Compact Utility bed turned Expedition trailer (CUB)

waterboy222

Adventurer
I figured since everyone names their builds, I'd name mine to. CUB, Compact Utility Bed. Not very exciting but it fits..

Just picked up this truck bed trailer yesterday from a post here on expeditionportal.com.

It was over in Bentonville which is only about 90 minutes from me. After checking things out and agreeing on a price, it was hooked up and pulled home.

From what I can tell its a utility bed and frame from a chevy s-10. A new (very) heavy duty box was added to the front and a tongue/hitch welded on.

It came with two different tops. One is a WILDERNEST shortbed tent top. The other is a long bed basic camper (?) top..

After setting up the wildernest and taking it down a couple of times, I decided to pull it off. With the upcoming 4" lift and 31's, It will be too tall for what I want and I'm not crazy about how long the wildernest takes to set up. I do a lot of traveling alone and trying to set this up by myself in the wind is kinda sketchy I do LOVE how you enter the wildernest from inside the truck bed though. By adding a twin mattress in the box, you could add one more sleeping space easily. (For SALE $300)

I ordered 3 kits from Upol Raptor to paint the body. Inside the bed will be black and the exterior will be Anvil (same as the jeep). Wheels will match the jeep as well, as soon as I can figure out what size to order.

Not sure if I'll just do a Springover conversion or change the suspension entirely. I really need it to come up 6'' so it will sit level behind the jeep. Does anyone have any recommendations to make it more stable? With the S-10 suspension under it, it handles potholes and washboard roads beautifully, but it rocks from driver side to passenger side VERY badly. Almost like you could turn it over by standing on one side. Somewhere along the way, someone has added a set of overload springs. I assume to try to compensate for this issue. Im afraid its going to roll over in a turn..

Well, here she is. The tear down started today. Hoping to get new bumpers and a cargo rack fabbed up this week and start shopping for a new RTT. Are there any of them that open up from underneath, like the wildernest, instead of off to the side?

First Post, looking forward to getting this all set up and getting on the road!

wildernest.jpg

excursion1.jpg

photo 3.jpg

jeeps4fun

Adventurer
Hey Cale! Glad to see the build here. I was thinking on the side to side that a little stiffer shock would help control that roll. That and like I mentioned it still hasn't made it to the overload springs which might also help roll.

Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Justin

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
I see POTENTIAL! Those Wildernest's are pretty neat and give you a LOT of space. Are you sure you want to toss it?

waterboy222

Adventurer
The more I play with the wildernest, the more I like it. But the ability to take a dirtbike with me trumps the coolness factor of the wilderness. I'm considering doing some quick connect attachments so I can have it both ways. Plus its SO heavy. I want to be able to pull this in the sand without getting buried so weight is an issue.

Started sanding and filling holes today. Cut out a rusty portion of the bed and getting a new plate welded in. Hoping to start the Raptor Liner next week.

waterboy222

Adventurer
jyhe5yjy.jpg
aruseqem.jpg
u3ybeme2.jpg

Made a little more progress tonight. Everything is sanded down and ready for color-matched bedliner, fitted the jeep flares (still need some trimming) and working on the lift now. Cargo rack and rear spare tire carrier is comin this weekend I hope..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Cool build.
Does it still have the S10 rear end?
Will you be swapping the axle for a trailer version?
Wider track may help.

waterboy222

Adventurer
Yes, it still has the S10 rear end. My plans are to eventually build a new frame for the box so I'm not doing much underneath right now. After the lift is done, I'll figure out what length of shocks to get and try some adjustables. The new tires are going to be considerably wider than the stock ones so that will help with the stability. I'd like to put a TASS axleless suspension under it but I wont until I get a new frame built for it. With all the weight of the axle, truck frame, hitch and tongue (that's way overbuilt), I can shed a lot of weight. I still haven't pulled it with the Rubicon yet since I don't have a hitch for it.

waterboy222

Adventurer
Im hitting a few snags on trying to decide what to do about wheels and tires. Im not sure if I should go ahead and buy matching wheels/tires and the pieces that convert lug pattern to jeep or if I should just put some new tires on these stock wheels and add some spacers and call it good for now.

I have concerns how the trailer will handle with 35s on 20" rims.

waterboy222

Adventurer
Thanks for the compliments. Bought all the steel for the rear bumper and cargo rack today. Hoping to get a good start on it this weekend! The body will be lined in the 10th anniversary colors (Anvil) with black door handles, matte black wheels with red accents, black bumpers and red towhooks.. Lookin forward to seein some color on her..

Arya Ebrahimi

Adventurer
My utility bed based camper trailer is on 35s and handles like a dream. I don't think you can rule out the tires based on their size. I think the more important thing to be concerned with is dialing in the suspension(mine is airbagged).

brushogger

Explorer
Glad this went to a good home. I considered buying it myself. I recently missed out on an aluminum compact utility bed with an aluminum shell. Still may buy one for a build starting point. I'll be following this one. 😄

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

waterboy222

Adventurer
My utility bed based camper trailer is on 35s and handles like a dream. I don't think you can rule out the tires based on their size. I think the more important thing to be concerned with is dialing in the suspension(mine is airbagged).

Do you have a link to your pics? Or some you could post here? Is your utility bed a compact or a full size?

waterboy222

Adventurer
Glad this went to a good home. I considered buying it myself. I recently missed out on an aluminum compact utility bed with an aluminum shell. Still may buy one for a build starting point. I'll be following this one. ��

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Thanks! I really enjoy it so far..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78