Considering an AWD Toyota Sienna

ABBB

Im all for safety, especially with teenagers driving, but all I ask is that it can be disabled. My sons Subaru has to go the dealer to have the adaptive cruise and headlights flipped to normal.

And for the rest I have to turn them off every time I start the car.

Would be nice if you could program those things for each driver the way one can program and save a custom seat position for different drivers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yonah

Calling-in from west of the Rockies
My work commute is now about 25 miles a day. It's not bad, but for the last 20 years I lived and worked just minutes apart. That, and wanting to make more long distance trips, made me start thinking about adding something more conventional to add to my personal fleet.

I didn't set out to have multiple vehicles, but you know how it goes: you have your primary rig, you have a raggedy pickup truck for home projects and side jobs, then your wife gets something new and you keep her old vehicle as a spare so you don't have to finish all the work on your primary rig over a weekend...

It has been years since I've actively pursued challenging trails. These days, I'm usually just wanting to enjoy a drive and find a good dispersed site before dark so I can settle in while there's still some daylight.

On a whim, I started looking at mini vans. As a young driver, I added a lot of miles to my mom's 93 Astro Van, so I already have a soft spot for such a platform. Finding AWD options got me even more excited. Then I found that there are 2" and 3" lifts available for the Sienna. Like anything with a lift, I'm sure it shortens the life of critical suspension components, but I can't shake the idea of just how practical something like this would be for me.

I'd keep the GX and continue to build it, but a new, fuel efficient vehicle as a daily driver and road trip rig... Could be the move.

I thought I'd start a conversation to see if any of you are running a lifted Sienna or comparable. If so, what parts have needed increased maintenance? Have you found it lacking what you needed from it on the trails you've chosen?

View attachment 791642

View attachment 791643

I've been away from the forum for awhile, but a friend tipped me off to this thread, so I'll share my experience. I'm a former owner of a Tacoma and a couple of Land Cruisers. A growing family forced the shift to a more passenger-friendly vehicle. We purchased a new 2023 AWD Sienna in January and the vehicle has fit right into our family and it's the perfect platform for us. Toyota reliability, 35+ MPG, modern creature comforts (heated/cooled seats, adaptive cruise control, 360* birds eye camera, lane keep assist, HUD, etc.) AWD, and a surprising aftermarket/enthusiast community; with it being a Toyota, I'm very comfortable with its overall design and receptiveness to user modifications. It's interior and wiring schematics follow the same general design as my previously owned Toyota 4x4s, so simple things like interior disassembly and electrical modifications are straight forward for me. We just completed a coast-to-coast trip in the Sienna and it plugged right along, no complaints.

Since purchasing the Sienna earlier this year, I decided to tastefully modify it to become a better daily kid hauler, road trip vehicle, and eventual weekend warrior for family camping trips down mild dirt roads, etc. A lot of the additions follow the standard recipe for overland vehicle modification: AGM 12v battery upgrade, WeBoost, ARB Linx, 12v ARB air compressor (OBA), suspension helper airbags, rear electrical power distribution system, ARB 12v fridge/freezer, hitch, cargo box, etc. It's been a fun project. My van's modification log (via the Sienna Chat forum) is here (link it to the mod list within the thread). I tried to organize it well, so it's easy to jump around and not get lost in the thread:

I've been considering a 2" suspension lift from Journeys Offroad (previously mentioned in your thread - they're out of Prescott, IIRC), but have added Firestone Coil-Rite airbags and will be adding Sumo Springs to the front coil springs to stiffen up the suspension and gain back some of the ground clearance lost from a big family and all of the associated gear that comes along with young kids. I want to try this before committing the resources to lifting the van. The thing I've noticed about the Sienna's suspension is it really starts to sag with even a few hundred pounds of payload (to include passengers), which is a problem with a vehicle that already sits low to the ground.

These are also some Facebook user groups I'd recommend joining for inspiration and all-around good info from people who have modified Siennas. Some are full-time travelers:

As you noted, the 4th Gen (2021+) Siennas are commanding a premium at the moment due to the short supply and class leading fuel economy due to the hybrid powertrain. Even the higher trim models are hard to locate - trust me, I played that game for the better part of a year. However, I scan FB marketplace daily and see some nicely appointed 3rd Gen AWD models for sale at reasonable prices with regularity.

Best of luck. Do update this thread if you purchase a Sienna. And I recommend setting up an account on Sienna Chat; it's a good community.

Last edited:

86scotty

Cynic
I love the idea of an AWD Sienna and I don't want to derail this thread, in fact I'll be following with great interest, but when compared is the interior size of a medium sized SUV not about the same? If money weren't a concern I'd choose a LC over a Sienna and know it will go about anywhere. Of course, not everyone wants to go anywhere which is a very valid point.

Personally I like the flat floor nature of vans which always keeps me interested in things like this. I can't stand to see a console between the front seats of any van, mini or otherwise, because it almost ceases to be a van. To me the beauty of a van is the pass through from front to back, the flat floor, the seamless box cabin.

Was 35 mpg above a misprint? I do not even know how to react to that. I don't even see how this is possible if so, given as heavy as these things are.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I've abandoned this idea for myself, but I still see the potential.
If it’s economy you’re looking for I’d recommend a 2004-09 Prius. They can be bought for a low price and frequently last to 500k-1,000k miles. Add a 1.5” lift to raise it to normal car height and enjoy. Keep your bigger vehicles for longer trips and more serious stuff.

I know… it’s a van forum and not what I’m supposed to say, but it works for me. I’ve got an ‘08 with 1-5” lift. There hasn’t been a noticeable change in economy, and the CV joints last equally long. Still running 205/55R16 “stock” tires. I’m watching for a decent set of snow tires on rims but haven’t seen the right set yet.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
I’m actually trying to retire my huge K2500 HD Ext Cab for something like an AWD pop top Sienna, like this:
IMG_2661.png

@6.5” stock ground clearance, good mpg, good crash test results, reliable…paired with our old Cabela’s vehicle tent=sweet travel set up.

This last summer we covered about 7,200 miles of western roads and the gas prices all along the left coast and Canada were ridiculously high and absolutely blistered our budget.

We plan to use something like this van set up for our long drives exploring backroads and small towns, staying @ one night in a motel and then 3-4 nights camping in between the motel stays. Driving this cautiously on FS roads ought to work okay too. So it’ll be happily back to the basics for us, after camping in the FSC Tiger for the past @6 years.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I love the idea of an AWD Sienna and I don't want to derail this thread, in fact I'll be following with great interest, but when compared is the interior size of a medium sized SUV not about the same? If money weren't a concern I'd choose a LC over a Sienna and know it will go about anywhere. Of course, not everyone wants to go anywhere which is a very valid point.

Personally I like the flat floor nature of vans which always keeps me interested in things like this. I can't stand to see a console between the front seats of any van, mini or otherwise, because it almost ceases to be a van. To me the beauty of a van is the pass through from front to back, the flat floor, the seamless box cabin.

Was 35 mpg above a misprint? I do not even know how to react to that. I don't even see how this is possible if so, given as heavy as these things are.
The new hybrid one posts pretty solid 40mpg averages for a couple of friends but those are FWD only. Regardless pretty amazing mileage for a pavement rig with that much payload/ volume to play with. 2017 Yellowstone trip we stayed in one location for 9 days. We had a new neighbor every night, three were Sienna’s setup with a rear bed and creative camping gear stowage setup. All three were people who do Yellowstone every summer and two were hitting Glacier NP also 3+ month trip.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
My aunt and uncle live in a logging camp that is only accessible by logging roads that have minimal maintenance. Sometimes the road borders on impassible. Washboard and potholes that swallow a whale are common. There are warning signs that the 12' wide off highway logging trucks may not drive on the right hand side of the road.

They first had a 1/2 ton Ford van, which was replaced by a one ton Ford van... eventually both Ford vans were retired and replaced with a Toyota Sienna van. Last I heard it was going strong after more than 10 years of almost daily driving on what is essentially an unmaintained logging road 6 months a year. They are incredible vans.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
We had an awd one in the family for many yrs. I’d consider a fwd one for the mileage and crazy low cost of maintenance etc. Toss some good tires on it and go. If you actually need AWD? It was garbage plus no spare tire not worth it. My dad dumped it after getting stranded the second time with a flat and no spare. He pulled his ancient Explorer out of retirement and ran that another 8yrs. 340,000 miles on that stupid Explorer when we sold it for no joke $2800 still running doing daily chores.

If you need a reliable as hell giant Camry get the FWD Sienna its great! If you “need” an AWD or 4x4 vehicle skip the AWD Sienna its crazy expensive for the minimal added capability. Plus you’ll need to find somewhere to store a spare tire👍

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998