Compact 4x4s

Storz

Explorer
With gas prices continuing to rise some of the smaller 4x4s are starting to look pretty good. My plan originally was to pick up an FJ60 or cheap FJZ80 (and I still may) however reading stories of the abysmal gas mileage has got me questing if thats a good idea.

My main reason for purchasing a 4x4 is to have something to drive on the beaches here in NC, my parents are in the process of purchasing a house that is only accessible by a 15 mile cruise along the coast (yes awesome, I know) and to have something to head up into the mountains to do some camping with.

I really like the 80s Suzuki Samurai and it seems to be pretty well respected. Did these come with a low range gear? I am also looking at the Sidekick.

I see the Rav4 can be had with 4wd, but is it true 4wd or more like a car-type awd system? Do they have low range?

Any others I should be looking at? Geo Tracker perhaps?

Thanks!

haven

Expedition Leader
The RAV4 lacks a low range. All the Suzuki 4x4s (Samurai, Sidekick, Vitara) do have low range. The Geo and Chevrolet Tracker is a re-badged Suzuki. Also consider the Jeep Liberty, although it's larger and heavier so it gets fewer miles per gallon (16 mpg vs 18 mpg for the Suzuki, according to EPA).

jagular7

Adventurer
Many options to choose for considering a smaller 4x4. Many are still built body on frame whereas others are uni-body design. The uni-body design tends to be the fashion and lead to a pleasurable ride.
If you research for aftermarket support, then the smaller 4x4s will shine with all the options out there.

madizell

Explorer
If you can find a clean Samurai with a good motor, I think you will like it, especially as a beach toy. They are light and nimble, and endlessly modifiable.

Seth Kendall

Adventurer
I love my Samurai! It goes anywhere. It isn't even close to stock, but it does have the stock motor and it still gets good gas mileage when compared to most other off-road vehicles. The great thing about them is that you can pick them up for a good price and they are fairly cheap to mod and repair.
DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0147.jpg

I also drive a 2wd RAV4, and while I love it as a daily driver, I think that you would probably be better suited by an XL-7 or Grand Vitara if you are looking into newer vehicles off-road capable vehicles.

haven

Expedition Leader
Seth,
What companies would you recommend for aftermarket
off-road parts for Suzuki?
Chip Haven

chet

island Explorer
I am a confessed suzuki nut! :jump:

I have owner everthing from a '79 lj80 to our now 2001 XL7. the samurais are great off roaders and have lots of aftermarket support. they lack size and power.

If you have more than two people and gear than a 4 door sidekick is a great choice. there is a fair amount of stuff for them (bumpers, lifts, lockers, tcase gears etc.) they are still body on frame and have a true low range. the '92-'98's are good and can be had fully optioned.

I had a 4 door kick lifted on 30" tires and it went alot of places people didn't think it would. my 120 km round trip killed it though. so we bought the XL7 and a ultra rare long wheel base samurai for my wheelin vehicle.

sites to check out:

www.zukiworld.com
www.zukikrawlers.com
www.zuwharrie.com

all have good forums

suppliers are... lots! www.trailtough.com is probably the best service you will find.

others are www.petroworks.com
www.calmini.com (be warned their products are good but service sucks!)
www.rocky-road.com
www.lowrangeoffroad.com
www.zorproducts.com

BiG BoB

Adventurer
The problem is that you're looking at FJ60's

Get a HJ60, I've never seen more than 12L/100km out of mine in the last 25 years, and that was towing a big boat!

Around town or on the highway it's ususally 9-11L/100km

Better than many new vehicles!

Sean

Seth Kendall

Adventurer
chet said:
I am a confessed suzuki nut! :jump:

I have owner everthing from a '79 lj80 to our now 2001 XL7. the samurais are great off roaders and have lots of aftermarket support. they lack size and power.

If you have more than two people and gear than a 4 door sidekick is a great choice. there is a fair amount of stuff for them (bumpers, lifts, lockers, tcase gears etc.) they are still body on frame and have a true low range. the '92-'98's are good and can be had fully optioned.

I had a 4 door kick lifted on 30" tires and it went alot of places people didn't think it would. my 120 km round trip killed it though. so we bought the XL7 and a ultra rare long wheel base samurai for my wheelin vehicle.

sites to check out:

www.zukiworld.com
www.zukikrawlers.com
www.zuwharrie.com

all have good forums

suppliers are... lots! www.trailtough.com is probably the best service you will find.

others are www.petroworks.com
www.calmini.com (be warned their products are good but service sucks!)
www.rocky-road.com
www.lowrangeoffroad.com
www.zorproducts.com

Chip,

Chet pretty much nailed it on the head of who to look for after-market parts for Suzuki's. If you happen to live on the West Coast some of these might work out really well for you with pick-up or less shipping.

\\'anderer

Adventurer
I recently sold my Suburban and pick up this samurai. I have only had it for a couple weeks

This is my; commuter/tow-behind-the-RV/all around "fun" vehicle. I found it fun to drive and there are plenty of aftermarket parts available. It is underpowered in my stock ,california, smog legal configuration.

I have seen some cool diesel engine swap samurai's

jh504

Explorer
Hey a fellow triangle dweller! My vote is for the Sami, I have been thinking about picking one up myself as a strictly trail rig. I have a good friend in Wake Forest who buys and sells Samurais if you are interested in trying to pick one up local. He currently has 2 sami projects he is working with, both are hardtops. Let me know if you would like to check them out. Also I do a lot of exploring here in NC and I have some pretty good routes (not to mention access to 75 acres of private land with trails), so if your ever interested in meeting up and doing some riding just let me know!

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
chet said:
and a ultra rare long wheel base samurai for my wheelin vehicle.

:drool: those are SOOOOOo cool, please post up some pics/details about it. Although they are small, the LWB Sammi's (aren't they called something else, Sumo's or something?)is just a FANTASTIC trail rig.

Cheers

Dave

chet

island Explorer
I'll be moving it tonight so I will snap some pics. It goes into the shop for a couple of months for : new swampers, bumpers, exhaust, power steering, front fenders, rockers and some other minor stuff to get ready for a club 4x4 weekend in the end of Sept.

This is the one I am keeping. My wife has been giving me crap about switching vehicles soo much be a LWB sammy is just right. I am going to be adding insulation and carpeting to hopefully quiet down the roadnoise and would like to take some longer trips in it once its done.

Hopefully Suzuki follows through on the knock off Nissan Frontier so I can swap our XL7 for that in a few years!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears