Conqueror wheel bearings

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
We took the Compact up to GSMNP's Cataloochee area over the weekend to watch the elk. It was wonderful weather, a bit brisk at 34 degrees, but had the elk moving about.
The tent was very cozy all closed up and heated briefly at night and in the morning with the Mr. Buddy heater. We also added a Walmart memory foam topper ($24) under the mattress that really did the trick.

But, my fuel economy was horrible. My under-powered 2008 Jeep JK could barely make it up the hills. I got less than 13 mpg --- it averages 21 mpg with mixed driving and usually gets around 23 or 24 on a drive like this without a trailer.

So yesterday I jacked up the trailer and spun the wheels; the port side was making a nasty squeal and was more difficult to turn. I popped off the dustcap and it had a brown grease in there; no sign of seizure or grenading (yet).

Has anybody found a domestic replacement for the South African bearings yet? Swapped out the axle?
I'll probably call Dean and let him know; I know that he'll offer to fix it under warranty --- he's been great so far with follow up and advice. But I'm not at all sure that I'd want to replace the oddball bearing with the same oddball bearing....

Here are few photos from the park meanwhile:

the unlucky bulls without cows:
100_1051.jpg

happy but cold dog, Jessi the Wonder Mutt:
100_1050.jpg

breakfast of champions:
100_1120.jpg

flywgn

Explorer
Bill, we had one of the first Conqs sold in the U.S. and ours had a bit of a bearing squeak at first. I put some caps with grease fittings and made certain they were lubed every 2k miles of travel.

Ours also had a surge-braking system and it occasionally stuck after engaging. With the help of a good local brake mechanic we took the mechanism apart and found a burr was hanging up the movement. In addition I really didn't like the pulsing effect that system had, so I swapped out the whole thing for electric brakes.

Allen R

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
If there are numbers in the races and bearings you might try a local bearing house to see if they have or can get them. Might also have some dimensions when you call. Could be that the numbers don't cross, but the dimensions are something easily found here.

FWIW I've seen all sorts of different greases recommended for trailer bearings, but the grease that I've had the best luck with in wheel bearings of any sort is Redline's CV Joint grease. It is a high temperature, extreme pressure grease and water in the form of condensation has no effect on it. I can't say the same for the supposedly water proof "Marine Trailer Bearing Grease" that I previously tried. Deep water crossings are rare in the lower Left Coast's deserts, but I would not expect this grease to have trouble. I can barely get the stuff off my hands after packing bearings!

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I couldn't see the bearing's number so I cleaned it all up and repacked with Valvolene synthetic; that's what I had in the cabinet.
There's a local member who pm'd me; maybe there's a local trailer shop that's already familiar.
It's a funky-looking axle and bearing that I've never seen before....

I'm hoping that this was the cause of my poor fuel economy; I've also got a call in to see about regearing the Jeep. The JK Wrangler is about the slowest thing on Earth when it has a trailer behind it.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I think I've said this in an other thread, but.

It's very important that you carry extra bearings and seals with you for this model of trailer. Even if you know the seal and bearing numbers it can take days to locate them in a metropolitan area never mind out in the sticks.

USA specification trailer bearings on the other hand are available all day long, carrying replacements is advisable but not essential.

All of the Conqueror trailers sourced from Atlanta have sat since around 2003, I'm not certain what that would have done to the grease in the bearings, but seeing as it's virtually your only moving part I would suggest the bearings be pre-packed and the seals replaced.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Martyn said:
All of the Conqueror trailers sourced from Atlanta have sat since around 2003, I'm not certain what that would have done to the grease in the bearings,...
I'm pretty sure that it turned into peanut butter...

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
It isn't religion, it isn't politics. Not lust for gold, power, or oil. It's not diet, ebonics, or even MTV that's causing global strife.
I've figured it out. All the world's ills are caused by the metric system. :eek:

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hilldweller said:
It isn't religion, it isn't politics. Not lust for gold, power, or oil. It's not diet, ebonics, or even MTV that's causing global strife.
I've figured it out. All the world's ills are caused by the metric system. :eek:

I believe you have it the wrong way around. Although the US government committed to converting to metric decades ago the antiquated imperial system is still in use.

We now have this crazy mixed up system with specs given in fractions and decimals of an inch, components manufactured from imperial and metric standard parts, and confusion rules.

That said when I lived in New Zealand I went to the lumber yard and asked what lengths their 508 mm X 1016 mm came in. The man at the counter looked at me for a while before saying "Do you mean a 2 X 4"

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Martyn said:
I believe you have it the wrong way around. Although the US government committed to converting to metric decades ago the antiquated imperial system is still in use.
I know.
I had this discussion with a colleague yesterday. I'm the senior admin at a training lab for life sciences & chemical analysis equipment; we were trying to figure out the socio-political motivations for not going metric.
We concluded that it was Reagan bravado to blame; cowboy culture.
So, here we are, 28 years later, still waiting for the rest of the world....

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Man, I wish I had remembered you were going on this trip.
I would have come!

Tell me more about this mr. heater buddy. I may need to pick one up before this weekend (camping on the beach in north florida!)

I responded to you regarding T-giving weekend.

I believe that Campa trailer uses the same axle as the Conquerers. I am trying to find out for sure. Perhaps they would know about the bearings.
I'll ask!

Thanks
Dendy

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
nashvillerover said:
Man, I wish I had remembered you were going on this trip.
I would have come!

Tell me more about this mr. heater buddy. I may need to pick one up before this weekend (camping on the beach in north florida!)

I responded to you regarding T-giving weekend.

I believe that Campa trailer uses the same axle as the Conquerers. I am trying to find out for sure. Perhaps they would know about the bearings.
I'll ask!

Thanks
Dendy
We didn't decide about going camping in Cataloochee until about noon on Friday. That's the beauty of having a trailer; it's always ready.

Mr Heater makes this:
http://www.mrheater.com/productdetails_extended.asp?catid=41&id=24
Both Lowes and Home Depot sell their branded version. Home Depot had it on sale for $75 the other day.
I was very surprised how quickly it did the job in the tent. I only warmed it up in the evening and morning though; didn't hook it up to the large tank yet; it wasn't necessary at 34 degrees....
I slept with the fire extinguisher handy anyhow. :Wow1:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Reply from the factory rep:

EDIT: The bearing numbers from the factory rep turned out to be incorrect; do not order these for your Conqueror Compact!!!
Philip@conqueror said:
Hallo Bill,

The part numbers for the bearings is 32006 (outer) 32008 (inner) and the seal is a 45x72x10.

I don't know the inch sizes.

Conqueror Regards

Philip de Vries
philip@conqueror.co.za

Last edited:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Thanks for looking those up.
By seal, does he mean the dust cap?
There would be a bearing buddy that would fit that; wouldn't there?

Edit:
Applied has a branch 20 minutes from my house. Bearings aren't in stock but I should have them in my office by Tuesday.

I'm going to replace both sides and carry a spare set as well.

Thanks all!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan