Compact Utility bed turned Expedition trailer (CUB)

waterboy222

Adventurer
Finally a little progress.. Its mobile again and being used. So far been on two camping trips. I wanted to spend a couple nights with it to see exactly what I wanted out of it before continuing with mods. I definitely want a different hitch, the 2" ball binds on even the smallest of inclines. I removed the front box and made it into a spot for a bike or to carry extra firewood. Im not sure if I will add a rack and go with a RTT or leave it open so I can carry two bikes or canoes/kayaks.. Added new leaf spring hangers, new old man emu custom springs, a 3500# axle with brakes and all new wiring for LED tail lights and marker lights..

Attachments

• photo(9).JPG
    photo(9).JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 70
  • photo(7).JPG
    photo(7).JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 66
  • photo(8).JPG
    photo(8).JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 63

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I like it. What about an expanded metal basket for the front for firewood or bulky items?
Nice ride height with the new springs.
Will you be painting it to match the jeep?

waterboy222

Adventurer
The original plan was to use expanded metal but I decided to just cut down the box that was there since it had such heavy gauge metal already built in. More bracing would be required with the addition of the mesh... Ive thought about adding a basket forward of the front shelf but it really cuts down on the tongue length that I like so much. Since its so well balanced now, I hate to upset that ratio. As it sits right now, I can unhook it from the jeep and walk the front end around by myself. If I add too much tongue weight, I'll lose that balance and add more weight to the rear of the jeep..

And yes, it will be raptor lined in the same Anvil color as the jeep with a splash of red on the wheels to match. The ride height seems just about perfect, along with the longer length tongue. The fenders are CJ-7 garb cut down to fit the bed sides.

waterboy222

Adventurer
Finally a little more movement on it.. Decided against going with the exterior bedliner paint, mainly because of time and the ability to make spot repairs after welding on the racks and bumpers, etc.. Paint is SMOKE GRAY. I decided to go with a neutral color in case I wanted to pull it with a different vehicle or upgrade/sell vehicles later on. The Anvil color is just so unique that it really wouldn't match anything else..

Paint is about 90% done. The latches will be painted black and the floor is being replaced.. Next comes the new rear bumper with gas can holders and the rack to hold the canoe/tent. Haven't decided what that setup will entail just yet!

Attachments

• IMG_0170.JPG
    IMG_0170.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

waterboy222

Adventurer
IMG_0220.JPG

Headed out to get the rack and floor done next.. Just need to get my locks ordered for the latches, thats proven to be a larger challenge than anticipated. I had them in a baggie soaking in WD40 and can not find them ANYWHERE. I think I tossed them by accident thinking they were a bag of bolts from the old suspension..

waterboy222

Adventurer
A little more progress this week on the little trailer... The rack is finally finished. It will hold two spares, one for the jeep and one for the trailer. I will be adding a small ATV winch and rollers to lift the spares up to the rack then bolted in place with spare matching lugnuts.

I still need to figure out what hitch to go with and swap out the shocks, they're beyond trashed now. Its first big trip will be next week out to Moab. I will post pics as the final parts are put on..

Next will be the yakima roof rack, fuel cans, shovel/hilift mounts and a few other odds and ends. The bed will hold action packer style tubs for all the gear. So far haven't done anything with the doors or organizing anything in the cabinets..

Attachments

• IMG_0703.JPG
    IMG_0703.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 411
  • IMG_0706.JPG
    IMG_0706.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 411
  • IMG_0707.JPG
    IMG_0707.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 409

waterboy222

Adventurer
Thanks, its really coming together quickly now. I Finished up the hitch last night. Went with a lunette eye and pintle setup. I wanted a little more flexibility but the count down for Moab is on so I had to get something locally for now. Todays list is to tackle the shocks issue and remount the painted cage and start bolting on gas cans, shovels, spares, c02, etc. Amazing how much stuff I have to mount. Originally I was pretty happy with the paintjob but I think after my trip (and when the bumper is finished up) Ill have the whole thing sandblasted then painted over at Maaco to match the jeep.

waterboy222

Adventurer
A few more of the progress today.. Pulled the rack down and painted it, added the yakima basket, smittybilt fuel cans and holders, LED interior lights and reverse LED flood lights.

Attachments

• IMG_0738.JPG
    IMG_0738.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0737.JPG
    IMG_0737.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0735.JPG
    IMG_0735.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 33

waterboy222

Adventurer
A couple more..

It came out a little taller than I had originally anticipated by putting the spare on top of the rack. But it will eventually be mounted inside the rack to lower the COG a little..

Attachments

• IMG_0741.JPG
    IMG_0741.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0739.JPG
    IMG_0739.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 37

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle