Compact 4x4s

RAV4fun

Observer
Call me biased...but don't rule out a RAV4. They don't have a low range, but 5-speeds from the first gen(96-01) do have an optional locking center differential. That combined with the light weight and Toyota dependability...and it'd make a great little sand rig. I'm waiting for the weekend to take my new-to-me 96 out on some forest roads...will report back...

RAV4fun

Observer
CSG said:
So, where's the report? ;)

Hehe...sorry folks, I forgot this week was the middle of the High Holy Days (I'm Jewish) and that I was going to be a little pre-occupied.

I'm going to try again for this Sunday to get out and see what this little buggy can do. Pics and report...hopefully...to come Sunday night/Monday morning.

Ahem...I should also have the new O2 sensor in by then so I'll know if that was causing the CEL...

sheesh

SGV

Adventurer
Seth Kendall said:
Thanks. I agree Suzi is very cool.

Seth, how does that Samurai treat you on long outings?

I have what appears to be a pretty pristine '93 near me for sale, but am a little worried about the size and how far I can travel in one considering the amount of gear needed for a short excursion in the wild. I crawled around underneath it and the body and mounts looks solid. They are asking $2650 OBO. It has been up for a few weeks and the price came down a few hundred early on, and then stayed at this price.

Suzuki Samurai jeep 4x4 1993 . Newly painted White with new replacement black soft top, no back seat, 5 speed, 72,000 original miles Great on gas over 35 mpg. 4x4 works well the light is stuck on, but has no affect on the 4x4 working. Because it is only a 4 cylinder it is not so great for highway comutes. Great for the coming winter get you thru the snow back and forth to work or fun in the summer with no top or for those into adventure turn it into a rock crawler
1fa12513bZZZZZZZZZ8at1de60f68b55b17aa.jpg
1f112c141ZZZZZZZZZ8atd5e7350fcd621ced.jpg

SGV

Adventurer
RAV4fun said:
Call me biased...but don't rule out a RAV4. They don't have a low range, but 5-speeds from the first gen(96-01) do have an optional locking center differential. That combined with the light weight and Toyota dependability...and it'd make a great little sand rig. I'm waiting for the weekend to take my new-to-me 96 out on so me forest roads...will report back...

My wife drives a 2nd gen and it at least does very well in the snow. It feels like a little buggy on the soft stuff.

chet

island Explorer
the '93 is fuel injected. you can help the power ALOT by adding a header, cam and bigger exhaust. Alsoif you swap to OME leaf springs the ride improves drastically. Or you can go to YJ leaves and leave it spring under. You will gain around 3" of lift but the springs ride better because they are longer.

SGV

Adventurer
Or I could go OME YJ springs for an even better ride?

Looks like the Sammies went FI in 1990. I have heard that these years are good finds. My wife likes the Samurai much better than the Land Cruisers I showed her. Looks like we are going to check this one out this weekend. They just dropped the price another 50 bucks.

Edit:
chet said:
the '93 is fuel injected. you can help the power ALOT by adding a header, cam and bigger exhaust.

How much is a lot? I can't imagine more than 80 hp, but for a vehicle this light that should be fine. I hope the real winner would be to push its torque numbers near 100. I have driven little cars with low HP, and they performed just fine with some awesome mpg figures. How I miss my MX-3.

Last edited:

chet

island Explorer
if you keep the tires stock or near stock the power will be fine. not uphill in 5th gear fine though unless the motor is like new. A header is really simple and helps some and a 2" or 2 1/4" exhaust really helps as well as the stock pee shooter exhaust is really restrictive. A cam really helps but requires removing the head which is a bit of a job.

SGV

Adventurer
I don't think I have ever driven a manual that can go uphill in 5th without some loss of speed. Then again, I have never owned a manual with more than 4 cylinders. I have read that the Samurais are really easy to work on. I think someone said all you really need is a 10mm wrench. I am sure this is an exaggeration, but I like the idea of simplicity. But for expedition duty, how small is too small? There have been some pretty massive lists of required gear for a proper expedition listed and I can't see that amount of stuff fitting in anything smaller than an Excursion (kidding). How much can you pack in a Sammy?

chet

island Explorer
my sammy is the long wheel base version so I can pack alot. Like me, wife, kid and all our camping gear. When I had a shorty I could pack all our gear for a weekend in the back. I also had a roof rack box though.

As for simple if you have an 8,10,12,14,17 metric wrenches it will take a sammy apart EXCEPT for the dumb phillips head screws they used on the hinges!

SGV

Adventurer
chet said:
As for simple if you have an 8,10,12,14,17 metric wrenches it will take a sammy apart EXCEPT for the dumb phillips head screws they used on the hinges!

Now that's what I am talking about! It would be nice if everything were that simple.

Seth Kendall

Adventurer
Sorry for the delay.

My Suzuki is not FI as it is a pre-90's model, which means I don't get anywhere in a hurry, but on the flipside, I can go everywhere on minimal gas. For me and the fiance it is more than ample room for weekend to week long excursions. We removed the seats and added a rack in the back to double space. Further, we tend to pack fairly light. More on the backpacking side. So, dependent on what you are hoping to do with expeditions this could be the perfect vehicle especially at that price. If I plan on going on longer trips I just go with friends with bigger rigs and AT trailers. Let them pack the extra gear. Hahahaha. Buy it.

SGV

Adventurer
A big realization occurred when we were loading the kayaks on my wife's Rav4. These things are too big for it. I am thinking the vehicle size I need will fall between a 4-door Sidekick and a Gen II Montero. I will definitely be putting the Samurai on the back burner because I do want one, it just isn't feasible for me yet.

I was being selfish, but here is the full craigslist post for anyone else who might be interested.

http://providence.craigslist.org/cto/916261514.html

From my very inexpert poking around, it looks solid. The interior looks nice, the tires appear to be fairly new.

mauricio_28

Adventurer
I own a D40 Nissan Navara, and though I absolutely love it, I'd like a smaller vehicle for shorter-hauls and city jaunts to complement the Navara. I came across a 4x4 1992 Sukuki Vitara (aka Sidekick) 1.6L JLX with 82,000 kilometers and recently overhauled engine. The initial asking price is about US$6k. Here are some pix:
http://www.mobillaku.com/mod/popup.php?id=11515&pos=0
http://www.mobillaku.com/mod/popup.php?id=11515&pos=1
http://www.mobillaku.com/mod/popup.php?id=11515&pos=2
http://www.mobillaku.com/mod/popup.php?id=11515&pos=3
http://www.mobillaku.com/mod/popup.php?id=11515&pos=4

It's got a body and suspension lift, but the initial asking price seems a bit over-priced given that you can pick up a 1980s Toyota FJ40 for that much.

Nevertheless I am seeing it tomorrow because my GF is looking for a used car to use in Bali. I initially suggested an FJ40, but she thought the Vitara was more her style...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears