Comparing Discovery Sport and Subaru Outback

Jwestpro

Explorer
Pretty sure that Subaru is a Premium not a limited, big difference between Premium and Limited I have one of each, I bought Grandma a Premium and my wife and I have a Limited.

Did you really have to quote all the big photos right below where they were posted? :coffeedrink:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Pretty sure that Subaru is a Premium not a limited, big difference between Premium and Limited I have one of each, I bought Grandma a Premium and my wife and I have a Limited.

LOL, I think you completely missed the point I was trying to make.

Jwestpro

Explorer
LOL, I think you completely missed the point I was trying to make.

No, I think it's that the photo you posted is not of the nicest Subaru offering. He is correct about the "Limited" builds being their nicest interior and therefor a better comparison in the above array of vehicles.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
No, I think it's that the photo you posted is not of the nicest Subaru offering. He is correct about the "Limited" builds being their nicest interior and therefor a better comparison in the above array of vehicles.

Ah! How's this then. Better?

2015-subaru-outback-3-6r-3.jpg

BillTex

Adventurer
Anyone who is shopping this category and has not looked at the newly re-designed for 15' OB is really missing out. We just replaced the Wife's 99...and the new OB is a very nice car...and quite a value.
Go test drive one...you'll be impressed...and may end up with a lot of $cratch left in your pocket for your next road trip.

zelatore

Explorer
I have to agree with Nathan - 'Premium' has little to do with actual performance in this class and more to do with perceived quality, brand image, and excusivity (i.e. snob appeal) as well as interior feel and wow-factor, followed by on-road driving pleasure. And not necessarily in a performance mindset but more the luxury 'coddle you' mindset of driving pleasure. No matter how good the Subaru is, it doesn't compete based on the 'snob appeal' factor. Just ask Toyota about this - that's why they started the whole Lexus thing. Nobody wanted to pay big money for a Toyota, but slap a different badge on it and suddenly it's a desirable name even it it's little more than the same car that's sold across the street under the doughboy sign but with nicer leather.
I also find it funny to hear everybody complaining about how uselessly small all these different vehicles are. Welcome to America, land of the Big Gulp! Personally, I like a smaller vehicle for most applications. Not everybody wants to haul around 4-5-6 kids. We complain when we don't get the cool European stuff, and yet we complain when it does come her that it's not super-sized. Go figure.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Land Rover gives Discovery Sport new Ingenium diesel power [w/videos]

"....JLR has just announced that the new Ingenium diesel engines will be offered in the Discovery Sport – in some markets, anyway. The seven-seat off-roader will be offered with the 2.0-liter diesel four, mated to either a manual or automatic transmission, and in two states of tune: one with 148 horsepower and the other with 177. With the more powerful of the two, the Discovery Sport will be able to reach 62 miles per hour in 8.9 seconds and top out at 117 mph, while the most economical version is claimed to return 57.7 miles per gallon (on the European cycle, at any rate).......

Land Rover introduces advanced Ingenium engine to Discovery Sport

- Land Rover announces new Ingenium diesel engine for Discovery Sport
- Enhanced efficiency and refinement for award-winning premium compact SUV
- Delivers CO2 emissions from 129g/km and up to 57.7mpg (4.9 l/100km) fuel economy
- Globally, Land Rover has now received more than 15,000 Discovery Sport orders as international roll-out continues
- Initially available to order in Europe and South Korea from May 2015

Jwestpro

Explorer
I also find it funny to hear everybody complaining about how uselessly small all these different vehicles are. Welcome to America, land of the Big Gulp! Personally, I like a smaller vehicle for most applications. Not everybody wants to haul around 4-5-6 kids. We complain when we don't get the cool European stuff, and yet we complain when it does come her that it's not super-sized. Go figure.
No, I think you misinterpret what some people, me anyway, mean in talking about vehicle size. For me it's more about proportion and what shape and volume of interior space do I get for the external footprint. Many of these smaller vehicles are kind of crap in terms of interior space to exterior footprint ratio with all their tapered roof-lines and sloped sides with bulging fenders.

Also, not everyone is talking about kids when they want interior space. These smaller crossovers require hauling cargo boxes on the roof in order to bring much along. Some people ski, mtn bike, etc and don't like to put these things out in the open on a vehicle in the elements, etc. Additionally, a small fuel efficient vehicle usually sucks with massive cargo boxes or bikes on top killing the fuel economy and handling in the process.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
20 mpg...no thanks...

My full size deezul truck does better...

18 city/ 24 highway for the 270 hp 0-60 in 7 seconds v6 awd which is on par with the vehicles discussed in this thread.

How many miles till you break even on that deezul? ;)

nwoods

Expedition Leader

That's a really good point that too few people calculate. I find the enjoyment factor of a 300hp motor (like in my Acura), plus the LOOONNNGGG payback period for a newer economy car just doesn't pencil out.

Ryan, did you test drive the Acura as discussed in the other thread? I'm not trying to save you money, but I can't help compare a $20k 2008/9 Acura MDX to a $40,000 2015 Highlander, and like the Acura more because of its features, design, and drive feel, then there's that twenty grand you might save for a nice adventure trailer.....

BillTex

Adventurer
18 city/ 24 highway for the 270 hp 0-60 in 7 seconds v6 awd which is on par with the vehicles discussed in this thread.

yep...figure 20 mpg average. 2 co-workers both report same. The 15 Suby is at 31 mpg ~. It is larger than the Highlander as well...the back seat is comfy (reclines!) for me at 6' and actually does seat 3 across.
Just because it's a yota...don't assume it's efficient.

Our diesel truck serves a purpose (tow vehicle for large toys) it is not a competitor in this category,I just thought it interesting that our full sized truck is almost as efficient as the highlander. But is does return 22 mpg on the hwy unladed. "Payback" versus a bb gasser (which would not be suitable for towing our toys) is short...the BB gasser/Allison alternative available at that time saved ~ $1800...and would have pulled ~ 9 mpg towing versus 15 mpg towing with the deezul.

Back to the regularly scheduled program...

155mm

Adventurer
That's a really good point that too few people calculate. I find the enjoyment factor of a 300hp motor (like in my Acura), plus the LOOONNNGGG payback period for a newer economy car just doesn't pencil out.

Ryan, did you test drive the Acura as discussed in the other thread? I'm not trying to save you money, but I can't help compare a $20k 2008/9 Acura MDX to a $40,000 2015 Highlander, and like the Acura more because of its features, design, and drive feel, then there's that twenty grand you might save for a nice adventure trailer.....

Holy crap... I didn't believe you on the 40k price until I looked it up myself. MSRP for a 2015 Highlander with AWD starts at $38,900. 4Runner 4x4 pricing starts at $35,470. I wouldn't have expected that...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger