Concerns with a 91 taco im looking at.. what do I look for?

goldenfiber

How is offroading an auto? Does having a stick benefit more for getting out of sticky spots?

There are some pretty decent deals I have skipped because of automatic.

bkg

Explorer
I think off highway is where the auto would excel. To me it's a matter of daily use, I hate the things.

I think it’s a lot of personal preference. My tacoma is the first rig I’ve wheeled that is an automatic. It took some getting used to after 3 4runners (87,88,89) and my 86 xcab (4.3,r150). In fact, the first time was down right scary.

I prefer the ease of the auto but the engagement of the manual.

goldenfiber

Is a 4runner expensive to maintain or mod? I still cant get over how these are so much cheaper than everything else Ive been seeing.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Is a 4runner expensive to maintain or mod? I still cant get over how these are so much cheaper than everything else Ive been seeing.
Should be similar to Pickups and Tacomas, pretty much the same companies offering armor and suspension. I assume you're talking about 90-95 4Runners, the 2nd gen. For some reason they don't get much notice.

tacollie

Glamper
Me favorite vehicle I owned was a 2000 4runner. 3.4 v6, 5 speed, and rear factory locker. I also had a 1990 with the 3.0. honestly if you don't need the utility of a truck then 4ruuners are the way to go. Lifts are usually cheeper on the 2nd gen and up because you don't have to buy leaf springs. The 4runners were built in Japan even after truck production moved to USA/Mexico. They also have a fully boxed frame. 95 and up has rear disc brakes.

bkg

Explorer
Me favorite vehicle I owned was a 2000 4runner. 3.4 v6, 5 speed, and rear factory locker. I also had a 1990 with the 3.0. honestly if you don't need the utility of a truck then 4ruuners are the way to go. Lifts are usually cheeper on the 2nd gen and up because you don't have to buy leaf springs. The 4runners were built in Japan even after truck production moved to USA/Mexico. They also have a fully boxed frame. 95 and up has rear disc brakes.
4Runner didnt get rear disks until gen 4 - 2003

Clutch

<---Pass
How is offroading an auto? Does having a stick benefit more for getting out of sticky spots?

There are some pretty decent deals I have skipped because of automatic.

It is personal preference. Some guys like the auto better, easier to drive offload...that and if it doesn't have a locker, you can do "poor mans locker" easier....drag the brakes a little...which is what essentially Toyota A-Trac is...but the computer does it for you.

I have both, sure I prefer the manual, but don't mind the auto either. I honestly like the new shiftable 6 speed autos they have...albiet a little video game like, just pretend you're driving Ivan Stewarts Super Off-road. ;) :D .... it is kinda nice to have the option to be lazy and not have to shift. Think that means I am getting old...

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass

Friend just bought an '05 V8 for $6500....in Colorado even. He can get $8500 for it in AZ when he heads back home to sell after his trip.

Shoot, I am even considering of buying it off him.

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
Friend just bought an '05 V8 for $6500....in Colorado even. He can get $8500 for it in AZ when he heads back home to sell after his trip.

Shoot, I am even considering of buying it off him.

Other than the exh manifold issue, the 4.7L is a solid engine. MPG isn't that great, but not horrible, either.

goldenfiber

Im also looking at a '00. Looks pretty decent minus some dings n scrapes in the bumper. From what I could tell in the pics, it doesnt have a e-locker. I dont see a hint of orange on the button.

bkg

Explorer
Other than the exh manifold issue, the 4.7L is a solid engine. MPG isn't that great, but not horrible, either.

if only it were available in part-time 4wd, I'd probably have a 4th gen v8 sport...

Im also looking at a '00. Looks pretty decent minus some dings n scrapes in the bumper. From what I could tell in the pics, it doesnt have a e-locker. I dont see a hint of orange on the button.

Don't worry about the elocker, IMHO. Yeah, it's nice... but if you're going to get into the diffs (ever) for gears, throw in an ARB.

Clutch

<---Pass

He was saying he could squeak 20 mpg on the highway with it, where the V6 in his 1st Get Taco would barely get 17....and that V8 has quite a bit more oomph.

He was looking at trucks, but they were about twice as much. So went with a 4Runner and camp trailer instead. Grabbed a popup for $2500. So for under $10K got quite the setup. These guys on here dropping $100-200K on camp vehicles seems rather silly.

This is the same friend who is retired at age 45.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior