limit size and weight.

DSC04507_zpswhs3t6na.jpg

Its an Esbit stainless steel coffee maker

DSC04498_zpsvws0zvqj.jpg

Makes a cup at a time with grounds

DSC04501_zpshtwrkhcc.jpg

DSC04510_zpslqxodxib.jpg

and a bit of a mess at the same time....:coffeedrink:

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
What an enlightening thread! Always looking for creative ways to get great coffee while out on the trail.

Chris Boyd

Explorer
Oh, you can do the coffee press for like 15 bucks online, I just like all the kit offers. And the tacticool, expo-cool form factor of the AmmoCan

Lucky j

Explorer
Same here.

A bit bulky with the steam pipe and takes a little more water then you end up drinking in your cup, but soooo good, and the possibility of a good latte or an irish cream/latte on a slow outdoor morning! :) :)

did someone say espresso? Even froths milk! I use it with a propane single burner stove. Just have to watch it closely, it will over pressure and release steam if not watching close enough:

1279.jpg

thethePete

Explorer
How is that Oxx Box? Just checked it out, a little pricey, but seems worth it. What kind of draw does it take to run? I would imagine it's fairly high... Maybe not an issue for you solar fiends in the desert but those of us up in the rainforest might have some issues with it.

1MK

ExploreDesert
How is that Oxx Box? Just checked it out, a little pricey, but seems worth it. What kind of draw does it take to run? I would imagine it's fairly high... Maybe not an issue for you solar fiends in the desert but those of us up in the rainforest might have some issues with it.

Haven't got to use it on a trip yet, but been using every day at the house. So far so good.

Takes 1500 watts to run, so it falls in place with your typical coffee maker. My 2000 watt inverter doesn't seem to have any problem brewing cup after cup as long as the vehicle is running.

Quality seems fantastic, built like a tank. Love how it's self contained and water doesn't spill when it's tipped over. The carrying bag with pouches make it that much more convenient. Really stoked on it!

Must.Have.Coffee by The Adventure Continues, on Flickr

SportsmanJake

Adventurer
I've been most successful with an Aeropress. Both at home or on the road. All you need is hot water and it makes arguably one of the best cups of coffee.

photogdave

Adventurer
Although I'll continue using my Moka Pot for camping, I have been using an Aeropress at work for quite a while now.
I can't really add anything new about the quality and ease-of-use, but I did learn that the paper filters are reusable and I can get 4-5 days at 2 cups per day out of one filter.

photo nomad

Adventurer
MSR Reactor stove with the press attachment. Simple and no filters required. Makes a great cup of coffee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CCH

Adventurer
This is probably heresy, but when camping (backpacking, tent or camper) I have settled on and greatly enjoy Starbuck's Via instant. When I was doing more backpacking, I tried all sorts of stuff including Nescafe, Java Juice and assorted other mixes, but when Via came out I was hooked. When we started to do more car based camping, I started packing my French press so it would be just as good as at home other than pre-grinding the beans. However, I simply got tired of the hassle. My wife doesn't drink coffee, so I don't need more than I'll drink which a couple of packets of Via provide. I'm usually up first and get to enjoy my cup of coffee with just a short wait while everyone else is still working towards wakefulness. Clean up involves my washing out my mug.

Coffee is a very personal thing though, and I think you can only work it out through experimentation. I like mine rich and dark with no ups and no extras. Just coffee. As has been mentioned, tastebuds seem to expand their range in the backcountry. Things that would be simply palatable when served at your table at home, become rich and delicious when you've packed or driven a ways back to enjoy them. Freezer bag cooking when I'm backpacking falls into that category as does Via whenever I'm camping.

Robert Bills

Explorer
. . . Freezer bag cooking when I'm backpacking falls into that category as does Via whenever I'm camping.

Quick sidetrack: Do you have any good links for freezer bag camp cooking? I'm going out April 8-10, just bought a Foodsaver vacuum sealer at a yard sale, and want to put together a weekend freezer bag/boil in bag menu for two breakfasts and two dinners. You can send any links by private message so we don't hijack this thread further.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger