Concerns with a 91 taco im looking at.. what do I look for?

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
I don’t even know if it is even worth owning the new stuff anymore... as you probably want to turn it in before the warranty is up.

I should correct myself... We don't even buy equipment anymore. It's all RTO, and gets returned once the warranty/big services are due. More cost effective overall

Clutch

<---Pass
I should correct myself... We don't even buy equipment anymore. It's all RTO, and gets returned once the warranty/big services are due. More cost effective overall

When we had our construction biz, we owned all of our stuff, of course this was years and years ago. I haven't been in the biz for over 25 years now. And we always bought used, where I get my cheapness from.

Now-a-days...with the equipment becoming so complex and expensive, renting/leasing makes so much more sense.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
What does a broken timing belt sound like? Ive lived in a pushrod world.
A broken timing belt (like used in the 3.4L 5VZ-FE V6) would render the engine inoperable. There's no warning per say, you inspect it like you would any other drive belt and typically you just replace it on the periodic schedule.

They may warn you when the idler pulley bearings are worn out. That will sound like, well, worn bearings. Grinding, howling, ticking, whine. Otherwise, if you're lucky, it may start to run rough when the belt has stretched but hasn't yet broken.

If you're asking about a timing chain (like used in the 2.4L 22R-E 4 cylinder), well a broken one would also stop (and probably damage) the engine, however they sometimes give you warning when a tensioner or guide has failed by sounding like rattling diesel engine.

Reactions: bkg

phsycle

Adventurer
Also, 3.4L 5VZ is a non-interference engine. Meaning most likely, nothing should get damaged if the belt snaps. I’ve also never heard of an OEM belt snapping before 90k. Every time I’ve pulled the belt off at 90-100k intervals, they almost looked new.

Just plan on changing it if there is no record and do it every 90k with OEM parts.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Also, 3.4L 5VZ is a non-interference engine. Meaning most likely, nothing should get damaged if the belt snaps.
Since @goldenfiber may want to know, generally speaking Toyota used to use a belt on non-interference engines and a chain on interference engines. These days it may not be true, the 1GR is all chains but is non-interference AFAIK. OTOH the 2UZ (4.7L V8) is supposedly an interference engine but with belts.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior