Comfort of a RTT mattress!

java

Expedition Leader
Very happy with mine now. I have a ~2.5" Medium/hard density foam (don't honestly remember what was ordered) with ~1.5" perforated latex foam on top. Good support, but really nice and soft. And the perforated latex doesn't feel hot like most foam does when sleeping on it in warmer weather. Way better than the CVT mattress, its a rock. Its also about 10-12" shorter than the CVT one, makes for a great spot for shoes, or contacts, water bottles etc at the foot of the bed.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I have a Truckbedz HD air mattress we've been using for 6 years and it's about 8" thick--very comfy-

I've putit in my RTT/w our "0" °F Dbbl sleeping bag-4-1/2" closed

On my return to Nv I'll deflateit and see if the TEPUI RTT closes enough for the travel cover/zipper-

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

fourstringfletch

Adventurer
I've been really happy with the mattress I linked on the previous page. Can't beat the price and the wife loves it too. A twin sounds small for 2 people I know, but we love it.
The cover isn't exactly expedition rated, but it does the job. I dyed mine grey with some RIT black dye, but the fabric doesn't take dye well so I imagine it won't stain either. I also flipped the foam pads in the cover so the 1" of memory foam is on the bottom; no more problems in the cold! :)

mattress.jpg

fourstringfletch

Adventurer
And a photo after a whole package of black dye...
Notice that the bottom fabric absorbed a lot more. Either side is soft enough to sleep on.
IMG_1481.jpg

fourstringfletch

Adventurer
AND finally, I just saw THIS which wasn't available when I bought mine. Looks like a better cover which is the only downfall of the one I have. Also available in larger sizes.

carbon60

Explorer
Waiting for a new RTT with a new mattress, can't wait to see the difference.

I'm always worried about latex and viscoelastic polyurethane foam's performance in sub-freezing temperatures. I might just have to "borrow" some from Walmart and give them a try.

A.

stingray1300

Explorer
We added a 2" memory foam pad to our Tepui's stock mattress pad. SUPER comfy. And as far as it getting cold and feeling like a brick, well, how's this for a 'wake-up' temp:
DSC_0157 - Copy.jpg

I'd say there's nothing to worry about... (but DANG it's a bear making up the coffee when it's that cold!!!)

grogie

Like to Camp
^That is a nice temp! Last spring I hit 34 one morning, and I had to force myself out as I needed that boiling hot coffee. I was using an old sleeping bag that was a better fit for summer. That hurt...

Anyway... I added a cheap double sleeping bag that I put a 1-1/2" gel topper inside it, then put that on top of the Tepui pad. It's so comfortable!

6fe006.jpg

Im not sure how well this would work for a RTT.

http://www.nickleatlantic.com/products1.html

I tried this out on the GordiGear Savannah trailer tent about a month ago. Makes a comfortable mattress, Very comfortable. We just ordered our GordiGear Savannah but opted to not get the Froli Sleep System because they are a little pricey and we can add them at a later time easily.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: These are the reasons I'm trying our tried/true HD airmattress and "0"°F Dbbl sleeping bag(4" thick)---I want to be able to close the RTT and be able to zip the cover with everything INSIDE-

I've also gotta 4-cup 12vdc coffee pot, I'll keep inside, (camping), so I can just turnon when we awake, instead of having to getup/getout/start stove--yuk

Just another creature comfort, without to much suburb conversion

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12