Comfort of a RTT mattress!

Colin Hughes

Explorer
I just received a nice piece of the new Serta I-Comfort gel infused memory foam that I am going to cut to size for my Maggiolina. That will the stock mattress should be good as I am a side sleeper too. The Serta I-Comfort contour pillows are very comfortable as well. I was given a set for the tent but they are so good, we use them at home now too.

xpdishn

Adventurer
Any report on this setup?

See post #70. We have extensively tested this set up and it works like a dream. Easily inflated and gives just the added cushion to be really comfy. Open the valves as you get out of bed and they are deflated by the time you fold up the tent.

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
I think the best camping mattress on the market is the Exped Megamat. It's about 20% less comfortable than your mattress at home, but that's pretty good.

Kcdude

Adventurer
I think the best camping mattress on the market is the Exped Megamat. It's about 20% less comfortable than your mattress at home, but that's pretty good.

One nice thing about these is that they air down quickly for transport. I opted the pad route versus a foam mattress for this reason as it does not appear you can get more than another 1" or so of memory foam on top of the stock mattress and still fold it up.

The Megamat has a great feel to it that is not like other air core pads (tubes running the length) and is extremely comfortable. They are just not as configurable with our bag systems being 30" wide. I also am restricted by the width of our RTT and can fit 3x25" pads/bags or 1x50"+1X25"...can't do that with the Megamat.

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
One nice thing about these is that they air down quickly for transport. I opted the pad route versus a foam mattress for this reason as it does not appear you can get more than another 1" or so of memory foam on top of the stock mattress and still fold it up.

The Megamat has a great feel to it that is not like other air core pads (tubes running the length) and is extremely comfortable. They are just not as configurable with our bag systems being 30" wide. I also am restricted by the width of our RTT and can fit 3x25" pads/bags or 1x50"+1X25"...can't do that with the Megamat.

I also find the Megamat too wide. I wish they made it in 28" to fit better on a cot. As for deflation, I find it pretty laborious due to the flap covering the deflation valve. I have to fold it and unfold it three times to get all the air out.

gmoneyluv

We just swapped out the stock foam mattress on our ARB Simpson III with a self inflating Big Agnes Hinman Doublewide 50" x 78" x 2.5" pad. Significantly better insulation (and less condensation build-up between the pad and tent floor) during cold weather, plenty comfortable and allows for easier storage of bedding (when partially deflated) when folding the tent.

Last edited:

Kcdude

Adventurer
I also find the Megamat too wide. I wish they made it in 28" to fit better on a cot. As for deflation, I find it pretty laborious due to the flap covering the deflation valve. I have to fold it and unfold it three times to get all the air out.

You can do a quick mod on the flap and airing down is much easier. It just requires it to be plugged to not let air back in.

mrchips

Adventurer
Corey regarding post pic # 15,,,, the picture you posted with pillows, ladder, and comforter in the Airlander tent.
Question: do you store that in the tent when you close it, as it seems to not have as much room interior wise as an Airtop.

Thanks in advance

JKJenn

Adventurer
I tried a different approach this year, and it improved, but not perfected my sleep. The biggest improvement was using a Neo Stratoloft sleeping bag, which awesome fore side sleepers. If is roomier, plenty warm, and has a pocket/hood to hold my pillows. It also has a pocket in the bottom for your sleeping bag and 2 bag can be zipped together. This bag lone increased my comfort tremendously. I used a 2" Thermarest on top of the Pilbara hard as a rock mattress. I have considered pulling the mattress out and just keeping the Cabelas Ultimate pad in there, and using the Thermarest on top of it. I was unable to close the tent with my sleeping pad on top of my mattress (deflated) but think it might work if I used the Ultimate instead of a mattress. I think Josh nailed it - most of the RTT mattresses are brutal for side sleepers.

As a side note, it was pretty cold when I camped at Yellowstone but the tent and my Nemo bag kept me pretty toasty. I was hoping it would snow a bit more so I could test its snow-storm worthiness, but probably only got an inch.

yedi

Observer
I've got about 125 nights in my Maggiolina AirTop, and have discovered that the mattress has packed down in some areas (mostly hip and shoulders - I'm a side sleeper). I use a 3/4 length Ridge Rest pad under the mattress and it helps quite a bit. Not a long term solution, probably, but it works until I can come up with something more permanent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman