Coleman Taos build

BADDANDY

Adventurer
Sweet work and creativity.
To me it looks like your shackle angle might be high. If so, after your first run, check you spring end isn't hitting the frame. It'll also get worse with more weight added. I read under 45 degrees loaded is optimal.

Last edited:

Sharpie

Observer
Keep us informed on how your off road hitch works for you, please. Very neat ideas so far, keep up the good work. subscribed

Desert Rat 1

Adventurer
Sweet work and creativity.
To me it looks like your shackle angle might be high. If so, after your first run, check you spring end isn't hitting the frame. It'll also get worse with more weight added. I read under 45 degrees loaded is optimal.

Yes, that picture was taken before I added the coilover (helper springs) shocks, also it's a way back spring mount, it's mounted at the end of the frame, well, sub-frame in this case.
Here's some updated pictures with the shocks installed.

Last edited:

Lecoq

Explorer
It's a sweet setup. Post some pics of the camper all opened up. I'm interested to see how high from the ground it is.

Desert Rat 1

Adventurer
I did a pre-test of the suspension first (without the shocks), to see how the xj springs worked. After running some local trails, nothing extreme; I was very happy with them, but, even though the tires didn't rub or springs did not get stretched out all the way, I thought they were a just a little too soft, as the camper was not loaded. I started thinking of installing some add-a-lift springs I have laying around to compensate for the added weight when it was fully loaded and maybe some shocks. Then shopping around for shocks, I discovered the Monroe Sensa-Trac load adjusting shock absorbers, with progressive load rate springs, I think they're perfect for this application, they provide the shock absorbency needed for off-road use and the load adjusting needed for different load levels.

Desert Rat 1

Adventurer
Bumper

Next I had to figure where to carry my new spare tire, the stock spare tire carrier in front of the pup wouldn't fit the new tire, besides it's behind the tool box. I thought about ordering a bolt=on carrier from e-trailer, but the stock bumper is to weak. So I decided to replace the bumper with 3" c-channel and fabricate a fold down tire carrier that would not be in the way of the sliding bed.

Drilling the lift crank access hole.

"Designing" the fold down tire carrier.

At the last moment I installed a 2" hitch receiver, not to tow anything, but to install my cargo carrier when needed.

Bumper installed.

fjtoyman

The 2" receiver is a good idea, I would carry a bike rack. Looks like you'll have to relocate the license plate? CHP wouldn't give me any slack at all. Is this added to the stock trailer frame, or did you extend the add-on frame for this?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Desert Rat 1

Adventurer
I just reinforced the stock frame, later on If I see a need, I'll reinforce it more and maybe extend the sub-frame, but for now I think it's plenty strong for what I intend to use it.

Desert Rat 1

Adventurer
Spare Tire Carrier

Today I finished installing the swing down spare tire carrier. I'm happy with the results, it's pretty sturdy and it will carry the tire safely and out of the way.

I had some polyurethane bushings and a piece of 2" dom tubing.

Cut, drilled and welded 1/4" steel plate to a piece of square tubing.

And welded it to the 2" square tubing swing arm.

Drilled, painted and wheel studs installed.

two

thanks for informashson

Thanks for information . I plan to copy what you have done with the multi-axis hitch very clean

Desert Rat 1

Adventurer
Thanks for information . I plan to copy what you have done with the multi-axis hitch very clean

I'm glad it helps, I still have to try it in more extreme road conditions, I may have to make a longer arm on the TV side; I'll post the results when I do it.

One thing I forgot to mention before, between the two joint brackets there are two 3/4"weld holes that were not shown in the pictures, this will make the joint stronger.

fjtoyman

Haven't checked in lately, any progress or new stuff? How about towing off-road with that fabbed hitch?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Desert Rat 1

Adventurer
I haven't tried towing with it yet, I've worked on properly bolting down the front aluminum toolbox last weekend, because the previous owner used sheet metal screws only. I hope to have time to try it this weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior