Concerns with a 91 taco im looking at.. what do I look for?

Clutch

<---Pass
While we're airing grievances, I also hate that all trails around here are equestrian-friendly. I realize some of these trails were originally built for this purpose and they play a big part of funding a part of these trails. But they sure tear up the trails. And there is nothing like coming around a corner to a huge pile of horse crap. All over the wheels, back, bike, mouth. Fun times.

But you should get a 1st Gen Tacoma.

I don't really care about multiuse trails. As long as people are cordial to each other, I am ok with everyone sharing. As I do it all hike, bicycle, moto...once in awhile you're catch me on a horse. Whatever I am doing...I always yield to whoever. I "get it"...we all want our own trails as we are all inherently selfish by nature (including myself)...but what we really need to do is know how to share and get along with each better. And that is coming from a person who has misanthropic tendencies. :D

Of course in this day and age...be cordial to each other...yeah, good luck.

Though this is probably the best trailhead sign I have ever seen. Used my 1st Gen Tacoma with the 3.4 that refuses to die (hint hint) to haul the moto, mountain bike, and hiking boots to this spot...

35541601_10156511324769630_7111170213751554048_n.jpg

Last edited:

goldenfiber

Can I tow a uhaul trailer with a 1st gen taco? Like a 8x12? Thats probably too big but still..

inb4 dont tow huge loads safety blah blah blah. I know all this already but not what the taco can do.

Clutch

<---Pass
Can I tow a uhaul trailer with a 1st gen taco? Like a 8x12? Thats probably too big but still..

inb4 dont tow huge loads safety blah blah blah. I know all this already but not what the taco can do.

IIRC towing capacity is 5000 lbs. I like to be at about half that...even then....2000 lbs seems about max to be comfortable. And that is an open 5X8' trailer. Enclosed 8X12 Uhaul...that would be a no, have to think about air resistance even if you're under weight. It would be miserable towing.

goldenfiber

I towed a 5x8(10?) with a '13 sonic turbo from Seattle to OKC once. Pretty sure that car was not rated to tow anything but it worked.

Clutch

<---Pass
I towed a 5x8(10?) with a '13 sonic turbo from Seattle to OKC once. Pretty sure that car was not rated to tow anything but it worked.

I hauled a yard of gravel in that trailer, which is roughly 3000 lbs (trailer is 950 lbs)...it wasn't happy. Thankfully it was only 3 miles round trip from the landscape place.

Now, think I'll just get it delivered for $20 next time. That whole thing of "do I really need to own a vehicle" thing comes to mind...if wasn't for liking to ride dirt bikes, mountain bikes, hiking and camping...probably not....oh and that whole thing of having to commute to work BS to pay for it all... ha ha. ;):D

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer

Enclosed? For a trailer that big, I'd go at least to a 2nd Gen Tacoma, but personally, I would get an 05-06 Tundra for towing duties anything more than 3k lbs on a regular basis. Or even an older F150 V6 would do the job just fine.

Reactions: bkg

phsycle

Adventurer
I hauled a yard of gravel in that trailer, which is roughly 3000 lbs...it wasn't happy. Thankfully it was only 3 miles round trip from the landscape place.

Now, think I'll just get it delivered for $20 next time. That whole thing of "do I really need to own a vehicle" thing comes to mind...if wasn't for liking to ride dirt bikes, mountain bikes, hiking and camping...probably not....oh and that whole thing of having to commute to work BS to pay for all of it thing... ha ha. ;):D

That's the truth. I've hauled mulch, dirt, gravel, beds, lumber, etc., but nowadays, delivery fee is pretty reasonable and no reason to tear up your bed getting all that stuff.

I wonder if I'd be better off with a Subaru and a small trailer.

goldenfiber

Enclosed? For a trailer that big, I'd go at least to a 2nd Gen Tacoma, but personally, I would get an 05-06 Tundra for towing duties anything more than 3k lbs on a regular basis. Or even an older F150 V6 would do the job just fine.

I might as well rent a uhaul if moving a load like that is only gonna happen once

Clutch

<---Pass
I might as well rent a uhaul if moving a load like that is only gonna happen once

That is what we did when we moved from Arizona to Idaho, rented a truck and tossed the Taco on a trailer. My wife drove the Trooper and moto trailer. That poor moving truck was so overloaded. My better half is into letter press with lead type, so pretty much a whole antique print shop in there, and all of the house stuff....we piled my truck full of crap too. Thought about dragging it across the scales...but I didn't even want to know how much it weighed. Growing up hauling heavy equipment...I "kinda" knew what I was doing....yeah, I know it was well over loaded. This trip is going to suck...

10491222_10152619460064630_1523248121095650589_n.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
That's the truth. I've hauled mulch, dirt, gravel, beds, lumber, etc., but nowadays, delivery fee is pretty reasonable and no reason to tear up your bed getting all that stuff.

I wonder if I'd be better off with a Subaru and a small trailer.

Really don't haul that much anymore, that load of gravel was for a french drain I put in. Maybe a load of compost every other year for the garden and that is it....and ya know...for how much pavement driving I do. Keep on looking at Subarus and VW's... See that VW is now offering a 6 year/72,000 mile warranty...which takes "some" of the worry of owning a VW. Love how they look and drive...but had horrible experiences with them mechanically. My ex-wife had a Jetta... cringe just thinking about it.

Think I would trust the Subaru better down the occasional dirt road over the VW though. Recently poked my head under each one, and liked what I saw under the Suby better than the VW (4motion/Alltrack that is)

Last edited:

bkg

Explorer

can/should are probably two different things. I've towed my JD2305/JD1025R sub compact tractor - about 2K lbs - on a 5x10. Didn't get near the highway, but it worked... I owned a 6x10 enclosed (should not have sold that), that was about 2k empty... towed that with both a gen2 Tacoma and a gen1 Tundra. Neither liked it, but the Tacoma hated it.... it was like pulling a sail... for some reason, though, our Gen5 4runner towed it fairly well... no idea why.

WP_20160109_11_49_18_Rich_LI.jpg

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Horseshit is better than ****************. And that's true of the real stuff, too. Before moving to Grand Junction I would ride a lot in Wyoming. There was one wet year on the Laramie Enduro that part of the trail was a churned up ankle deep swamp of the stuff for a few hundred yards. Just foul.

@Clutch, 1 gear = 3 speeds. Walking, standing and sitting.

IMG_1408_mid.jpg

bkg

Explorer
Horseshit is better than ****************. And that's true of the real stuff, too. Before moving to Grand Junction I would ride a lot in Wyoming. There was one wet year on the Laramie Enduro that part of the trail was a churned up ankle deep swamp of the stuff for a few hundred yards. Just foul.

View attachment 463682
you're WAY over GVWR! :p :p

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck

I recently towed two U-Hauls with my 2nd gen. A 6x12 utility (open trailer) and this 5x8 box. Based on this I would say a 6x12 U-Haul, the bigger one with the dual axles, would actually be safer than the mid size like this with a single axle.

The reason for that is the brakes. If a 1st gen can get the 6x12 moving, which it probably can although not fast, it would be OK once in a great while. The brakes on my truck faded real fast without trailer brakes and I estimate it only weighed maybe 1,500 lbs since it wasn't packed full (trailer is 900 lbs). I did have 300 lbs in the bed of the truck, too though.

IMG_0245_mid.jpg

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass

View attachment 463682

Nice!

I still have a Voodoo when they first starting making single speeds when the whole craze kinda started. never really felt the need to upgrade...as you know...it does only have one gear...not much to improve upon. MRC Steely Dan 180mm cranks, Chris King hubs, headset, S&M cruiser bars, Moots Ti post.

I used to do most of off-road cycling disciplines. Had a geared XC bike, downhill, dual slalom/mountain cross, BMX 20/24"...even had a roadie bike for training. Never did get around a cyclocross. Now just down my single speed mountain, a couple beach cruisers and my Ute. Got really burnt out on cycling for awhile...forcing myself to get back into it, pretty much just plunk around anymore. The dirt bike pretty much goes above and beyond the single track needs.

-PAXP-deijE.gif
36164_452723894629_4894177_n.jpg

you're WAY over GVWR! :p:p

Ha ha!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior